Thu, Sep 19, 12:50 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:38 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Feedback regarding new web design

3D-Mobster ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2018 at 5:15 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 7:03 AM

I like the new design in general, it looks better than the old one.

However it is running very slow and it takes between 5-15 seconds for anything to happen when you press a link. I haven't seen other posts mentioning this and assume its some startup issues with the new layout, that will hopefully get fixed fast, as its pretty painful browsing the site. :)

One thing I don't like about the new design and seem to be an ongoing issue at the website, is the chaotic number of forums and how you focus on these or lack focusing on these. It seems like a sort of the more the better strategy.

My main concern in this regard and with the new design is this image:

Untitled-2.jpg

First of all I really like that you have a menu to the left and when selected show sub menus on the right, that is good.

However looking at the sub menus to the right, it seems to follow the same chaotic strategy as the forums themselves, I have mentioned this a lot of times before and it constantly seem to haunt the site. What I mean by this is both the naming of categories, but in this case especially how they are prioritized as being important. And honestly it seems that is is done either completely random or by someone, not knowing Renderosity very well. :) (I assume this is done randomly, to be honest because its so way off the mark that it can't be on purpose)

Will start from the left:

Renderosity

Changes wanted in the community

Suggestion box

Are there any huge difference between these, that would justify why both have to be there? Compared to combining them into one called "Website suggestions", "Website feedback" or simply "Feedback" for example? You even have a green Feedback button on the right site --->

How many feedback places is needed :D

Premium tutorials

Seems very odd that these requires a forum for themselves? especially when you actually have a look in the forum it self and see there is 1 thread here. Why not assume that people doing a premium tutorial and might need help with them, would post for help in the software forum for which the tutorial were meant? The chance of them getting help posting in this very specific forum is very slim, if its needed at all, when looking at the activity here in the first place.

I could mention more weird stuff here, but to avoid the post being to long, which it will be, ill move on. :D

Software

This is where things really go wrong. Im not even sure where these categories come from. First one being Modo? I click the link and get told that the page doesn't exist, I look in my settings to see if I have turned it off as I have done that with a lot of forums, but there are nothing called Modo here!!. That seems pretty weird.

But this is not unique for Modo, it seems to be the case with several of the categories in this list.

Vistapro

Truespace

UVmapper

Seriously!! :D

I wont have a go at these software, but looking at Renderosity as a whole and someone asked me to explain what it was about, I wouldn't say that its a good place with forums for Truespace, UVmapper and Vistapro... There are no focus on these very specific programs anywhere on Renderosity... its mind blowing to me, that someone haven't pointed this out that these categories might not be the most relevant ones, before deciding to releasing the new design.

The absolute most active forum on Renderosity is the Poser one, so why is that not the first one in the list, wouldn't that make a whole lot more sense?

General

This is a rough one and hardly know where to start. If someone asked me to categorized what general things about graphics or art could be. I would probably add stuff, like 2D, 3D, Photography, Lighting, Animation, Gallery, Work in progress and could even put in gaming graphics since you have that. Fair enough with hardware and technical. But to me this would be good names for general forums. As their names aim wide. 2D art can include a lot of methods doesn't have to be pencil, but could be painting as well etc., 3D as well could be all kinds of theories etc. that doesn't relate to any specific 3d program.

Then you have conference, expos and workshops here? Which seems wrong in a general section and maybe better suited in a News category of some sort. There are two Gaming forums, which seems a bit overkill, when taking into account the amount of games that flows around on the site :)

CSS? That seems really specific and not even sure why it have a forum here? And clicking the link result in the page not existing anyway, so maybe that answered my own question, that it probably shouldn't be.

Poser

Then there is the always odd Poser specific category. With a forum for almost every single version ever released. Which I pointed out before, makes no sense and simply causes more issues that it solves. People regardless of version post primarily in the Poser forum and normally say or is asked which Poser version they refer to, should there be a need for it. Now it makes sense why they would do this, as new versions of Poser are released, more people move towards these. So the chance of someone posting in the Poser 4, 5 ,6 forum would get help gets very slim as less people will check this, as they might not really be interested or remember these versions very well.

However people using Poser 4,5,6 might have very basic questions that is most likely not related to a specific version, so to get help they post in the Poser forum with the rest of the community. Just hovering the mouse over the actually name of the forum, I can see that not only is this a general forum for Poser 4,5,6 its actually the technical forum..... now that is impressive :D

Its like Microsoft making a forum for each and every single windows release starting with DOS, it just not a very good way of doing it.

Then there is Moho Pro 12, which is sort of confusing, yes this is developed by SM. But have nothing to do with Poser. So why that is placed in a Poser category, rather than the Software category im not really sure? But guess this might be another result of the chaotic structuring of forums and the strategy, that if there can be a forum then there should be one, regardless of whether these make sense or not.

I really hope that someone working on the website design read this, you might not even agree with everything... or anything for that matter, but this is simply not a good way of structuring a website with forums. There need to be some sort of sense and logic behind how you organize this, so they are useful for the community and not just a long list of random headlines placed in main categories where they don't belong, it causes more confusion than sense.

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2018 at 11:53 AM

This is the first Rendo site update that seems like an improvement instead of a decline!

I especially appreciate the way you're bucking the modern trend. Every website is sliding toward gray rectangles and gray text on a gray background. Basically heading toward all-gray default nothingness. Rendo is moving toward MORE SHAPES and MORE COLORS, which is refreshing and nourishing to the eyes..

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Lyne ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2018 at 1:11 PM

Ugly, can't find things...all business, no draw for ARTISTIC PEOPLE!!! HARD to negotiate ...hate the dry ugly marketplace look... where IS the Prime Forum?? Really guys, it was fine before and I FINALLY STARTED SPENDING MORE here...now I'm lost and put off...WHERE IS THE "POSER ONLY CATAGORY" in the marketplace?? I HATE trying to find POSER products among the DS products, so I just leave ... :(

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

3D-Mobster ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2018 at 5:00 PM · edited Thu, 12 April 2018 at 5:06 PM

I think ugly is a strong word, Its neutral, maybe a little boring, but only really the forum part i think, but then again its the forum, what people write should be whats interesting :D, the rest have pictures, the gallery and marketplace is full of them. The prime forum is still there and you can still filter Poser items objects in the marketplace, none of that have been changed. Not saying that it couldn't be better, but the new design doesn't seem to have made any changes to these things. Its take a few more clicks to get to the forums that are not listed as a sub category, which I think is fine, as long as these are not the "main" ones. But for this to be of any use those shown in the list have to be the main forums, otherwise this functionality is just clutter.

Also before Renderosity started to change the site there were a lot of commercials everywhere, which added a lot of color, but members complained about those as well so they got removed as far as I know, which I personally think is good as a forum shouldn't be filled with stuff like that. Its fine on the front page, gallery etc.

So im not really sure what you would like to see in regards to the website being more appealing to the artistic people, do you just mean the grey and black theme that you don't like or do you have examples of forums/marketplaces that are much better at this? Daz3d is the most obvious site to compare to, but I don't really see them doing a better job at this. They just went with a white background :D

Maybe its because I don't really understand what you mean with "no draw for artistic people"? Do you have any examples of marketplaces/forums that does this well? I would like to see them, just so I know what you mean or what you are aiming for.

Michael_C ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2018 at 7:30 AM

I find the new interface with its cascading menus somewhat harder to navigate but most of all I miss the top menu section staying locked at the top of the screen. Now I need to scroll all the way back up to access it. The old interface was much better than the DAZ interface and now it's taken a step down closer to that one. Please don't remove the products opening a new tab.

My Store - My Gallery - My Freebies - My Web Site

Kokor ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2018 at 10:23 AM · edited Fri, 13 April 2018 at 10:24 AM

I love the clean look, but it is just as hard if not harder to find things. I didn't like the old interface, it was clunky and seemed amateurish, and it was not obvious where to find areas or refine and filter marketplace searches. This new design seems well considered, but searching has gone from "not obvious" to almost "we're hiding it from you". I don't mean to be harsh, and I hope the designers take this with the humor its meant. I think it is an improvement if only because it just looks nicer. But yeah, layout, finding things, that needs some review.

UHF ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2018 at 1:52 PM

I can't use it or understand it. I thought the original store layout was useful. I rarely venture into the forums because I think the UI sucks. (Daz is better, but I'm not keen on it either.)

FrankT ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2018 at 1:52 PM

fwiw, I rather like it. You can get to the old forum layout easily if you want to. I haven't looked around the marketplace much yet because tbh, I'm not buying much these days

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

tonyvilters ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2018 at 4:39 PM

Each and every update it gets slower, and slower, and slo-wer, and s-l o-w-e-r, and more adds, and m o r e a d d s . . . . and more room for more adds.

On a small tablet you need scrolling and scrolling, and scrolling, just to get to the first useful line.

I am gonna make a second list, just like I do with YouTube : Every add that interrupts a YouTube movie or tutorial I am looking at gets added to the list : "Never to buy from."

tonyvilters ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2018 at 4:43 PM

Even on this 1920x1080 screen, there is not a single line of useful information on the first page. Even on this screen, you have to scroll down to get to "something".

Sorry guys, Adds = NO Information AT ALL. Nada, rien de knots, nichts, => pure "lost space".

tonyvilters ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2018 at 4:44 PM

And still

Everything

IS

VERTICALLY

STACKED

WHY? ? ? ? ?

tonyvilters ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2018 at 4:45 PM · edited Fri, 13 April 2018 at 4:46 PM

Don't

have

enough

horizontal

room?

Huh?

Huh?

Huh?

1.000 pixels of the 1920 are empty.........grey.

And in

the

middle

everything

is

vertical.

Got It ?

No,

aparently

not

yet.

LOL.

-Timberwolf- ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2018 at 6:16 AM

Looks good, don't like navigation. Please, one click access to Forum, Gallery and Marketplace.

romanceworks ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2018 at 4:03 PM

Please don't hide the Gallery upload button in galleries and make us do an extra click to upload.

poisinivy ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2018 at 7:02 PM

I like the looks the colors are awesome and the store layout is okay , but navigation is a turd-blossom to find anything else. Please list the Primes members pages, forums and gallery's as a separate Nav tab instead of making us hunt for them. you may find a wicked drop in users interacting with your site if we can't find anything. Just saying

TaliDesade ( ) posted Mon, 16 April 2018 at 7:15 PM

Its not terrible, but its not really great, either. I do like a clean design, but there is something that feels sort of neutered about the front page. I can't properly explain it, and its not just because its different and new. The front page doesn't feel like a proper portal into the site that Renderosity is. I think it could be more inviting, and maybe more colorful. While some people are talking about the splashes of color in buttons, the site itself is still mostly dark grey.

Mobile shouldn't be a huge concern. It is pretty easy to make a site work on mobile, and more over, mobile processors are more powerful than ever. People have more power in their phones than Windows XP based systems of a decade or so ago. The only concern for mobile should be data use and formatting. But this is an art site, you kind of need to show pictures, so there's no way around that other than compressing pictures for mobile.

taoz ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2018 at 2:42 AM · edited Tue, 17 April 2018 at 2:45 AM

Vendor search doesn't work, no matter what names I enter it either returns nothing or give a HTTP 500 error, and the old drop-down vendor list is gone, so currently no easy way to find a particular vendor's store.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Tue, 17 April 2018 at 1:06 PM

To find a vendor store

Goto google

Search renderosity vendorname

Jules53757 ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2018 at 3:32 AM

taoz posted at 10:30AM Wed, 18 April 2018 - #4328475

Vendor search doesn't work, no matter what names I enter it either returns nothing or give a HTTP 500 error, and the old drop-down vendor list is gone, so currently no easy way to find a particular vendor's store.

No idea what you are doing, the vendor search works fine, I tested it with several vendor names, all works well.

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

taoz ( ) posted Wed, 18 April 2018 at 9:15 AM

Jules53757 posted at 4:07PM Wed, 18 April 2018 - #4328514

taoz posted at 10:30AM Wed, 18 April 2018 - #4328475

No idea what you are doing, the vendor search works fine, I tested it with several vendor names, all works well.

Yes it's working now I can see, just couldn't find anything yesterday, trying several names. Maybe a temporary glitch?

infinity10 ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2018 at 6:26 AM

Works well for me, no problem, no complaints. I am a happy camper.

Eternal Hobbyist

SheikhalMaktoum ( ) posted Fri, 20 April 2018 at 10:51 AM

The brand spanking new marketplace design brought me back here after many years. It looks great!
There's still toooooooo many forums and accessing them involves too many clicks. I shouldn't have to scroll through a menu to pick something. One click on a header that says 'Forums'. Quick and easy always wins.

mightymysterio ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2018 at 3:49 PM

It would be really good if I could upload artwork with a link in the dropdown with my username to the far right of the upper level of the screen.

Right now, I can only do so by first selecting "Galleries." Strangely enough, if I go to my OWN gallery via the dropdown with my username, there's no "Upload" link. Very strange design quirk.

poisinivy ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2018 at 6:25 PM

I can tell you what I don't like. thats all the emails I have started getting about gallery uploads for sale..Dang rendo you filled my email box full of shit about gallery upload for sale. Its funny I don't ever remember subscribing to anything about sale items in the gallery .. I wonder why i am getting them now I have no interest in buying other peoples render when I can make my own. NOW how do I unsubscribe from it Gallery sales list? .. this weekend I had over a 100 emails about gallery post that are for sale. its madding i tell you

maneki_neko ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2018 at 9:48 AM

NEW since what, yesterday or sth... on **every single page ** in rendo, when i load the page i get this err msg:

"A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: https://ajax.googleapis.com/aj…ibs/jquery/2.1.3/jquery.min.js:3 "

sometimes clicking on "continue" will do the trick, sometimes i have to stop it otherwise it rolls & rolls and nothing happens. maybe it's due to the new navigation? anyone else having this problem?

IN THE END, MERITOCRACY HAS NOT ONLY PERMEATED OUR DAILY LIVES AND WORK, BUT ALSO OUR HEARTS, OUR MINDS AND OUR PERCEPTION OF ART...

sunfish ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2018 at 11:07 AM

The user interface and also the navigation are extremely dark. That really endangers every healthy eye!

maneki_neko ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2018 at 5:12 AM

**PLEASE ** please plz DON'T make the old search disappear!!! if you want, keep both options. but while the new search system _might _be useful in certain cases, it's useless in others. i just searched for sth, and while the new system would have made me uselessly wander thru gigabits of pages, i found what i wanted in under 10 secs when i switched to old. DON'T FIX WHAT'S NOT BROKEN. if the old search had its flaws, the new one is even worse. keep the old or both plz.

IN THE END, MERITOCRACY HAS NOT ONLY PERMEATED OUR DAILY LIVES AND WORK, BUT ALSO OUR HEARTS, OUR MINDS AND OUR PERCEPTION OF ART...

sloan ( ) posted Sun, 20 May 2018 at 8:08 AM

How do I find a specific vendor now if I don't remember exactly how they spell their username? The only full list of vendors that I have run across is one that has each person's personal icon next to their name in a long scrolling list since there's only 3 or four in each row. I ain't gonna scroll through it all just to try to figure out how a vendor whose name starts with say S spells it out. Think about bringing back that dropdown list that used to be accessible at the top in the MP, or giving us a quick-drop to the S area (in this example) where you click the S at the very top and all that idiotic scrolling is done for ya.

mrinal ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2018 at 11:13 PM

Can we have the option to use a lighter theme please? Nothing wrong with the dark theme, but the vast majority of websites I use frequently have a white background and it really hurts the eyes while switching browser tabs.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.