Thu, Oct 3, 2:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 03 11:45 am)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Any advice on doing a Poser reload / re-installation?

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Tue, 19 February 2019 at 8:22 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 12:20 PM

I think my current version of Poser Pro 11 (Win 10, 64-bit) has become unstable. Lots of small things have been bugging me for a while:

• Frequent pauses with "Program Not Responding" while saving files (eventually comes back)
  • Can't see the Brush in the Fitting Room (tried multiple settings, but no luck)
  • Odd, slow behavior now and then (I have 32 GB RAM and often only have 1 fig in the scene)

So, I'm about to bite the bullet and do a re-installation. I already know how to preserve my Runtimes (and reattach them after the re-installation).

Are there any tips or advice I should follow or know about before I uninstall my old version and re-install it again?

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 
Alienware m16 R2 Laptop | Windows 11 Home | 64GB RAM |  Intel Core Ultra 7 155H 1.40 GHz | Nvidia RTX 4070 Laptop GPU 8GB 4608 CUDA Cores
mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com   |   Poser Noir Comics Tutorial   |   Illustrations Honored by Renderosity

PenelopeFlynn ( ) posted Tue, 19 February 2019 at 10:10 AM

If your Poser Pro 11 is an upgrade, make sure you have both the original serial number and the upgrade serial number on hand. You will need them both to restart Poser.

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Tue, 19 February 2019 at 10:33 AM

PenelopeFlynn posted at 10:31AM Tue, 19 February 2019 - #4346525

If your Poser Pro 11 is an upgrade, make sure you have both the original serial number and the upgrade serial number on hand. You will need them both to restart Poser.

Thanks! Good to know. I just checked, and thank goodness I wrote "Full Retail Purchase" in my notes. Sometimes being a compulsive note taker pays off! I'll keep that in mind for the future, though.

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 
Alienware m16 R2 Laptop | Windows 11 Home | 64GB RAM |  Intel Core Ultra 7 155H 1.40 GHz | Nvidia RTX 4070 Laptop GPU 8GB 4608 CUDA Cores
mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com   |   Poser Noir Comics Tutorial   |   Illustrations Honored by Renderosity

donnena ( ) posted Tue, 19 February 2019 at 1:18 PM

Sounds more like you are over loading your ram. Be patient!
Or you can blow away your preferences and let poser rebuild them on the next boot.
Please see the SM site for the directions. https://support.smithmicro.com/customer/portal/articles/1982174-solving-weird-issues-with-poser-by-removing-the-preferences

;>

Andy!

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Tue, 19 February 2019 at 1:33 PM

donnena posted at 1:31PM Tue, 19 February 2019 - #4346591

Sounds more like you are over loading your ram. Be patient!
Or you can blow away your preferences and let poser rebuild them on the next boot.
Please see the SM site for the directions. https://support.smithmicro.com/customer/portal/articles/1982174-solving-weird-issues-with-poser-by-removing-the-preferences

Thanks, but I don't think that RAM is the culprit. I have 32 GB of RAM and it is crapping out on a scene with only one or two figures and very low subdivision (if any). Additionally, it didn't used to be this slow and unstable. And would RAM cause it to crash so much, with only a single figure in the scene?

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 

gypsyangel ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2019 at 4:03 PM

Yeah, I'm headed for a reload if I can't figure this fustercluck out... I'm getting an error and immediate shut down on trying to load. I've run a battery of scans on Windows and it's NOT the problem. My Poser 11 icon failed the second day.

I am not in the mood to try and learn a moody program that I have to reinstall every other week. ?

poser11-error.jpg

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2019 at 11:04 PM · edited Wed, 20 February 2019 at 11:05 PM

gypsyangel posted at 11:01PM Wed, 20 February 2019 - #4346709

Yeah, I'm headed for a reload if I can't figure this fustercluck out... I'm getting an error and immediate shut down on trying to load. I've run a battery of scans on Windows and it's NOT the problem. My Poser 11 icon failed the second day.

I am not in the mood to try and learn a moody program that I have to reinstall every other week. ?

How many times has this happened to you? My Poser Pro 11 installation is more than two years old, and I do think it had something to do with Windows updates. I definitely have not had problems out of the gate, nor have I needed to reinstall it every few weeks. I don't blame you for being frustrated (I know I am), but this is a great program and vers 11 definitely has some cool features worth learning.

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 

gypsyangel ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2019 at 11:22 PM

It's acted weird from the beginning. First thing it did was refuse to open the help pdf. It opened it once. It refused to ever open it again. I had to go dig it out of the installation so I could figure things out. Then my libraries decided not to open until I hit them 10 or 15 times. Then the icon disappeared. Still not sure what happened to that. The link has the default windows icon. Now? It just refuses to open all together. I walked away from Poser shortly after 2014, and have been using DAZ since. This isn't making me want to spend much time in the program...

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2019 at 12:24 PM

gypsyangel posted at 12:22PM Thu, 28 February 2019 - #4346724

It's acted weird from the beginning. First thing it did was refuse to open the help pdf. It opened it once. It refused to ever open it again. I had to go dig it out of the installation so I could figure things out. Then my libraries decided not to open until I hit them 10 or 15 times. Then the icon disappeared. Still not sure what happened to that. The link has the default windows icon. Now? It just refuses to open all together. I walked away from Poser shortly after 2014, and have been using DAZ since. This isn't making me want to spend much time in the program...

I don't blame you for being frustrated. I haven't bitten the bullet and done the re-installation yet because I'm on a deadline (I just keep saving my files often, and increment the filename (ver 1, 1a, 1b, etc.) so I have backups in case something goes wrong after a crash. Once this deadline is over, though, I'm going to take the time to rebuild the system (Possibly with a larger hard drive at the same time, which would let me keep Poser on the SSD portion, rather than on the disk portion – I'm hoping that will give me a little boost in speed).

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.