Sun, Oct 6, 8:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Poser 11.2 Update...is it out for download now?

blackbonner ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 6:02 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 8:29 AM

Hi there, maybe im a bit to early but today is September 16 and the anounced Update for Poser 11 is a no-show so far. Did i miss something? Is there a special place for the download? And how about a link to this place, perhabs on the frontpage of this website?

RobZhena ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 6:16 AM

Now set for 19 September. Amazing new stuff just reaching the early adopters. It’s worth a few days, believe me!

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 6:32 AM

I second that Rob!!!

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

blackbonner ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 6:41 AM

Thank you for replying. It would be nice if rendo posted a disclaimer. I'm sure i'm not the only one who is waiting and browsing the site to find the pressure's Update. Okay, now i know i have to wait.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 7:20 AM

The Poser alert is still showing a tentative date of the 16th, but I got confirmation elsewhere that the 19th is the projected target date.

blackbonner ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 7:30 AM

Where do i find this Poser alert? But most importantly, where do I find the poser update, when it's ready for download? Will it be hosted on Renderosity or did they create a separat place? Sorry for bothering you, i am clearly addicted to this software. ;)

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 8:52 AM

I am an early adopter checking for program irregularities and one of the new features that I noticed is an alert bell included in the IU. We haven't been alerted as to where the download the files yet.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 9:04 AM

I am assuming it will show up in the download manager...?

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

blackbonner ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 9:17 AM

Thanks again! I will drop by on Sep 19 to see what is going on and wish all the early adopters the best. I'm eager to read some of your experiences after the date Sep 19. As far as I know, you are not allowed to share information until the test phase is done, right?

Rhia474 ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 10:36 AM

https://www.posersoftware.com/article/428/why-you-should-update-to-poser-112-on-sept-19?fbclid=IwAR22WbIbUHZuReIJYxdO2fRslBG_sq1UisMxqE_59e6acw5_GMcuxQqUh8w

Please read that article, it should answer most of your questions. It is as official as it gets, and the team was getting out information on a regular basis while early adopters were testing in the form of articles on that site and also linking on the Rendo facebook.

blackbonner ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 10:53 AM

Thank you very much, that's all I need to know on one single page. Rhia474 posted at 10:51AM Mon, 16 September 2019 - #4362114

https://www.posersoftware.com/article/428/why-you-should-update-to-poser-112-on-sept-19?fbclid=IwAR22WbIbUHZuReIJYxdO2fRslBG_sq1UisMxqE_59e6acw5_GMcuxQqUh8w

Please read that article, it should answer most of your questions. It is as official as it gets, and the team was getting out information on a regular basis while early adopters were testing in the form of articles on that site and also linking on the Rendo facebook.

3doutlaw ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 12:04 PM

Hi, so I want to move my Poser 11.1 install to my laptop, to get ready for this update. Would I go ahead and install it now? Any known issues trying to install it now? Sorry, I have not been following along too close, as I was waiting for a more certain release date...and got it today in email.

3doutlaw ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 12:18 PM

...also, is there anything that identifies "new content" versus prior included content?

I customize my Runtimes, so running a bulk content installer would probably add a LOAD of duplicate stuff into my runtime, since it is not in the original default install location. In the past there was installers for PoserAnimals.exe, Posercartoons.exe, etc...will there be a PoserNew112Content.exe, or something? Any other way to know?

RFreise ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 12:54 PM

Well I signed up for the early adopter when the announcement came out and never heard anything

3doutlaw ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 1:16 PM

So, I sent my questions in as a support ticket on PoserSoftware.com. (not sure if this is the official support area) I did not see a way to create an account...and my old Smith Micro account info did not work. That being said, it did let me submit a ticket...but no email response that anyone received it? (and no way to check on it, since I don't have an account...was hoping submit would create one)

Has anyone used the support on that site? (PoserSoftware.com)

3doutlaw ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 2:08 PM

OK, maybe I was impatient, I got an invite to the support site 😁

3doutlaw ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 2:25 PM

Than again, I am ticket #746. Should I be worried that the software update is not released, and there are already 745 tickets ahead of me? 😆

willyb53 ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2019 at 5:09 PM
Online Now!

Probably would not be too concerned, many of those relate to things like removing all references to Smith Micro as they were found, spelling errors etc. There are daily updates for the testers containing the fixes for previously found problems.

Bill

People that know everything by definition can not learn anything

Byrdie ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2019 at 11:40 AM

I see this new announcement refers to the update coming on the 19th as being for PoserPro 11 with no reference at all to plain ol' Poser 11 users. Yes, I know standard Poser is being phased out but right now I cannot upgrade; does this mean no more Poser fixes for me at all and it stops working after Sept. 19? :confused Byrdie looks confused:

an0malaus ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2019 at 12:51 PM · edited Tue, 17 September 2019 at 12:57 PM

[Peels away corner of NDA tape over mouth to utter] I've just been given permission to post this Why you should update to Poser 11.2

The contents were sent to, I presume, all of the registered owners of Poser from the Smith Micro database.

If it does not clearly state that this is a free update for all registered Poser users, that is the understanding I was given. My apologies if that is in any way incorrect, but that is what I was led to believe.

Explicitly, @Byrdie, I think that the intention is every Poser 11 user, whether Pro or not will need to upgrade to the new version to keep using Poser when the SM licence servers go away. Nothing prior to Poser 11 will be affected. No cost has been mentioned for a standard to pro migration (other than the implicit bandwidth costs of your own internet connection, of course)

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.

willyb53 ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2019 at 1:18 PM
Online Now!

And for the PP2014 Game DEV users, quote from jennblake:

NO ONE HAS TO BUY anything if they are using Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev...their license will work to install Poser Pro 11.2

Bill

3doutlaw ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2019 at 1:32 PM

So, can I just use the 11.2 installer with my 11.1 license key, or is it an upgrade, and I need to fist install 11.1, and then run this as an upgrade on top of it?

willyb53 ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2019 at 1:35 PM
Online Now!

If you have any P11 key, it should be good, It is a complete release.

Bill

3doutlaw ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2019 at 4:31 PM

Great thanks, then I will wait to just load it direct on Thursday.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2019 at 5:19 PM

To clarify: this installation REQUIRES an uninstall of previous versions. If you have Poser installed, the new version will uninstall it for you - but if you don't, don't bother installing the old one, go straight to the new installer.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

gate ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2019 at 5:51 PM

So if I understand the whole thing correctly .... there will not be a update ?! you have to uninstall Poser and reinstall the new full version. this might cause some little disasters for some users as having Pyton scripts and personal setups sorted and arranged all would get lost and one has to rearrange the whole Poser Preferences. hoping that there will be an option to keep the Preferences and Installed pyton scripts as for some it really might cause many hours of work rearranging it all just because it is a bridge release without any changes.

The second worry is .... does the activation path remain the same " C:ProgramDataPoser11 " as Poser 11 caused sometimes errors and after crashes the licence got corrupted so some users had to delete the Licence folder to be able to reactivate poser . this crash caused that Poser could not boot and is the only way to fix the Issue. If the Licence " Activation Path " has been changed it sure would be Important to know where the new Path will be after the Update.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2019 at 6:00 PM

It won't delete your entire Poser folder - pretty sure it will keep your python scripts in place. (I say "pretty sure" because somewhere along testing I manually deleted my Poser folder to make sure I was testing the correct stuff, so I lost my scripts because of that.) In worst case, you can copy your entire Python folder somewhere else before installing, run the installer and then paste the Python folder over, telling it to not replace files that are already there (so that you keep possible new versions of base Python scripts)

And your preferences will be kept if, during installation, you ask the installer to use the existing preferences.There are the usual options to delete, backup (default option) or use existing preferences - just make sure not to skip through this option during installation.

This is the same as some other updates we've had for Poser before - the installer itself will uninstall, then install the new version.

I don't have an answer to your second worry - I've never had that problem.

- - - - - - 

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2019 at 6:17 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 7:14PM Tue, 17 September 2019 - #4362333

In worst case, you can copy your entire Python folder somewhere else before installing, run the installer and then paste the Python folder over, telling it to not replace files that are already there (so that you keep possible new versions of base Python scripts)

That's exactly what I did yesterday, though what I did was just keep the addon scripts I installed like, for instance, all my Netherworks goodies. That way I can add them back without having to worry about reinstalling an old version of a default Poser Python script that's been updated.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Doc000 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 7:49 AM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 7:45AM Wed, 18 September 2019 - #4362328

To clarify: this installation REQUIRES an uninstall of previous versions. If you have Poser installed, the new version will uninstall it for you - but if you don't, don't bother installing the old one, go straight to the new installer.

OK, that just sent my panic levels through the roof. I HATE updating programs that work perfectly fine right now. Why the hell does the whole thing need to be uninstalled.?

Do we need to back up stuff? If so, which stuff should we be backing up?

Thanks Rendo...you just shot my stress level sky high.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 9:13 AM

Doc000 posted at 10:07AM Wed, 18 September 2019 - #4362384

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 7:45AM Wed, 18 September 2019 - #4362328

OK, that just sent my panic levels through the roof. I HATE updating programs that work perfectly fine right now. Why the hell does the whole thing need to be uninstalled.?

Do we need to back up stuff? If so, which stuff should we be backing up?

Thanks Rendo...you just shot my stress level sky high.

Because the program needs to change some things at base-level, and for that an update isn't enough. Remember that the very registration server is changing, and the old one will stop working - Rendo isn't to blame for this, SM is the one that instated the phone-home system for Poser 11.

The installer will ask you first if you want to uninstall the previous one, but if you refuse it will just shut down. Your old Poser 11 will stop working anyway because it won't be able to phone home - the "number" has changed, so to say.

I'm pretty sure the only thing you need to back up is your scripts folder - maybe your entire Runtime IF you don't use external runtimes (those will NOT be touched). If you want to protect yourself against a possibility of your own absent-mindedness, you can backup your preferences folder in case you forget to tell the installer to use previous preferences (but if you forget to use that option, the installer will backup your preferences anyway, so you CAN recover them later).

- - - - - - 

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 9:45 AM

I'm running tests here. Mind you, I have both Poser and all my runtimes (including the default one) installed in a hard drive other than my Windows one, and it's advised not to use the Shared Documents folder for Runtime anyway, since forever, because possible bugs.

Process:

-Added EzSkin3 to Poser 11 folder (because I currently had no custom scripts installed so I added this for test).

-Added one of my La Femme products into Poser 11 Content folder (aka default runtime).

-Uninstalled (via Window's "Uninstall or Change a Program" window) Poser Early Adopter version which is what I was using.

-Installed SM's latest Poser Pro 11 version, remembering to chose "Use Existing Preference Files" when I'm prompted about that. Same installation folder - I:/Poser 11 for me - and default runtime folder - I:/Poser 11 Content for me.

-Ran the installer for current Poser 11.2 early adopter version. It didn't ask me if I wanted to uninstall the previous version, like it does when we install new versions of the early adopter program, for some reason, but it didn't prompt me for a Poser folder, which leads me to believe it's found the old installation correctly. Prompts me for a content folder however, which I'm pointing to the same folder I was using before (I:/Poser 11 Content in my case). Again, it asks if I want to backup existing preferences, I tell it to USE my existing preferences.

-Poser 11.2 loads with my preferences intact, my custom layout is there, my render presets are there. EzSkin is there. My product is correctly inside the default Content folder.

- - - - - - 

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 9:56 AM

On the download page, the files there are dated last evening; are they 11.2?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 10:28 AM

All of the Early Adopter versions are 11.2 - and then some. The one that's currently there, posted 09-17-2019 10:09 pm, is 11.2.263

- - - - - - 

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 10:34 AM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 11:33AM Wed, 18 September 2019 - #4362407

All of the Early Adopter versions are 11.2 - and then some. The one that's currently there, posted 09-17-2019 10:09 pm, is 11.2.263

Ok, so it's not the Gold Release. Thanx!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Doc000 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 10:55 AM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 10:50AM Wed, 18 September 2019 - #4362396

Because the program needs to change some things at base-level, and for that an update isn't enough. Remember that the very registration server is changing, and the old one will stop working - Rendo isn't to blame for this, SM is the one that instated the phone-home system for Poser 11.

The installer will ask you first if you want to uninstall the previous one, but if you refuse it will just shut down. Your old Poser 11 will stop working anyway because it won't be able to phone home - the "number" has changed, so to say.

OK, can someone clarify this for me, since everybody keeps mentioning it? I don't recall my Poser ever doing this "phone home" thing, unless it's so far in the background that I just don't notice it. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've used it a few times when my DSL was down, and I had no internet connection.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 12:46 PM

Just did the "early adopter" download to 11.2._______. This far, no issues. However, I didnt find the files for Dawn, Dusk, and the additional animals. Not that I'll be using them all that much anyway, but did I miss something? I was thinking about doing some Dusk textures.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 2:30 PM

Doc000 posted at 3:28PM Wed, 18 September 2019 - #4362412

OK, can someone clarify this for me, since everybody keeps mentioning it? I don't recall my Poser ever doing this "phone home" thing, unless it's so far in the background that I just don't notice it. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've used it a few times when my DSL was down, and I had no internet connection.

From what I've seen others say about it, it's very much in the background, and it happens in set periods, not all of the time - so if you had your DSL down only sometimes you wouldn't notice it, but people working offline would. For those, they had to use that feature to permanently lock the license to a specific computer.

Also, this is a Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 / Poser 2014 Game Dev only thing, previous versions didn't have it.

- - - - - - 

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 2:32 PM

SeanMartin posted at 3:31PM Wed, 18 September 2019 - #4362425

Just did the "early adopter" download to 11.2._______. This far, no issues. However, I didnt find the files for Dawn, Dusk, and the additional animals. Not that I'll be using them all that much anyway, but did I miss something? I was thinking about doing some Dusk textures.

From the downloads of last night (I didn't have the chance to check for new files today), they're not there yet. Which is understandable, as it seems like the release date was pushed for later specifically to have those added. We might only see them on the final, public release.

- - - - - - 

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 4:22 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 5:15PM Wed, 18 September 2019 - #4362436

SeanMartin posted at 3:31PM Wed, 18 September 2019 - #4362425

From the downloads of last night (I didn't have the chance to check for new files today), they're not there yet. Which is understandable, as it seems like the release date was pushed for later specifically to have those added. We might only see them on the final, public release.

There is stuff there now @ 5:15 pm. A bunch of files under the Common list and one for Windows and Mac. But are the windows files the content I already have with my old install of Poser?

Also the download for Poser is listed at 09-18-2019 12:09 pm, is that the final build or will there be one more for today?

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 4:26 PM

Please understand that I'm just one of the early adopters and not a spokesperson.

What I mean is... I have no idea. 😂

- - - - - - 

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 5:35 PM

Thanks for all the info, I am beginning to see the light! One more question: does the "Uninstall your old Poser" direction refer to just our Poser 11/Poser Pro 11 versions or are other installs in danger of borking when we go to get the update? I have a Poser Pro 2014 -- NOT Game Developer edition -- that I would absolutely hate to lose.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 5:39 PM

It does not affect Poser Pro 2014 or any earlier Poser version.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 5:44 PM

Also, YOU won't need to uninstall any versions. If the Poser 11.2 installer needs to have the previous Poser 11 (or Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev?) uninstalled, it'll uninstall it itself, without needing you to manually uninstall anything.

- - - - - - 

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 7:19 PM

Glad to know my PP 2014 is safe, have not gotten around to reinstalling my old Poser 11 after the last go-round of computer problems so I should be all set for the new update when it comes out. Are the serial numbers changing too or just the activation method? Got my P11 serial number from Smith Micro, have not heard from Bondware yet about a new one.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 7:25 PM

Actually, if you have Poser 11, and you haven't installed it, you might want to at least download the 11.2 installer tomorrow anyway for when you do install it, you need to update it anyway.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 7:56 PM

Your serial number is your serial number, that does not change. Unless you have the versions affected by the SM phone home activation system, there is no need to do anything. Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 / Poser 2014 Game Dev only as it was stated above. If you have P11, I'd download the update since a. it upgrades your version to Pro if you didn't have it yet and b. it will switch your activation over to the Bondware servers.

movida ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 9:03 PM

what if I don't want my activation tied to any servers? I have PPro 11 with perpetual activation. If I download 11.2 is there any way to do the same? If not, I'll pass.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 9:25 PM

My understanding is that the reason you're doing this update is that your activation remains valid, since the software changed owners and thus the original servers are shutting down. The activation is tied to the owner of the software that is different now in my reading.

movida ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2019 at 6:41 AM

If you made your license "permanent" with SM you ddn't need to connect to their servers for continuous permission. I want my work machine to not be connected to the internet. What I'm asking is will the 11.2 update allow the machine to not phone home everytime you use it.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2019 at 6:52 AM

movida posted at 7:51AM Thu, 19 September 2019 - #4362582

If you made your license "permanent" with SM you ddn't need to connect to their servers for continuous permission. I want my work machine to not be connected to the internet. What I'm asking is will the 11.2 update allow the machine to not phone home everytime you use it.

Ask Jenn Blake. Honestly, except for SM I haven't heard anything about whether Poser needs to remain on the internet since Bondware took over.

movida ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2019 at 7:42 AM

There was a thread where erogenesis was discussing the same and now I can't find it - of course :) Anyway I apologize for asking the same question again. Thanks I'll try to contact Jenn Blake sometime today.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.