Mon, Sep 9, 6:01 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: How did I go so long without finding this feature of Poser?

an0malaus ( ) posted Sun, 03 November 2019 at 12:21 AM · edited Thu, 08 August 2024 at 10:04 PM

I've had a longstanding problem. My figure depencency setups are quite complex (some require conforming, while others have to be slaved to a master figure for technical reasons) and involve changing deformer evaluation orders. I discovered that I couldn't make QueueManager Render a scene in the same way as Poser itself (pokethrough and other issues happen due to changes when the scene is saved for queuing). So, QM is out of the picture for my workflow, until that gets resolved, which I'm confident it will, eventually.

The discovery that rendering in a background process (and I'm aware that there have been certain shader issues reported while doing this, but that's another story) actually does allow me to dynamically compare a previous render with the current, in-progress background render using the render-wipe slider is somthing I'd never come across before, and I'm kicking myself severely for overlooking it.

I'd always used the render-wipe to compare completed renders, but Poser is totally unresponsive while a foreground render is in progress. It's actually possible to watch the background render's progress (I'd never thought to even try) and compare with a similar completed render! Wow! I'll be using this a lot more, now.

So, I welcome commentary pointing out what a nong I've been, failing to take advantage of this! 😀 D'Oh!

The feature of using background renders is even more useful, since it allows renders larger than the preview size to have their extremities scrolled into view, somthing that's impossible with foreground renders, which one has to wait for completion, before finding out that the camera has cut off the feet, or a shoe's displacement map is too strong and makes both shoes intersect each other. [Facepalm]

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 4.18.53 pm.png

Render-wipe, background render with fixed eyelash map on left, previous render with surfeit of mascara on right 😉

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.

quietrob ( ) posted Sun, 03 November 2019 at 12:42 AM

By render wipe, do you mean the process where the new render overwrites the previous render? This is the way it was back in Poser 7. I used to love watch my mistakes correct themselves. Anyway, you're not a nong. I'm still finding out stuff that could make my life easier if I just taken the time to learn it or even better, knew that it existed! I mean I've still never mastered the fitting room as many have done apparently.

BTW, the way I do my comics is to compile the scene, do the background and characters in separate renders and then combine them in photoshop. It sounds like I could use the Queue Manager to do the background and then work on the main characters.

KageRyu ( ) posted Sun, 03 November 2019 at 1:21 AM

I once had similar issues using Queue Manager (and sometimes still have others) and found that in preferences disabling the tickbox to use external Binary Morphs was the solution. I can only speak for Poser through Version 2014GD however. I have not done anything with Poser 11 yet as I have no machine with the required OS (unless anyone knows how to get it running on XP64 bit).

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!

an0malaus ( ) posted Sun, 03 November 2019 at 1:38 AM

What I'm referring to is the slider at the bottom of the preview/render window. Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 5.26.17 pm.png If you hover the cursor over it, the scene title at the top gets replaced with the words "Render Wipe". If you drag the coloured triangle left and right, it changes the proportion of the viewport which displays the later render on the right, as selected by the black screen at its left's pop-up menu, and the prior render on the left, as selected by the white screen at the left's pop-up menu.

Indeed, I can still use QueueManager for any scene that doesn't contain my highly modified figure hierarchy, which is based on V4 and appropriate clothing. If I simply choose another figure, that doesn't have deformer evaluation order modifications, I don't see any render problems with QM. I've just found an edge case that will require a change in how Poser saves and loads actor channels in scene files. As long as they don't get re-ordered, there's no problem, but when they do, as only happens on the dependent figures, not the main figure, for undetermined reasons, the dependent figures no longer correctly follow the shape changes according to deformer influence, since the deformers don't get evaluated in the same order on both figures. Quite an esoteric problem, but fully explainable via the logic of linear algebra. An assumption that a particular process for ordering saved parameters would not change the scene upon reload, turns out not to be correct.

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.

quietrob ( ) posted Sun, 03 November 2019 at 8:25 AM

That is an amazing feature I never knew existed! Let me join the Nong club with you.

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Mon, 04 November 2019 at 11:21 AM

That's neat! I always click from one render in my Recent Renders list to the new render to compare. No more! Thanks.

W11,Intel i9-14900KF @ 3.20GHz, 64.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, GeForce GTX 4070 Ti SUPER, 16GB. 

Old lady hobbyist.

All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."

ghostship2 ( ) posted Mon, 04 November 2019 at 11:30 AM

cool

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

quietrob ( ) posted Mon, 04 November 2019 at 12:57 PM

This is an Easter Egg that really isn't. I hope more people come up with their special tips and tricks that Poser has. That slider is always in use now. Thanks an0malaus! As I often write when I rate freebies over at ShareCG, "Much Needed".

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.