Sun, Oct 6, 6:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: GIMP 2.10.14 Released

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 6:23 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 6:21 AM

This is a notice to anyone who uses GIMP for their Photomaipulation software. Full disclosure. I use GIMP, but I have no financial or otherwise stake in the software or company. Just wanted to let you know that the latest stable release was posted on October 28, 2019 and is available for download. GIMP is open source and FREE software and can be found here. Also there is a Linux version, Windows version and OSX version. Plus Tutorials and Documentation.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 6:27 PM

Also, found a video tutorial on YouTube today for GIMP 2.10.14

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 6:50 PM

There's no GIMP Forum at Renderosity. Can we get one. There are a lot of tutorials I'd like to share for GIMP.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 8:08 PM

Excellent news, thank you. Downloaded, installed, now to make sure my brushes and scripts are copied over.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 8:25 PM · edited Wed, 06 November 2019 at 8:29 PM

BTW, just added new Imaging Software links to the Poser Content Directory under Content Creation. Please remember that these links are for COMMERCIAL and FREE software unless specifically told otherwise.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 07 November 2019 at 10:21 AM · edited Thu, 07 November 2019 at 10:22 AM

Since I did start this thread, thought I'd repost this just to keep it fresh:

Okay, we did the Free Brushes for GIMP, now we do the free Plug-ins. What exactly are Plug-ins? Well, plugins are add-on programs aimed at providing additional image effects or performing tasks that are impossible or hard to fulfill using one program alone.

To that end, here is a link to 20 of The Best Free GIMP Plugins

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Thu, 07 November 2019 at 11:07 AM

Thank you, EClark1894.

I second the motion for a Gimp Forum.

HartyBart ( ) posted Thu, 07 November 2019 at 12:52 PM

How about a combo "GIMP and Krita" forum? By the way, a "Comic production and NPR" forum might also work, if well moderated.

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 07 November 2019 at 12:56 PM

You volunteering? 😄

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 07 November 2019 at 8:54 PM

How to create Foggy Window Text in GIMP.

Tutorial

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 07 November 2019 at 8:55 PM

I found the Photoshop Forum, so I may start posting tutorials in there as well.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2019 at 4:16 AM

How to use GIMP to Color Correct your Poser Renders in post work.

GIMP tutorial

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2019 at 7:09 AM

I hate that I am still around 2 weeks before I get to a port and can get wifi...

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2019 at 1:52 PM · edited Fri, 08 November 2019 at 2:00 PM

More GIMP goodies this time. This is a GIMP tutorial on how to add Fog to a Photo or render. The tutorial comes with 20 fog overlays included free of charge. Since you have to watch the tutorial anyway, you can check the description for the fog overlay downloads on YouTube. Tutorial

The tutorial also tells you about a GIMP plugin called G'MIC which you can also use to add fog to your pics. There doesn't seem to be a link on the page for that so I include the plug in link for you here: The plugin is also free.

Quick addendum: If you use Krita, you can pick up the G'MIC plugin for Krita at the same page.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2019 at 5:26 PM

Okay, it's been suggested that I'm apparently "oversharing" to the point where it looks like spam. So this will be the last tutorial I post.

blackbonner ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2019 at 5:43 AM

EClark1894 You aren't oversharing, but you are sometimes to quick to follow. I got my copy of the latest Gimp and I'm reinstalling my plugins right now. And I appreciate every tutorial that you suggested. There is a very good tutorial channel on YouTube called mygimptutorials from a german guy by the name of Michael. He is quite a Gimp geek and the tuts are in german, so maybe some germans her in the Forum might know him as well. I was searching for a variety of topics this morning, one was advice for a new Graphics card and the other topic was the backing of body morphs on a poser figure. I remembered that I have seen something that a guy named Tony Vilters did on his YouTube channel. But all the content is gone. I also remember, that you know the guy from the former Poser Forum on SM. Do you know why he deleted all his stuff. Hope nothing severe is happened. Thank for the Tutorials so far. I stay tuned for more.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2019 at 11:59 AM

No, I don't know why, but you can try to contact him via sitemail. He's a member of this forum, so you can look him up .

blackbonner ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2019 at 12:10 PM

Thanks for the hint.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2019 at 10:44 AM

"Bring out the gimp." "the gimp's sleeping." "Well, I guess you'll have to wake him up, now won't you?"

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

blackbonner ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2019 at 12:08 AM

Sure, the name has a double meaning. And a lot of Photoshop enthusiasts has call names on gimp. There is even a small group of Gimp users who want to grab the code and re-name the Program. But nonetheless, it's a great piece of software and it's free in more than one way.

ghostship2 posted at 12:01AM Mon, 11 November 2019 - #4369733

"Bring out the gimp." "the gimp's sleeping." "Well, I guess you'll have to wake him up, now won't you?"

ghostship2 ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2019 at 12:21 AM

blackbonner posted at 11:19PM Sun, 10 November 2019 - #4369775

Sure, the name has a double meaning. And a lot of Photoshop enthusiasts has call names on gimp. There is even a small group of Gimp users who want to grab the code and re-name the Program. But nonetheless, it's a great piece of software and it's free in more than one way.

ghostship2 posted at 12:01AM Mon, 11 November 2019 - #4369733

I got nothing against the program and have used it myself in the past. When my copy of PSCS6 stops working I'll run GIMP because I'm not paying for that cloud shit.

blackbonner ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2019 at 1:40 AM

I did not mean that your comment was bad or wrong. I actually thought it was funny. Just wanted to share some additional details on this topic. I stopped using Photoshop at the point where they introduced the cloud system, not so much because of the monthly payment, that is actually cheaper then purchasing a new bundle every time they make a new version. The thing is, you always have to have a internet connection to work with the Program. There is a timeout of 12 days, if I recall correctly, after this time the Program will refuse to work. That's like a gun, pointing to my head. I call that blackmailing. After this was a given fact, I searched for an alternative and found Gimp. It was not that good back then, but it does the job. Nowadays, after the big update earlier this year, it works better, has its flaws, but it has all I need. So, no offense!

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2019 at 4:45 AM

The thing is: most of us are hobbyists, and some, like me, are getting on up there in years (I've been using Poser since version 2) so we're on limited incomes. I've used Photoshop in the past, but couldn't afford to upgrade. I found GIMP and I've been a GIMP user since. Hence, the tutorials. Since there is no GIMP forum at Renderosity, I've been posting the links here in this thread. It kind of hurts to have someone tell me I'm posting spam when all I wanted to do was was share what I've found. I did find some Photoshop tutorials as well, but there is a Photoshop forum and I've posted most of those there. It actually seemed kind of dead, anyway.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2019 at 8:14 AM

Yeah, I've posted to the PS forum here and came to the same conclusion, it's dead. I've never considered any of your posts to be spam. Someone does?

Rhia474 ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2019 at 8:39 AM

That's crazy. You post useful information. If someone doesn't like it, they should just not read it. The best solution would indeed be the creation of a GIMP forum, as you requested.

CHK2033 ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2019 at 10:30 AM

EClark1894 posted at 10:10AM Mon, 11 November 2019 - #4369584

Okay, it's been suggested that I'm apparently "oversharing" to the point where it looks like spam. So this will be the last tutorial I post.

By who ? Anyone of importance ? (as in the owners, admins, or mods of this website ?) If it wasn't anyone from one of those groups, who cares keep posting and linking tuts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Zbook 17 G6,  intel Xeon  64 GB of ram 1 TB SSD, Quadro RTX 5000 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2019 at 11:22 AM

CHK2033 posted at 12:20PM Mon, 11 November 2019 - #4369800

By who ? Anyone of importance ? (as in the owners, admins, or mods of this website ?) If it wasn't anyone from one of those groups, who cares keep posting and linking tuts.

Not looking to cause trouble for anyone, but if you guys like the tutorials, I'll keep posting them in this thread until we get a GIMP Forum, IF we get a GIMP Forum.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2019 at 11:25 AM

GIMP Tutorial: How to Create an Embossed Text effect in GIMP. This one is quick and easy.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2019 at 12:04 PM

I was only going to post that one tutorial today, but I found this next one and thought you might like to see this one since they kind of go hand in hand. I say that because you might be wondering why and when would I ever need to emboss text? And since we all use Poser the answer is when you're creating a texture map to use.

GIMP Tutorial: Inlay - Inner emboss text or logo GIMP

Ometeotl ( ) posted Tue, 12 November 2019 at 7:19 AM

Thank you! Tutorials are always welcome (c:

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 12 November 2019 at 5:05 PM

This comes directly from the GIMP Home website. A Tutorial on how to use the Color Curves in GIMP.

GIMP Tutorial: Basic Color Curves

AmethystPendant ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2019 at 9:09 AM

And don't forget that Gimp can open exr files. In the past I have deliberately "over exposed" a render and balanced it in gimp.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2019 at 1:27 PM

Creating a smoky effect with GIMP.

GIMP Tutorial: Smoke Effect

Also: There are some smoke brushes for download in this tutorial. Remember to get them.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2019 at 5:15 PM · edited Wed, 13 November 2019 at 5:17 PM

For some weird reason I can't get the brush download to work. Still, I have another Tutorial using smoke bushes in Photoshop and you can use Photoshop brushes in GIMP. They're not the same brushes used in the GIMP video though but they are free.

Brushes

Oh, and I'll be posting another tutorial for installing brushes in GIMP in a little while.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2019 at 6:58 PM

Okay, as promised: How To Install New Brushes To GIMP 2.10 Tutorial

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2019 at 9:38 PM

Decided to see if I could actually follow one of these tutorials myself. I decided to do How to Change a Photo into a Pencil Drawing. Here's my result. photo2 into pencil.png

And here's the tutorial

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 14 November 2019 at 11:20 AM

Been playing with the tutorials a little more. Found out a few things you should know. You can still work the tutorial, but there are some differences in some of the older tutorials that use GIMP 2.8 and the newer ones that use GIMP 2.10 or newer. For instance in this one that I did, the rainy text effect, the Filters- Distorts- iWarp selection is no longer there. In GIMP 2.10.14 it is now the Warp Tool.

poser background.jpg

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 14 November 2019 at 6:16 PM · edited Thu, 14 November 2019 at 6:19 PM

I can't seem to select the path to turn flip this text around. I follow the tutorial, but it won't select the path. anybody have any ideas or suggestions? I'm all ears. It should be on the outside of the circle, but it's on the inside. I do use the flip tool like the Tutorial says, but it won't select the path. And incidentally, this is why we need a Gimp Forum. 😃

text.png

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 15 November 2019 at 2:11 PM

I hope you guys are enjoying the tutorials I've been posting. That said, it would be nice to get some feedback from you to see if the tutorials are being useful. I've posted at least two attempts above after I've watched and tried doing the tutorials. The last one was only half successful, but it would be nice to see some of the results you've gotten from watching. Post them in this thread, please.

blackbonner ( ) posted Sun, 17 November 2019 at 2:52 AM

Thank you so far, the Tutorials come up quicker than I can trying them out. The Text tool needs an overhaul, don't you think? It's a bit stubborn and sometimes unpredictable in its results. I wish gimp had an layer effects dialog like PS had. There are most effects, like emboss and drop shadow, all in one dialog. I will trying the text to path tutorial later today, maybe I get it to work and letting you know. Have a nice one.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2019 at 2:53 PM · edited Sat, 23 November 2019 at 2:56 PM

I found another tutorial today on how to change a Color photo into a Charcoal drawing. There was nothing wrong with the tutorial. In fact I though it was quite easy to follow. The problem I had was the subject matter. The video was using a white girl as the subject matter, and I thought I'd try it using a black girl.

Off hand, I'd say that finding a balance between the paper texture and the image is the key in this case. To be honest, I still feel this could be done better. I wanted to show that she was a black woman, but I didn't want to "whitewash" all the color out of her. 20-black-girl potrait.png

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.