Wed, Sep 18, 1:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: I Give Up...

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2020 at 1:31 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 4:12 AM

Last year I bought a group of materials that I thought would help with Cycles rendering in Poser. The group of materials is called the Cycles Material Vault or CMV for short. I was ecstatic because Cycles at the time I was looking didn't seem to have that deep a bench to go looking for materials. I found a few here and there, but they were basically simple materials, like chrome, paint, glass, etc. That was not a problem. Problem: I had seen Cycles do more, but all the files were for Blender. Poser doesn't read Blender Files. I even sent the man in charge of the CMV a letter asking if he could create the materials for Poser but never received a reply. I found other materials here and there. Including one site called Chocofur. They sell wave front objects and materials. Again, all for Blender. So I thought okay, I'll recreate the materials in Poser myself. I tried, really, I tried. Even got close a few times. Problem is, (and I'm sure you've all read it from be by now) Poser's missing a few nodes, so you can't do a direct node to node rebuild. Okay workaround then. I found a few. like substituting the Cycles Color ramp node with the Firefly Color ramp node. There are a few others, but none for the ones that have a graphic curve. You've all seen them, Photoshop and even GIMP have one. image.png

But even if I could get that working for me (I can't, I've tried) There's the problem of laying out the nodes. Now granted I did not know until today that I could actually make the material room Window bigger. I can only get it so bid on my machine, but the problem was the nodes again. They're too big, you can't lay them out and arrange them. You can't zoom in or out in the Material Room, can you? You can scroll, I suppose. But I want to show you something...

image.png

I spent all morning trying to layout a material I found for chrome. I got a little ... confused to say the least. It's even tougher to layout with Poser sized nodes.

I give up.

Retrowave ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2020 at 1:56 PM

Could be that the Firefly node you're substituting it with uses a different precision or type of data to that used by the Cycles nodes, just guessing though, so take that with a pinch of salt!

ssgbryan ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2020 at 3:34 PM

This is precisely why I keep yammering on about getting either the full cycles engine working with Poser, or better yet, the cycles plug-in for the AMD ProRender engine working with Poser. Poser should be leveraging open source - especially since it will provide more options for Poser users.

And the ability to use ANY graphics card for GPU rendering.

Scharmers ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2020 at 3:53 PM

This. I haven't used an NVidia GPU in years. And Poser should be caught up with open source cycles branches.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2020 at 4:18 PM

On the size of the thing on your window: you can try collapsing some of those nodes into a compound node. Not only will that turn a bunch of nodes into one small window that you can plug things from/into, it'll also help you make sense of all the noodle fest in there.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2020 at 4:28 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 5:26PM Mon, 10 February 2020 - #4379828

On the size of the thing on your window: you can try collapsing some of those nodes into a compound node. Not only will that turn a bunch of nodes into one small window that you can plug things from/into, it'll also help you make sense of all the noodle fest in there.

Yeah, that's actually one of my complaints. You CAN collapse them, but you have the problem of laying them out, if they can fit, and if you uncollapse them, they jump all around the material room and you have to go hunting for them.

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2020 at 5:55 PM · edited Mon, 10 February 2020 at 5:56 PM

or better yet, the cycles plug-in for the AMD ProRender engine working >with Poser.

Prorender is not a plugin for cycles but a completely separate render engine with its own (Uber shader) and a complete library of preset materials as well.

It support All cards and even CPU rendering for those willing to wait longer times

Bondware just added the driver for NVIDIA RTX cards so those who made the investment should get much faster poser renders.?

UBER SHADER SETTINGS.PNG

UBER SHADER.PNG

My website

YouTube Channel

adp001 ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2020 at 6:03 PM

@EClark1894: And what exactly are you giving up now?

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2020 at 6:21 PM

Read the thread.

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2020 at 7:28 PM

Agree that the existing Poser Cycles Root Surface shader regime is missing some node options. Sometimes I just switch to Physical Root Surface And make things simpler in terms of nodes.

Eternal Hobbyist

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2020 at 7:30 PM

Vince Bagna, Dimension3D, and Ghostship, have released Cycles Root Surface Collections worth getting. These are commercials sets. Kobamax has released a freebie set but its at their Japanese blog, IIRC.

Eternal Hobbyist

ghostship2 ( ) posted Mon, 10 February 2020 at 11:58 PM

infinity10 posted at 10:58PM Mon, 10 February 2020 - #4379877

Vince Bagna, Dimension3D, and Ghostship, have released Cycles Root Surface Collections worth getting. These are commercials sets. Kobamax has released a freebie set but its at their Japanese blog, IIRC.

My stuff is free :)

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

ironsoul ( ) posted Tue, 11 February 2020 at 1:38 AM

Another thought is to create and bake the mats in Blender and import to the physical surface node in Poser. Never tried the process so I'm making a few assumptions. You've probably already seen Boni's thread https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2942646

infinity10 ( ) posted Tue, 11 February 2020 at 2:03 AM

Whoops ! Even better - sorry, my mistake.

ghostship2 posted at 4:02PM Tue, 11 February 2020 - #4379897

infinity10 posted at 10:58PM Mon, 10 February 2020 - #4379877

My stuff is free :)

Eternal Hobbyist

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 11 February 2020 at 3:52 AM · edited Tue, 11 February 2020 at 3:54 AM

I already knew about Vince Bagna, DED and Ghostship's shaders. I even mention them in another thread and in my directory. Along with Seachnaisaigh, Deecy, Red Phantom... Some of those though are for specific sets.

Here are some pics of materials with the Cycles Material Studies I mentioned in the original thread... image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I've tried to recreate most of these for Poser, but as I said before, missing nodes, large nodes, no zoom in material room. I can't do it. And these are all Blender files, so I can't use them in Poser.

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Tue, 11 February 2020 at 3:38 PM

OMG A pasta node!

I would buy Poser 12 just for the Pasta! D:

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 11 February 2020 at 8:37 PM · edited Tue, 11 February 2020 at 8:38 PM

Well, found another missing node in Poser. It's the Scale node. image.png

It is what's known as a distort node. Here's what the manual says:

For instance X: 0.5 and Y: 0.5 would produce an image which width and height would be half of what they used to be.

Use this node to match image sizes. Most nodes produce an image that is the same size as the image input into their top image socket. To uniformly combine two images of different size, the second image has to be scaled up to match the resolution of the first.

Boni suggests using the Firefly 2D Texture Scale node instead.

bantha ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 2:18 AM

I think Boni is right on this one. It's not a Firefly" node though, all old nodes have been rewritten for Superfly.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

AmethystPendant ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 5:28 AM

TBH their new PBR root node will make creating most of these materials a lot easier in Blender so it is that we should be aiming for, sort of a Physical Surface Root on steroids,

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 5:31 AM

For Blender or Poser?

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 6:21 AM · edited Wed, 12 February 2020 at 6:22 AM

BTW, I know a lot of you don't like to subscribe to anything, but if you go to the CMV website and subscribe, you can download a few freebie materials and Blender scene files. And as I've been saying, Poser can't read Blender files so you will need Blender to view them. Just click on the image of the file you want. It is free to subscribe. And you will be sent to a download link.

http://www.reynantemartinez.com/freebies.htm

bantha ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 7:16 AM · edited Wed, 12 February 2020 at 7:17 AM

EClark1894 posted at 7:13AM Wed, 12 February 2020 - #4380042

For Blender or Poser?

I think this refers to the "Disney Shader" => Principled Shader

Not in Poser, up to now, but I expect it to be in the next version.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 7:28 AM

bantha posted at 8:22AM Wed, 12 February 2020 - #4380050

EClark1894 posted at 7:13AM Wed, 12 February 2020 - #4380042

For Blender or Poser?

I think this refers to the "Disney Shader" => Principled Shader

Not in Poser, up to now, but I expect it to be in the next version.

I don't. Honestly, I was and, to some extent, still am, hoping for Poser to improve, but so far, all the improvements I've seen in Poser have been more in line with Renderosity selling more content. Nothing wrong with that, that's who they are, that's what they do, but with not seeing SOMETHING , hell, ANYTHING else getting a quick or even a little small fix or improvement, frankly, I'm not feeling too hopeful at the moment.

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 2:35 PM

EClark1894 posted at 8:24PM Wed, 12 February 2020 - #4379907

I already knew about Vince Bagna, DED and Ghostship's shaders. I even mention them in another thread and in my directory. Along with Seachnaisaigh, Deecy, Red Phantom... Some of those though are for specific sets.

Here are some pics of materials with the Cycles Material Studies I mentioned in the original thread... image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I've tried to recreate most of these for Poser, but as I said before, missing nodes, large nodes, no zoom in material room. I can't do it. And these are all Blender files, so I can't use them in Poser.

The VB SuperShaders for Poser11 SuperFly by VinceBagna has a selection of car paints, liquids, textiles and metals that look similar to some of those shown. Winter Glitter for Superfly by PHD can create some stunning Christmas Balls so something similar is possible in Poser while Photoreal SuperFly vol 1, also by PHD, can help create some others. I am nowhere near clever enough to understand how, which is why I buy such products. No doubt they may be improved upon and other shaders created if Poser had all the missing nodes but it can still do some great stuff.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 3:00 PM

I agree with you Hornet. In fact, despite what I titled this thread, I do still try to recreate some of the materials. In fact if you look at the pics above in volume five, they have a material for the dragonball, which if you know any anime, it's from Dragonball Z. One of the freebies I mentioned earlier in the thread is the material for the dragonball. It's really simple to do, and yes you can even recreate that in Poser. I did it this morning. I also recreated some orange juice, also all in Poser. And you can change colors on that and create milk and what looks like Pepto Bismol to me, but they just say pink juice. 😄 And I have manaaged to recreate some others, but most of them do require nodes that are missing or that need work arounds. Hell, if Renderosity would just make the material room zoomable in and out, I'd shut the hell up and stop whining about missing nodes. I still couldn't make all the materials I bought, about 100 so far, but at least I could group and lay them out easier.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 6:15 PM

Thought I'd show the fluids I managed to recreate in Poser this morning. I can substitute some nodes as work arounds, as long as I keep them simple. fluids.png

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2020 at 2:08 PM

Yep, still trying. Imported the Wavefront obj. into Poser and rebuilt the materials. This is coffee. Problem is, you can't really see it in the cup and I'm not sure what I got wrong with it. The glass material either. I think it's too dark. Both were rather simple, and I did have to substitute the Firefly color ramp node for the cycles one, but I think I got it right otherwise.

coffee.png

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2020 at 4:44 PM

It's not perfect, but I substituted some nodes and got it working. Again, I still have to keep it really simple, so at least a third of my materials I probably can't use at all. Also, I managed to find out the problems I had with the last render. Mainly there were some nodes not connected.

coffee2.png

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2020 at 4:53 PM

EClark1894 posted at 6:48PM Thu, 13 February 2020 - #4380317

It's not perfect, but I substituted some nodes and got it working. Again, I still have to keep it really simple, so at least a third of my materials I probably can't use at all. Also, I managed to find out the problems I had with the last render. Mainly there were some nodes not connected.

coffee2.png

That one's looking really good, to me!

By the way, some time ago I spent quite a while turning a lot of CC-0 materials I found for Blender into Poser. Built myself a pretty nice material library. Didn't release it as a freebie because a few of them were free to use but not CC-0, and I didn't keep the names to give proper credit. I feel like a lot of the older ones translate very well. The Glass Bsdf node seems to like making darker glass like that - I found this one to go around that.

image.png

image.png

- - - - - - 

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2020 at 5:17 PM

I used the one that came with the coffee material, but I do have a glass material already. Thanks anyway.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2020 at 5:20 PM

Oh sorry - I thought you weren't liking the dark glass.

Anyway, I think both the glass and the coffee look good in that last one.

- - - - - - 

unrealblue ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2020 at 1:01 AM

ssgbryan posted at 6:01PM Sat, 22 February 2020 - #4379818

This is precisely why I keep yammering on about getting either the full cycles engine working with Poser, or better yet, the cycles plug-in for the AMD ProRender engine working with Poser. Poser should be leveraging open source - especially since it will provide more options for Poser users.

Yes yes yes.

yes.

And the ability to use ANY graphics card for GPU rendering.

unrealblue ( ) posted Sat, 22 February 2020 at 1:07 AM

infinity10 posted at 6:03PM Sat, 22 February 2020 - #4379877

And all worth it. Ghostship's is free, technically making it (mathematically) infinitely more than worth it.

Everything I know about mats (which, at this point, fits in a thimble, with wiggle room) I learn from old threads (where BB is often gracious enough to conduct class), and pulling apart VB, D3D, and GS node tangles. Plus, pretty! I dread the loss of that info.

Lotharen ( ) posted Thu, 05 March 2020 at 6:46 AM

How easy would porting a poser scene into Blender be to take advantage of those shaders?

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 05 March 2020 at 8:13 PM

I don't know. I've never tried porting a whole scene before.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 06 March 2020 at 8:50 AM

I would not recommend trying it in any version prior to 2.8x .

The FBX import is much improved which is why am replacing Maxon C4D with Blender for my animation renders ?

My website

YouTube Channel

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2020 at 3:44 PM

So I decided to try something a little new, for me, and work on shaders in small chunks. This way I can create a small compound node, save it, and work on another section of the node. I knoe that seems a little long and tedious, but I think I've seen some shaders using the same nodes for things like Fresnel Reflectance. So once I've made that and saved it, I don't need to make it again.

Anyway, I've run into a small problem. How do I change the name on a node if I want to name it something else like "Fresnel Reflectance" or "Map Bump"?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2020 at 6:11 PM
Site Admin

double click on the existing name on the node.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2020 at 3:42 AM

RedPhantom posted at 4:40AM Thu, 12 March 2020 - #4383270

double click on the existing name on the node.

Thanks, RP. It's working perfectly.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.