Thu, Sep 19, 9:06 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: Outlines in Poser?

Digitell ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 4:17 PM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 10:03 PM

I have been playing around with the sketch settings in Poser, but I have not found a way to do just the outline of a render. Is there a way to do an outline/sketch using Poser? Does anyone know of any tutorials on how to do this? Thank you in advance for any help or point in the right direction! 😀

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 4:32 PM

Been awhile since I played around with the sketch renderer but I think it's a much under utilized feature. Just a cursory look on the web shows a ton of information.

There also used to be some free sketch renderer presets in the freestuff here. Being that the feature has been in Poser for so long I'm sure you'll find a wealth of info, if I remember correctly you could utilize the results in some way with Corel Painter, there was a bridge or some such.

You might want to generate your outlines with the comic book render features and combine your results in post... I did these images with the sketch renderer and photoshop...

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 4:33 PM

Sketch_Bas Relief1.jpg

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 4:33 PM

Untitled_Heart.jpg

Digitell ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 4:55 PM · edited Fri, 03 April 2020 at 4:55 PM

Hi EldritchCellar! Thank you so much for posting these images. They look wonderful! Yea I agree that Poser has so many different features that goes unnoticed. I have been messing about with the sketch feature and there are so many sliders to toy with that gives so many different results! I have been working on an Angel image and wanted just the outline of her, like you would see in a coloring book for example. I am having trouble getting her skin to be white, with just an outline and then on a white background. I think I may have to turn to Photoshop and work with layers to get the result I am looking for. Here are a couple of sketches I did:

angle.jpg This is the original render

Angel1.jpg Here she is black and white with that black background

Angel2.png

Here she is a paler color with that black background.

I tried making the background sketch out white but then the lower half of her disappeared and could only see part of her arms and her head.

You just have to play with the sliders to get different effects.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 5:19 PM · edited Fri, 03 April 2020 at 5:22 PM

Import your render into photoshop

select: subject

Select: modify: smooth (to taste, but not too much. It'll smooth out your eventual stroke some)

Select: modify: expand (to taste, to counter the smoothing)

Edit: stroke

...there's your outline.

Digitell ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 5:28 PM

Thank you I will give that a shot! :)

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 5:32 PM · edited Fri, 03 April 2020 at 5:33 PM

Filter: Noise: Median can also do some interesting things to stroke outlines... there's a couple others but I'm not at photoshop right now.

In Poser: Display: Cartoon Settings: Geometric Edge Lines and tweaking the Geometric_Edge in the materials might be useful too. Haven't experimented with that though...

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 5:34 PM

You're welcome

Grimhilda ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 6:07 PM

Your question led me to try this in Poser 11. I'm definitely no guru with Poser but, as EldritchCellar said, try Poser/display and Cartoon Settings. You can right-click on the figure and get the same Cartoon Settings dialogue box.

My settings are: One Tone Comic Book Geometric Edge Lines

I have the Ground invisible and Background Colour as White.

I also have document display mode (the interface window with all the preview spheres) to Cartoon w/Line

Finally I rendered in PREVIEW mode.

The figure is simply Kate2 Casual with Kate2 straight out of the box.

Also, a fantastic free program for achieving painterly effects is Fotosketcher - very easy to use and a lot of fun to play with.Kate2.png

Grimhilda ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 6:23 PM

My post above missed some punctuation.

The settings consist of ticking the following boxes: One Tone, Comic Book, and Geometric Edge Lines.

Also the image posted, because it's .png took up the forum's grey background. The rendered image came out with a white background.

Since I started playing with this, here is another render with the document display Smooth Shaded, and Cartoon Settings with 'Three Tones' and 'Cartoon Shaded' ticked along with 'Geometric Edge Lines'.

The render is of a Robot article in the Poser content called 'Hard'. I'm not well-versed in Sci-Fi and really don't know what it is!! A satellite cannon - a bike or vehicle to sit on?? It is well-made - it's just that I'm ignorant of these things.

Hard.png

Grimhilda ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 6:26 PM

I think it's a rocket bike. The user's heels would be tucked up high, I think.

HartyBart ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 6:40 PM

To answer the original question: watch this 3 minute tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkN8dN-FtGI - and then in Sketch Designer choose a Charcoal preset, turn off all the Background sliders, save as a custom preset. You're then good-to-go with sketching into outlines only.

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 7:10 PM

Hey, thanks for that script HartyBart... and the tips.

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 04 April 2020 at 12:24 AM · edited Sat, 04 April 2020 at 12:24 AM

This is my preferred solution for the result sought by opening post.

Grimhilda posted at 1:23PM Sat, 04 April 2020 - #4385376

Your question led me to try this in Poser 11. I'm definitely no guru with Poser but, as EldritchCellar said, try Poser/display and Cartoon Settings. You can right-click on the figure and get the same Cartoon Settings dialogue box.

My settings are: One Tone Comic Book Geometric Edge Lines

I have the Ground invisible and Background Colour as White.

I also have document display mode (the interface window with all the preview spheres) to Cartoon w/Line

Finally I rendered in PREVIEW mode.

The figure is simply Kate2 Casual with Kate2 straight out of the box.

Also, a fantastic free program for achieving painterly effects is Fotosketcher - very easy to use and a lot of fun to play with.Kate2.png

Eternal Hobbyist

Digitell ( ) posted Sat, 04 April 2020 at 9:08 AM

Good Morning! Thank you Grimhilda and HartyBart and Infinity 10. This works very well! I used the One tone, Comic Book, Geometric line set to .3 Thank you guys! GeoLines.jpg

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.