Wed, Sep 18, 12:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / New Poser Users Help

Welcome to the New Poser Users Help Forum

Forum Moderators: Anim8dtoon, RedPhantom, Staff

New Poser Users Help F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 2:37 pm)

New to Poser? Ask questions here for expert help!

Subject: A Poser Virgin needs help

deeahr2169 ( ) posted Mon, 09 March 2020 at 5:36 PM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 9:33 AM

Hi. Please don't think my comments are intended to be rude, but after some hours of frustrations I felt this might elicit some advice, though maybe the advice may not be that which I would enjoy... Just started trying to get tog rips with Poser 11 and already I find myself both confused and frustrated. Its obvious from the art that one sees that there is potential to be unlocked here, but the basics are really not that user friendly. For instance the user interface I am presented with when I first opened Poser has some differences to that featured in the latest tutorials that I can find, and so replicating what is shown is almost impossible. Also finding tutorials that start at the bog standard basic aint easy, my need is to learn how to navigate around the user interface, its little help finding tutes that explain more advanced things when doing something basic like returning to the previous scene is a mystery. Quite often I have found instances like this below…

Renderosity also has a variety of paid tutorials that range in topic and price (like Genesis 3 to Poser 11 for $6). You can find them here. 

The link leads to a statement saying

Sorry! We could not find any products for the specified criteria at this time.

Not a very encouraging start to my attempts to get into Poser is it? Perhaps someone might know of a tutorial that offers a simple guide to getting started that is suitable for absolute idiots like me….

Look forward to hearing from some people who are nicer than me

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 09 March 2020 at 6:38 PM
Site Admin

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial_premium/?page=info&tutorial=4 Is a good tutorial that should help you get started. It is for Poser 2014 and I'm assuming as a new user you are using Poser Pro 11 so the images might look slightly different, but I think most are close enough you can figure them out. There are a number of good videos here https://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial_premium/?section_id=1. You might want to start with the older ones as those seem to start with the basics. And if you have any questions, ask.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 09 March 2020 at 9:20 PM
Online Now!

I am in agreement with RedPhantom, there are Renderosity tutorials targeting different aspects of Poser 11 starting with the basics and progressing to more advanced features. Youtube is another source, bandwidth permitting. And let us not forget the Poser manual which provides additional tips and guidelines for working with the different features and rooms. Reading not your thing then stick with the videos. And if you're stuck, always search the forums and post your questions. Someone will get try to help as best they can.

deeahr2169 ( ) posted Tue, 10 March 2020 at 4:51 AM

My sincere thanks to those below for the advice, it’s reassuring to find my wingeing was not ignored. Of course having made a financial investment I will not give up on this? In truth I only started playing around yesterday and today I am surprised to find how much of my fumbling produced some knowledge that stuck. I do read, rather too much TBH, though I found the manual a touch confusing. Anyway my thanks and of course having found and dug around here, many questions can be expected very soon???

debitspread ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2020 at 3:17 PM

RedPhantom wrote: "You might want to start with the older ones as those seem to start with the basics. And if you have any questions, ask."

I actually bought the original Steve Harms training videos, which are now freely available on YouTube. Unfortunately, I was never able to get into Poser, even with those training videos. Poser just seemed to difficult to learn... at the time.

Now, I'm retired and want to give Poser another shot. I updated with the latest code and cranked up the Lesson 1 video, which starts with Andy2. His replacement is now La Femme, which is fine, except that I ran into an obstacle while following Steve's very first instruction: Tug on the model's arm and the torso is supposed to follow. In my factory default installation, La Femme just stands there and does not bend when I pull her arm.

This is probably some kind of setting, but I don't know where to find it. Any guidance would be appreciated.

debitspread ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2020 at 4:20 PM

An update: I notice that when I switched to Ryan2 Casual, that the torso DOES move when I tug on the arm.

Would love to know why one figure moves under this manipulation... and the other doesn't.

deeahr2169 ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2020 at 5:50 PM

I also began with LF and the lesson 1 video and had the same problem. So my reaction was if the instructional video is wrong, or the actual figure is, how can I be confident in the entire thing.. Still I remain optimistic but I won't buy anything until I am convinced this is going to prove better than my experience so far...

Nails60 ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2020 at 6:11 PM

The latest poser figures, LaFemme, Pauline are set up slightly differently .They have some extra features. If for example you select the left shoulder of LaFemme and look in the parameters window you will see there are dials for x, y and z translate. If you try the x translate for example it moves the shoulder to the side and other parts of the body sort of stretch, it's hard to explain, you need to try it. This function is not available in older figures. There used to be a webinar explaining the new features of LF but I don't know if it is still available

deeahr2169 ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2020 at 6:14 PM

Thanks for the explanation Nails, answers are much appreciated and make me want to continue trying to get this into my thick skull...

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 11 March 2020 at 6:31 PM · edited Wed, 11 March 2020 at 6:34 PM
Site Admin

I tested several figures in my library. La Femme (and of course L'homme) and Sasha (a version of Vicky 4) seem to be the only ones that don't move when you pull the arm. I have to assume it's due to something in the rigging, but that's way beyond me.

edit: but it appears nails knows something.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

deeahr2169 ( ) posted Thu, 12 March 2020 at 4:16 AM

It’s great that members are taking an interest and making the effort to post replies and possible explanations. I suppose given the complexities of creating these constructs no one should be critical of some differences or dare I say errors. The problem with LF is not a huge one of course, the main problem for me is the sheer complexity of the entire application... Thanks for taking an interest...

ronaldknights ( ) posted Mon, 06 April 2020 at 4:58 AM

It doesn't make sense to use tutorials made for older versions of Poser or any other software. In my experience, it just never works.

deeahr2169 ( ) posted Mon, 06 April 2020 at 7:38 AM

In my limited experience it would be better if developers were provide updated versions of software when they release a new version. Its just so annoying to see videos, however good they mat have been, that tell you how to do something step by step and somewhere along the way you have to give up because the step they are suggesting is not possible in the version you have. Be nice to have the manuals updated with notes for changes to each new version at least...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.