Tue, Oct 22, 3:53 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 16 10:04 pm)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Installing Poser 11.3.816

tsoren ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2020 at 12:33 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 3:51 AM

I want to share out the procedure I followed to successfully install the latest Poser update. I use a method of comparing latest to prior runtimes to help me understand what's changed in them and to make sure I don't lose something I want to keep. This process describes the install but I also do this merge forward approach for the additional content that is on the download site. I am interested in any discussion or feedback. Thank you. InstallTheLatestPoser11Update-1.jpgInstallTheLatestPoser11Update-2.jpgInstallTheLatestPoser11Update-3.jpgInstallTheLatestPoser11Update-4.jpgInstallTheLatestPoser11Update-5.jpg

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2020 at 2:23 PM

I have done so many re-installations of Poser that I don't bother anymore to do anything extraordinary to check if I lost any content. Besides, the Poser 11 content folder is not the only folder I place content into. I have at least 30 different category runtimes on my system that goes untouched when a new Poser version is released and installed. And since the dynamic ebb and flow of content installed to and removed from Poser is a constant recycling of material it is a moot point to worry about losing content when I can reinstall. An all-true headache but easily solvable.

tsoren ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2020 at 2:37 PM

I am trying to not place content into the Poser 11 Content folder. The reason I had those 24-bit jpegs there was so that they were next to the original 32-bit png files. DAZ content install used to insist on having access to the Poser runtime to install figures so I assume it put files in the Poser runtime in prior versions I had. I have been messing around with Poser since version 3 but lately I am trying to know more about managing 3D assets. I want to do the same thing you do and keep runtimes separate from Poser 11 Content. With several versions of content already released since the move to Bondware, and the file and folder names changing in those distributions, it has inspired me to learn more about asset management.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2020 at 4:02 PM

DAZStudio has its own runtime folder within its Library, mostly reserved for textures and other miscellaneous content. A very convenient place for Poser type props and DAZ compatible figures. 3D asset management is a neverending issue in itself. Individuals organize their content by models, others by categories, and still others by vendors and authors. Explore how other users organize their content and why; this will give you some idea on how efficient those runtime setups meet your criteria. I set up my folders according to models, scenes, props, and hair. I have a couple of runtimes with clothing but I'm not too keen with those setups so I might split those up into their associated models. Again, there are pros and cons, find something that works for you, modify it and stick with it. The last thing you want to do is start a project and wind up completely moving content around because it just didn't work.

tsoren ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2020 at 9:33 PM

Thank you for the advice. I do rely on the search feature a lot but I may move things around once I feel comfortable I am putting things where they are functional.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 28 April 2020 at 9:48 PM

You're very welcome.

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2020 at 1:02 PM

I have my content broken down into separate runtimes, 99 at present, which are all held on a USB remote SSD so that I can move the same content between different computers if required. Way back when I started I think I had two runtimes the Poser runtime and the downloads but I have had my present setup since Poser 6 with it growing each year as I split any runtime that becomes too large. For example I used to have a runtime for buildings which included anything associated with buildings both both internal and external, this is now broken down into smaller runtimes called cities, buildings, cottages and cabins, and rooms. I use P3dO explorer to do the runtime moves when splitting.

I have had any problems with any re-installs of Poser and if I was really worried I would unplug the SSD before any install and just link the runtimes again if required. One advantages of storing the content in this way is that I can do incremental backup but also regular clones of the SSD

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

tsoren ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2020 at 4:05 PM

Nice. That seems like a very extensible and reliable solution.

hornet3d ( ) posted Wed, 29 April 2020 at 8:18 PM

tsoren posted at 1:55AM Thu, 30 April 2020 - #4387734

It has worked for me over a number of years and I rarely need to use the search function at all particularly as I also maintain a database of all my content which is updated every time I buy more content. The database holds three promo pictures of any content along with information including the marketplace it was purchased from, the date and which runtime it is installed in. All of my downloads are stored on a seperate hard drive in a folder for each year with subfolders for each month which means I can find and reinstall any content I have purchased since 2011 when I started using the database (the runtimes before that are also available but not documented with so much detail).. It also means I have access to the runtime structure, read me and any other information downloaded at the time. I can scan the database by name, name of vendor, type of content and so on, for example I can scan for something like 'drone' and get a list of all the drones I have and as I step through the list I can see the main promo for the drone in question. All of this means I rarely use the search function in the library.

I would hate to have to rebuild ether the runtimes or the database so both are backed up to a second disk, a NAS system and also to the cloud. The cloud updates are automatic but with a daily report showing the which folders are in sync. The updates are incremental but the full file structure is maintained so if I did need to reload either the database of the runtimes I can just set the reload process running during the evening, go to bed and have a everything there, ready for use in the morning, without me having to be involved in the process.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Jin_Yindao ( ) posted Thu, 30 April 2020 at 5:30 PM

Have learned a long time ago to keep runtimes separate from poser content folder. also when installing a new version of poser I will rename the old content folder so the new content will install in a separate folder then use a program such as in merge to see what is different and what is the same. This way old content is not lost or over written.

Dive into Fantasy and Ride the Waves

I have many scenes in my head, but non of those are on paper.
I have yet to learn to bring those to life.
The ones that I give life, are not those I see

tsoren ( ) posted Fri, 01 May 2020 at 11:25 AM

hornet3d posted at 11:10AM Fri, 01 May 2020 - #4387738

tsoren posted at 1:55AM Thu, 30 April 2020 - #4387734

It has worked for me over a number of years and I rarely need to use the search function at all particularly as I also maintain a database of all my content which is updated every time I buy more content. The database holds three promo pictures of any content along with information including the marketplace it was purchased from, the date and which runtime it is installed in. All of my downloads are stored on a seperate hard drive in a folder for each year with subfolders for each month which means I can find and reinstall any content I have purchased since 2011 when I started using the database (the runtimes before that are also available but not documented with so much detail).. It also means I have access to the runtime structure, read me and any other information downloaded at the time. I can scan the database by name, name of vendor, type of content and so on, for example I can scan for something like 'drone' and get a list of all the drones I have and as I step through the list I can see the main promo for the drone in question. All of this means I rarely use the search function in the library.

I would hate to have to rebuild ether the runtimes or the database so both are backed up to a second disk, a NAS system and also to the cloud. The cloud updates are automatic but with a daily report showing the which folders are in sync. The updates are incremental but the full file structure is maintained so if I did need to reload either the database of the runtimes I can just set the reload process running during the evening, go to bed and have a everything there, ready for use in the morning, without me having to be involved in the process.

That seems like a very thorough secure strategy for managing runtimes. Nice having a database as a top level search reference. You can do a quick scan to find something maybe even just to get a view in front of you about what you have so you can see if something new may fit into the collection. Traceability back to the source is also good as a way to know if a vendor announcement impacts any assets you may have.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.