Sun, Oct 6, 6:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Poser 12 Internet Access

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 08 January 2020 at 9:54 AM

My fave part is when he told them to (paraphrasing) 'come down here, thank your producer and your god, then f*ck right off!'...

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Wed, 08 January 2020 at 2:06 PM · edited Wed, 08 January 2020 at 2:07 PM

I am not at all fond of Gervais.

But that's just me; I really disliked The Office and him in the Muppet Film and the Museum film...

And what has this to do with the original 'post home' theme?

structure ( ) posted Wed, 08 January 2020 at 2:39 PM · edited Wed, 08 January 2020 at 2:39 PM
Forum Coordinator

the poster did mention that his post was "Quite off-topic"

Locked Out

Retrowave ( ) posted Wed, 08 January 2020 at 3:10 PM

I don't watch The Office, either, have never even seen it other than in advertisements of it. I prefer comedies from the 70s and 80s. Nevertheless, you don't need an on-topic reason to post something like that. If you don't understand its significance wherever it is posted, then chances are you have no idea what's really going on in the world.

Retrowave ( ) posted Wed, 08 January 2020 at 3:12 PM

Sorry, Structure, just crossposted, and cheers 🙂

Retrowave ( ) posted Wed, 08 January 2020 at 5:05 PM

Bloody hell, that smiley in my previous post looks creepily odd, and I promise never to use it again!

Incantus ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2020 at 3:21 PM

Interesting to read !

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2020 at 3:58 PM

I've noticed that there's a setting in Poser Pro 11 that allows bondware to monitor my software usage. I think it's enabled during installation. I've turned it off before but it always turns itself back on. I haven't really concerned myself with it, monitor away... but it is peculiar. Anyone know anything about this?

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2020 at 4:12 PM

It's a tick box in the software registration field... software analytics. Allows bondware to analyze your hardware etc. Is there a way to disable it and keep it disabled? I know I've turned it off but it seems to turn itself back on.

2020-05-28.png

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

KarinaKiev ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2020 at 4:39 PM

Why not blacklist Bondware in your firewall? Or deny Poser general access to the interwebs at all times (my workstation is offline by default anyway)?

K

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2020 at 4:48 PM · edited Thu, 28 May 2020 at 4:49 PM

Lol. Nothing that extreme. Was just wondering if maybe there was something I'm missing other than unchecking the box. I'll try setting a preferred scene without the box checked, although that would be a rather strange solution. I've never had my pencils and paintbrushes send information to some store on the internet before, to use a blunt analogy.

If bondware wants to analyze my usage they can analyze my purchases history since I've returned to Poser, which isn't paltry and is entirely at their store. On site and not in my computer I guess the point is.

Thanks Karina :)

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2020 at 4:50 PM

I do all of my web browsing on my galaxy tablet. Very very little on my computer.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2020 at 4:56 PM

I guess it's kind of ridiculous to even think about it considering the monolithic Adobe and Autodesk provide some of my software through subscription. Shrug.

KarinaKiev ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2020 at 5:15 PM

@EldritchCellar:

Your'e probably right there, and I'm too paranoid sometimes.

I've already allowed more cookies on my web machine than is healthy... But in case I catch something nasty there, it's easy to revert to a backup of the drive, so no harm is done.

But if that should occur on my workstation, I'ld be f... Thus I always keep them separate.

So Bondware can try to analyze my surfing as much as they try (I keep deleting cookies regularly, and TOR filters out most of malicious scripts from other sites too) It would be all OK if I was at a site that I can really trust, but these have become very rare these days. So I've resorted to the motto "TRUST NO ONE", and I haven't had an infection ever since the infamous "I Love You" worm (I think that was back in 2005 somewhat).

And believe it or not: I don' even use any "antivirus" snake-oil - just the firewall in my router, and a sandbox in case something goes terribly wrong.

But I think we're getting off-topic here, so if you (or anybody else) are interested in discussing this more in-depth, we should either use PM or create a new thread!

K

KarinaKiev ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2020 at 5:38 PM · edited Thu, 28 May 2020 at 5:45 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

EldritchCellar posted at 5:24PM Thu, 28 May 2020 - #4390469

I guess it's kind of ridiculous to even think about it considering the monolithic Adobe and Autodesk provide some of my software through subscription. Shrug.

I never did,

nor will I ever support mobsters.

I boycott Adobe for almost 15 years already and skipped using Autodesk too. They can shunt their subscription systems up their behinds!

My guess: In 10 years people will ask "Auto-what-desk???

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2020 at 6:11 PM · edited Thu, 28 May 2020 at 6:20 PM

Who knows?

Can't fault me for enjoying their products. We all support mobsters one way or the other whether we know it or not. I'm very much an apathetic nihilist about many things in life at this point. If Adobe and Autodesk disappeared tomorrow I'd switch to Blender and Gimp/Krita without much discomfort. I really do like Mudbox though, despite everyone's desire to snub their nose at it. The way I see it, if a tool does everything I want it to do and comfortably with no loss of productivity ( and yup I've used the competitors extensively) I'll use it. We're not making billion poly assets here. Hell, I still start all of my models with low res basemeshes, box modeled. If a model is going to only be several thousand polys in it's final form why model it at millions of polys (barring displacement maps) and retopo it? especially for Poser assets? But I'm drifting off into rambling again lol. Good enough for Weta good enough by far for Poser ;)

But um, my subscriptions cost 20 bucks a month. I spend much much more than that a month destroying myself. So... yeah. No software soapboxes for me.

Who can say what 10 years will bring or if we'll even be here to see it. I do respect your convictions and opinions though Karina, there's things that make me foam at the mouth too.

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Thu, 28 May 2020 at 6:23 PM

Sorry for the OT. Now I've got to go and Power Wash the entire front of a supermarket in the boonies of Pennsylvania in the dead of night. In a boom lift lol.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.