Wed, Sep 18, 11:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Leaves shadow ...

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2020 at 5:49 PM · edited Wed, 11 September 2024 at 9:51 PM

I was creating a scene and thought I had a simple set up ... but well no. I had set up a large group of tree trunks but wanted the leaves to be shadows on the ground. Seemed simple to me. I attached a transparency map of leaves onto the sun ... barely showed ... so I added a spot light and applied the map to that ... same response. Fine ... I put the transparency map to a square and lined it up under the spot/area light ... still a bare hint. I inlarged the light and map ... anyway. After an embarrassing amount of time scratching my head over this. I've come here. HELP! 😉

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

willdial ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2020 at 6:47 PM

Can you post some screen shots of the material setup and of the scene? That would help us fully see what's going on.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2020 at 6:48 PM
Site Admin

I've done this, and I believe, to get the shadows to show up, I needed to move the plane very close to the scene, just barely not on camera. Even then the shadows were soft. A couple of things to keep in mind, the smaller the light, the sharper the shadows, and the closer the shadow making object is to the shadow catching object, the sharper the shadows. Shadows will be easier to see if they are sharper. At least it's that way in superfly. I don't know about firefly. You may need to adjust the shadow blur radius. The darkness of the shadows will be effected by other lights in the scene that might wash them out, like a bright sky dome.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2020 at 9:44 PM

Not at my pc now, but will show my settings tomorrow. I will try your suggestions, they make a lot of sense.

Boni

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2020 at 12:41 AM

If you don't need to show the shadows moving with the sun, it would probably be simplest to just mix the leaf pattern directly into the Ground's texture with a blender node.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

ockham ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2020 at 12:45 AM

... And come to think of it... If you do need to show the shadows moving, you could just animate the U and V offsets on the image map to scroll the leaf pattern across the ground.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

NobbyC ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2020 at 3:11 AM

Hi Boni, for couple of years i made this render in "Superfly"

Render 635.png

NobbyC ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2020 at 3:14 AM

Here is the setup that i used last time:

I put a very smal spotlight behind a "one sided square plane" with an alpha map on it.

Screenshot (75).png

NobbyC ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2020 at 3:15 AM

And here is the alpha map:

This is not from me, but can´t remeber where i found it.

alpha_map-tree.png

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2020 at 7:28 AM

NobbyC, I believe that is what I need, thank you so very much!! Oh, and thank you everyone else who have answered, I always appreciate your help.

Boni

NobbyC ( ) posted Tue, 23 June 2020 at 8:48 AM

I hope this helps, but i can remember that it takes a while to find the right setup. NobbyC

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2020 at 8:12 AM

Here is the final image ... it worked out real well!

Discovered.png

"Discovered"

Boni

NobbyC ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2020 at 9:03 AM

Nice that i could help you. But i think there a couple more possibilities to make projector lights for "superfly".

LG Nobby

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 24 June 2020 at 1:35 PM

I'm all for learning new techniques. Please share, NobbyC!

Boni

NobbyC ( ) posted Fri, 26 June 2020 at 1:15 AM

Hi Boni, actual i´m very busy. I let you know when i found some other solutions.

LG NobbyC

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 29 June 2020 at 3:06 PM

I understand busy ... it's all good. Don't work too hard!!

Boni

NobbyC ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2020 at 4:10 AM

Thank you.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2020 at 11:47 AM

Have you tried attaching the alpha map directly to the light?

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 30 June 2020 at 1:03 PM

Hi Sam! Yes, that was my original plan. the shadow was so soft as not to be noticed at first. Now I have it on a prop plane directly in the light's path and that seems to work much better. Also it avoids unwanted light that makes it look unnatural.

Boni

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.