Wed, Sep 18, 7:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Can I reload Poser Pro 2014. Has anyone done that recently??

consumer573 ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2020 at 2:08 AM · edited Sat, 07 September 2024 at 4:15 PM

I thought Smith Micro had made my Poser pro 2014 Game Developer permanent, but I got the screen saying it needs reactivation in 3 days. I guess it dies on September 2nd, 2020.

I've been a dedicated Poser user for a long time and I've acquired quite a library of models and scripts. Among the scripts I like to use are some of Ralf's (D3d) but I had written to him before he died and they only work in the 32 bit version, so I'm guessing they won't work in Poser 11.

MY QUESTION: Has any body recently found a way to go back and re-load Poser Pro 2014 and get it running recently?

Since I paid for the software and Game Developer and have done nothing to change anything and no one supports it or cares about it, are there any craccked versions where I could enter my legally paid for serial number and have it activated? Preferably a corporate legitmate cracked version?

Going back in time if Poser had a kill switch I NEVER would have bought the darned program in the first place.

I really don't want anything to do with Poser software anymore. A set of code that self destructs by defintion is unreliable.

Please don't let my Poser Game Developer Die. ...Please?

consumer573 ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2020 at 2:12 AM

I currently run both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Poser Game Developer. I bought Poser 11 and paid for it before they made it free, so it's not the money. If I could get Game Developer running (I like the ability to simplify objects and figures and I like the LIbrary) I'd be happy. Like I said above, second choice is to get Poser Pro 2014 back up and running.

consumer573 ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2020 at 2:18 AM

I'm also running Blacksmith 5. The interface sucks compared to new versions, and I actually bought a newer version, but I'm not going to support software that dies.

I have limited choice with Poser, however, because of all the models purchased over the years, unless I go DAZ. And that would mess up poser scenes and other things with Poser that I've made over time. Either way, because of the darned kill switch I now face a significant time sink just to get back to where I was three days ago. I lose because I chose Poser over Daz originally.

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2020 at 7:11 AM

Poser Pro 2014 can be reloaded as it does not do online activation; just enter your serial number. Be sure to install the latest service release after installing it...

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2949609#msg4394414

PP Game Dev will not work, unfortunately, although its serial will give you a free upgrade to PP 11...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Rhia474 ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2020 at 7:48 AM

Why not just upgrade for free to Poser 11, since you have the Dev version? posersoftware.com, have your serial number handy. It is free for Gave Dev users.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2020 at 7:53 AM
Online Now!

Agree with WandW. I still have PP2014 still running on my system. If you still all the service packs, you're good. All of D3D's scripts still work under 64 bits, you can still run 32 bits programs under Windows 10. And as mentioned in the previous post, GameDev has been replaced by Poser 11. The latest version is Poser 11.3.818.

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2020 at 8:31 AM

Thinking about it, if you enter your PP 2014 serial into Game Dev, it should become PP 2014 and you will not have to reinstall; that's what I did when it switched over to Bondware (although I had already paid for PP11! 😾 ) Under Help>Personalize...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

CHK2033 ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2020 at 1:43 PM

I, um never mind, that cat avatar looks too angry @ the moment .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Zbook 17 G6,  intel Xeon  64 GB of ram 1 TB SSD, Quadro RTX 5000 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

consumer573 ( ) posted Wed, 02 September 2020 at 1:06 PM · edited Wed, 02 September 2020 at 1:14 PM

Wandw and others (1) Thanks for all the content links! I copied them to a spreadsheet for now. I haven't checket them yet but they look invaluable!

Thank you so much for the help and advice!

Looks like my Game Developer really is a gonner, but at least I have something to fall back on.

Yes, I copied my disk to test and realized that you can find your Poser Software's serial number under "Help/Personalize" in the poser pull downs. By entering my PPro2014 serial number Game Developer reverts back down and doesn't seem to give me the "Need to activate in 2 Days" message (as of today).

Since I paid for both Game Developer ($79?) AND Poser 11 ($189?) I'm going to see if I can load Poser 11 on my machine without messing up the Poser 2014 settings. If I can go at least a year without having to brace my standalone to go directly to rendo (I run without security and the speeds up the machine considerably - but it is not aloows to the web) maybe I'll use it as long as it doesn't cost me anything more than I've already invested.

Rhia, going to Poser 11 doesn't help the problem of the software cutting out. I wouldn't buy a coffee maker or a dishwasher if it had a cut off and I had to apply for permission to keep using it. With all the money that models cost - model purchases make it different from other types of software because of the separate and significant consumer investments therein (and the work the artists put into creating them) - it seems vaguely unethical to have a software that you can't just load on your machine that will continue to work as long as you have that machine. The death of Game developer, and all the tsuris it generated multiple times over its short life, has cemented my opinion NEVER to buy from a vendor that has this policy. Sorry Rendo. It's not the money. I won't support you as long as you do this.

Regarding D3D, I couldn't use his V4 tanning and coloring scripts on 64 bit and had to load 32 bit. This wasn't a mistake on my part as I corresponded with him and he asked whether I was using 64 bit. He told me to load 32 bit and after that I had no problem. That said, he may of later updated these scripts.

consumer573 ( ) posted Wed, 02 September 2020 at 1:22 PM · edited Wed, 02 September 2020 at 1:29 PM

With a kill switch policy, people new to the modeling environment will probably look at it the way I would. Why would I ever want to buy specialized models from a company that pretty much only work on that company's software and then have not only to pay for software when there was another company giving away a similar version free, but also to repeatedly have to ask for permission to use it or it will cut out. That business case just seems so obviously stupid.

And the thing is, while Rendo can track users of their software, they will probably never know how many users they lost because the user just decided not to purchase Poser in the first place.

If we were starting at time zero, I wouldn't choose Poser. But I'm really rooting for it to succeed.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 02 September 2020 at 7:17 PM
Online Now!

Don't misunderstand Bondware's position on the kill switch, it was SmithMicro that created that situation in the first place by installing it into PP2014 GameDev and Poser Pro 11. It was a controversial move on their part and they did allow for opting out of the phone home feature but not without jumping through hoops. However, if you re-install the software onto a freshly formatted computer or new system, you were back to square one. And I don't know how easily you can remove such a feature without breaking the software especially when the same techs who developed the software are no longer available. Hopefully, the phone home feature will disappear completely with the next Poser 12 release. You have a right to voice your opinion on this matter and I believe Bondware is aware of every users concern about it. Only time will tell, ATM.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 02 September 2020 at 7:22 PM
Online Now!

BTW, Poser 2014 and Poser 11 can coexist together. I have that arrangement on my computer. The installation will create a new folder. As for D3D, Ralf has passed away some time ago so I wouldn't expect any updates of his existing scripts any time soon.

Kerya ( ) posted Wed, 02 September 2020 at 11:59 PM

hborre posted at 11:56PM Wed, 02 September 2020 - #4398489

Don't misunderstand Bondware's position on the kill switch, it was SmithMicro that created that situation in the first place by installing it into PP2014 GameDev and Poser Pro 11. It was a controversial move on their part and they did allow for opting out of the phone home feature but not without jumping through hoops. However, if you re-install the software onto a freshly formatted computer or new system, you were back to square one. And I don't know how easily you can remove such a feature without breaking the software especially when the same techs who developed the software are no longer available. Hopefully, the phone home feature will disappear completely with the next Poser 12 release. You have a right to voice your opinion on this matter and I believe Bondware is aware of every users concern about it. Only time will tell, ATM.

Well ... they were able to change the frequency of the call home "feature" from about a month (SM) to 9 days (Bondware) ... so I somehow I don't believe they were not able to do something about it.

The official position is that it is here to stay (which is why I am staying with my trusted PP2014 NONGameDev).

I did buy updates from Poser 5 upwards and stopped with PP2014.

Lucky for me I like DazStudio too.

consumer573 ( ) posted Fri, 04 September 2020 at 2:52 PM · edited Fri, 04 September 2020 at 2:57 PM

Knowing that Poser Pro 2014 and Poser 11 can coexist is important. I'm sure I'll have a learning curve teaching it my library files locations, unless the XML libary link is the same.

I'm going to see if I can load Poser 11 and see where it leads. My grapichs machine runs lean and does not have any security so a 9 day access would not work, but when Bondware first took over they said there would be some leeway, and I'm hoping that's true.

IF Rendo peeps do in fact IMHO see the light and allow Poser 11, 12 and future releases to be installed on machines as Poser Pro 2014 and versions prior to it without it ever having to expire, I'll proclaim from the rooftops that people should support Poser!

I really believe Rendo loses by having a kill switch. Unless when checking in it's sending more information back to the company than anyone currently realizes... but I don't know how they'd monetize that if it was a serious amount of data per individual. It's still a niche market, relatively speaking.

I started nominally with Poser 3 and updated to 5, but I didn't really get into it until Poser 7 when they offered Poser Software along with Mirye Shade. When the two of them were working together it was great! A gaming/modeling software along with Poser and Poser support. I've alwasys felt that it's too bad the union fell apart. I still use Shade 13 even though I think I kept on going buying one or two newer versions until they exited the US market.

consumer573 ( ) posted Fri, 04 September 2020 at 3:02 PM

So, (I write too much above).

Where do I download the latest version of Poser 11 that my serial numbers will allow?

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 04 September 2020 at 6:03 PM
Online Now!

Posersoftware.com. Click on the red banner.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.