Sat, Sep 21, 12:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Using Daz Content In Poser?

BabaBozo ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2020 at 9:10 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:20 PM

I'd be interested to learn more about the relationship between Poser and Daz content.

For starters, I know that some (but apparently not all) Daz content can be used in Poser already, but I'm very fuzzy on the details, and an education will be welcomed on that matter. When I'm shopping here or elsewhere how would I identify Daz content which will work in Poser without any jury rigging nerd tricks etc?

More to the point, I'd be interested to know if the development team has plans to make all Daz content work in Poser. Given that the 3D content stores seem to contain mostly Daz content such an upgrade would surely be useful to Poser users.

Best I can tell (somewhat educated guess) from 3-4 months using Daz, and now a few weeks in Poser....

Daz has more and better content, while Poser software is far superior (especially for animators).

This is just my impression from my own limited experience, and what I'm reading around the net. Will welcome any discussion which can further educate me on the matter. If my impression is generally correct, then obviously what I'd like to do is use Daz content in Poser software.

I was talking to someone the other day who owns a content store which overwhelmingly contains Daz content, even though the domain name makes it clear they started in Poser. Their opinion was that the future of Poser depends upon it's ability to use Daz content. I've read lots of other opinions along the same general line. How true?

I LOVE Poser software generally, and have no interest in trying Daz again. Been there, done that, waste of time. But when I'm shopping most the content which grabs my eye is for Daz.

QUESTION: Is there reason to hope that Daz and Poser will someday get married?

Well, ok, you know, again. They got divorced some time ago, and now we need them to get re-married, or something. :-)

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2020 at 10:06 AM

When DAZ began, they supplied a good deal of content for Poser. DAZStudio was in its infancy and at one time was for purchase. As their software developed and eventually became free, they integrated Poser and DS content into one package, the best of both worlds. At one point along the way, DAZ 3d changed hands, and the corporation decided to move away from Poser by making Genesis and company more exclusive to DS rather than Poser. Currently, DAZ vendors still create some Poser content alongside their DAZ content but that is becoming far and few between. The generation 4 models (Victoria 4, Michael 4, etc.) are still very popular and widely used, that accounts for content still being produced and available, but who knows how long that will last. A marriage between the two? I don't think there is any possibility of that happening again; that ship has sailed.

BabaBozo ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2020 at 10:38 AM

Hi hborre, thanks for being your usual helpful self. I had a general sense of the history involved, but not to the level of detail you have.

Ok, so the content creators are largely moving to Daz, thanks for confirming that.

1. In your opinion, does that mean that the only path to survival for Poser is to be able to work with Daz content?

2. If yes, wouldn't that be in everyone's interest? Daz sells more content, and Rendo sells more Poser software, right?

This is the "marriage" I had in mind. Not a merger of the companies, but a bringing together of the best content with the best software. I'm curious if Rendo staff share this analysis, and if so, whether they have plans in the works to make a coming version of Poser compatible with all Daz content?

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2020 at 11:16 AM

To answer 1, when V4 was queen and the same file formats were shared between the two software, Rendo posted more Poser merchandise than it currently does now. As a matter of fact, the content was equally compatible between both software so it didn't matter where you bought content (Renderosity, DAZ 3D, RuntimeDNA, Renderotica, etc.), it all worked in Poser and DAZ 3D.

To answer 2, everyone wants a piece of the pie, and ATM, the Genesis series of models is very popular. It makes sense to offer diverse content at both places. Some users don't care about the DAZ's download policies and don't want to deal with the website, in general. Some vendors don't care to deal with DAZ either for whatever personal reason, so they sell their content at other outlets.

Trying to make Poser compatible with DAZ Content is a tall order. You are talking about a major change in the application that had compatibility before. It was already tried with DSON when Genesis was first introduced, and now it is barely supported. To be honest, implementing those type of changes could make Poser unaffortable in the long run, pricing itself out of the market. And ATM, DAZ does not inform anyone when they make changes to their software and formats.

BabaBozo ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2020 at 11:48 AM

Ok, so you see major technical challenges involved in making Daz content work in Poser. That seems a reasonable theory, not that I know the details involved. It seems a reasonable theory because generally speaking the 3D industry as a whole has largely failed to establish reliable data transfer standards (unlike the 2D photo and video industry).

Is it your impression that most users are content to make still photos and aren't really interested in animation? If that's true, that would help to explain why so many people seem happy with Daz even though it's animation features don't come close to Poser, imho. So Poser has this big advantage in animation, but most people don't want to animate?

Could you perhaps further educate me about the generation 4 models? Is content for these models usable in both Daz and Poser? If yes, how does one identify such content in the content stores? Is there a list of such models somewhere that I need to memorize?

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2020 at 12:26 PM

There are, perhaps, a hand full of users that post animation on youtube, since I don't animate myself, I can't refer you. However, the animation is not restricted to just creating video content, we can use animation to dress models better with dynamic clothing, create dynamic hair, or generate better pose from several static poses. But the animation aspect can be tedious and the workflow intensive.

Generation 4 models, by far, still the most popular figures created by DAZ 3D compatible in both DS and Poser. Easily identified as Victoria 4, Michael 4, Aiko 4, She-Freak 4, The Freak 4, The Girl 4, Stephanie 4, The Kids 4, etc. They are all tagged with a 4 on the end of their names and content created for them is usually depicted in the descriptions. Thank goodness DS has kept the format interpretation of Poser files so that content can be read in both software. All the base models can be found at DAZ 3D, but I wouldn't go quickly to their site for immediate purchase. Once in a while, those models and morph packages appear in their free section for about a week or two. Wellworth picking them up then if you are patient to wait. Loads of content everywhere.

BabaBozo ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2020 at 4:57 PM

Thanks for the explanation of the 4 series models. I'll keep an eye out for sales. Appreciate you giving me the lay of the land on this.

Thinking more about Daz to Poser, it seems the files in both cases are just data. So it should be possible to create stand alone software which converts from one format to the other. You know, there are many 3D data converters already available. That said, it would probably be wise for me to stop concerning myself with any of this.

I'm puzzled that most users don't wish to animate, but yea, it's more work for sure. Personally, if I couldn't animate I wouldn't bother with 3D at all, but that's just one person's subjective experience. To each their own is a good rule.

Thanks as always for your input!

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2020 at 5:24 PM

No problem, always glad to help. As a little insight into the origin of Poser, it originally was created as an artist aid, a tool for 2D drawing - nothing more, nothing less. Load your figure on to the stage, move it around, dress it, and pose. Then sketch the results to paper. It was later that users began experimenting with material poses (MATPose) and started changing textures on figures, props, and clothing. Next, scene building and rendering, and a whole new art form were born.

BabaBozo ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2020 at 5:41 PM

Well, um, never mind about all of the above. :-)

I just tried to install my first content. What a total mess this system is.

I got Poser for $80, and I'm sincerely happy with that purchase because the software and included content are definitely worth that price. No complaints there at all.

But instead of investing further in this platform I think I'm going to start taking a closer look at the pro level systems.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 13 September 2020 at 6:00 PM

What's the problem?

BabaBozo ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2020 at 7:13 AM

I'm allergic to pointless FUBAR.

But enough of such ranting, let's put the concept in a positive manner...

1. We might consider how laser focused Amazon is on making the ordering, delivering, and returning experience for their customers as simple and straightforward as is humanly possible. As example, did you know that if you want to return a product you've purchased at Amazon you don't need to box it up for shipping? You just take the opened product to UPS or any number of other approved local stores, and they take care of the rest, at Amazon's expense.

2. Next we might notice that Amazon is arguably the most successful retailer in human history, and it's owner Jeff Bazos is the richest person on the planet.

Amazon gets that the smart way to sell things is to relentlessly remove every possible obstacle that stands between the customer and what you want them to do.

If Poser wishes to survive a competition with free Daz software that provides access to content the market generally prefers, it might consider studying the Amazon example.

So I've now made this point every way I know how, so it's time to let this one go. What will be will be.

FragmentedFortunes ( ) posted Mon, 14 September 2020 at 1:59 PM

It can be confusing installing content at first, you need to get to know the runtime structure and then it soon becomes second nature as to which files to put where and which can be moved to make products easy to find.

I don't think you can say which software is better, it is a bit horses for courses. Some people find Daz Studio a breeze and some the same for Poser. It just takes time to learn your way around whichever software you choose and ask if your stuck. Plenty of help around on the forums if you need it.

I use Daz Studio myself, but lots of poser scenes and prop content. Just takes tweaking of the surfaces and they work fine. I would imagine it works the same in reverse. Persevere it just takes a bit of time.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.