Wed, Sep 18, 7:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / The Break Room

Welcome to the The Break Room Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Lobo3433

The Break Room F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: 1960s Console

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 14 December 2020 at 11:30 AM

EClark1894 posted at 11:29AM Mon, 14 December 2020 - #4407505

I remember the days when I used to stay logged in on this forum.

Anyway, this one may fool some of you.

image.png

I wouldn't want to bet but it looks very much like a vintage guitar amp. Gibson used to make them in a similar style. Then again, it could be an old radio.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 14 December 2020 at 12:14 PM

Aww, you're probably older than God, Sam. You probably know everything he doesn't. :)

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 14 December 2020 at 3:33 PM

Deecey posted at 3:29PM Mon, 14 December 2020 - #4407461

Frankensteining is right! LOL

As soon as you mentioned hairdresser, I realized what it was. I was only perming my hair during the 1980s, and then only because my hair was so unruly and wild, I had to do something to tame it. Once we got to the 1990s, I didn't do it anymore. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that all the years I was perming my hair. ~cringe~

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 3:09 AM

EClark1894 posted at 3:09AM Tue, 15 December 2020 - #4407518

Aww, you're probably older than God, Sam. You probably know everything he doesn't. :)

Hehehe.

My Store

My Gallery

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 5:28 AM

I got the swing away can opener ... the clothes wringer ... but not the middle one. And the first ... I had one in my bedroom as a teen (Grand-parents weren't into stereos) and I recall that called a stereo cabinet. Mine looked very much like this one. I recall sitting in front of it just right to get the balance of stereo!! The hand mixer also called an egg-beater ... I've actually been looking for a new one cuz sometimes they work better than the electric ones.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 6:14 AM

Boni posted at 6:10AM Tue, 15 December 2020 - #4407591

I got the swing away can opener ... the clothes wringer ... but not the middle one. And the first ... I had one in my bedroom as a teen (Grand-parents weren't into stereos) and I recall that called a stereo cabinet. Mine looked very much like this one. I recall sitting in front of it just right to get the balance of stereo!! The hand mixer also called an egg-beater ... I've actually been looking for a new one cuz sometimes they work better than the electric ones.

I agree. I hand one when I was a teen and I used to bake cakes all the time. My brothers thought there was something wrong with me, but I noticed they all ate the cakes. :)

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 6:15 AM

Never had one of these, but I always wanted a modern one.

image.png

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 6:21 AM

This one should be easy for an old git like Sam. :)

image.png

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 6:26 AM · edited Tue, 15 December 2020 at 6:29 AM

Let's leave this one for the youngsters. I want see if anyone under thirty knows what it is.

image.png Extra point if you know WHAT it was used FOR.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 6:36 AM

A thirty year old might know this one. 15 to 20 years, forget it! :)

image.png

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 6:43 AM

Final one for today.

image.png

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 7:27 AM
Site Admin

EClark1894 posted at 7:25AM Tue, 15 December 2020 - #4407602

Let's leave this one for the youngsters. I want see if anyone under thirty knows what it is.

image.png Extra point if you know WHAT it was used FOR.

I know this one. I never needed it. My pair was the next newer model that didn't need it. They had wingnuts instead.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 7:32 AM
Site Admin

EClark1894 posted at 7:27AM Tue, 15 December 2020 - #4407603

A thirty year old might know this one. 15 to 20 years, forget it! :)

image.png

we had one of these on our house until a few years ago when the wind bent the piping it was on. It didn't work. We still have a modern digital version because it beats adjusting rabbit ears. I'm not saying a lot of these answers because hubby and I are older and we had a lot of contact with those who were seniors when we were young. If we didn't own these growing up, they did. But I figure anyone who knows what rabbit ears are, know this thing too.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 7:32 AM

A nut chopper

A shoe "spoon" for guiding one's heel into footwear

A key to manually tighten "adjustable" roller skates that 'clamped" upon one's regular footwear

A rooftop TV aerial for VHF and UHF signals (no longer used)

a home "bonnet" hair dryer

In case anybody is wondering, I'm 58 years old.

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 7:34 AM
Site Admin

EClark1894 posted at 7:32AM Tue, 15 December 2020 - #4407604

Final one for today.

image.png

This one I'm going to guess on because hubby and I are in disagreement on it. I think it's a hairdryer, hubby thinks it's a table lamp.

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 7:34 AM

I see Red Phantom beat me about the "key" and the antenna as I was composing.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 7:36 AM
Site Admin

I wanted to add a picture. The egg beater reminded me of it. In my mind, they sort of go together, one for the Mrs., one for the Mr, at least for most back at the time both were the common option

handtool.jpg

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 8:22 AM

I was about to identify it, but then I remembered EClark wants the younger member to try guessing.

Again, my grandmother had one (which i believe just her husband used), but it wasn't really needed when I moved in with all my father's stuff which included a 1960s electric model (which i still use).

Sincerely,

Bill

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 8:27 AM · edited Tue, 15 December 2020 at 8:30 AM

Redfern posted at 8:25AM Tue, 15 December 2020 - #4407608

A nut chopper

Food Chopper.

A rooftop TV aerial for VHF and UHF signals (no longer used)

Actually, they are in rural or mountain areas.

In case anybody is wondering, I'm 58 years old.

And RP posted a pic of a drill. I think we had one in our wood shop class in high school.

Btw, tell your hubby, you were right about the hair dryer.

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 8:35 AM

I meant the signals. Haven't the VHF and UHF bands been reassigned by the FCC to other functions, meaning if one does not want to deal with 'cable" or "satellite", one now needs a special "convertor" box connected to the VHF screws to get an "over the air" or "rabbit ear" signal?

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 8:44 AM · edited Tue, 15 December 2020 at 8:47 AM

Redfern posted at 8:40AM Tue, 15 December 2020 - #4407620

I meant the signals. Haven't the VHF and UHF bands been reassigned by the FCC to other functions, meaning if one does not want to deal with 'cable" or "satellite", one now needs a special "convertor" box connected to the VHF screws to get an "over the air" or "rabbit ear" signal?

No. They're still used mostly by television stations, most of whom still broadcast signals using those frequencies. But they ALSO broadcast using digital signals. It was these signals that the FCC mandated that all TV stations had to broadcast in by a certain date.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 12:06 PM

RedPhantom posted at 12:05PM Tue, 15 December 2020 - #4407611

I wanted to add a picture. The egg beater reminded me of it. In my mind, they sort of go together, one for the Mrs., one for the Mr, at least for most back at the time both were the common option

handtool.jpg

My dad had one of those, and AFAIK, my stepmom still has it.

My Store

My Gallery

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 2:54 PM
Site Admin

We still have an aerial antenna. They have digital ones now so you don’t need a converter box. We can pick up channels from cities a couple of hours away. The signal is usually good. There’s not much on, but I find the same thing with cable and this is free.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 3:08 PM

Since I posted the key this morning, thought I might as well post the skates too. I had a pair of these when I was about twelve years old. After a while, we took them apaart and made a skateboard out of them. If I can find one of those, I'll post it too.

image.png

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 3:12 PM

Here's what we did with old rollerskates.

image.png

mrsparky ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 4:11 PM · edited Tue, 15 December 2020 at 4:12 PM

bigwrench.jpg

My dad had one of those, and AFAIK, my stepmom still has it.

Well I'm not ashamed to admit to grumpy old fart status :)

I bought a new one of those, also got the 1st one above. Plus I'd love to own a vintage (not modern) 2nd one. The 3rd, complete with original 1942 "Big Dick" logo, (the name of a dog, honest guv) is currently in a tub of oil as it was rusted solid.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

mrsparky ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 4:12 PM

To replace @4407600, I recommend a Trumpeter Paint Mixer, through that doesn't squeeze the teabag and I've never figured out why my tea tastes of Humbrol enamel.

And for @4407601, I trust an erstwhile gentleman would get his manservant to pull his boots on and not resort to such modern frippery:)

CobraBlade ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 4:23 PM

EClark1894 posted at 8:34AM Sun, 13 December 2020

When I was just a kid, my mom bought one of these things. We had it until just before she died. It was always in the living Room/ It was also my first exposure to FM radio and an eight-track cassette player. It's so wierd to had little kids and young folks look at stuff that was so common back when I was a kid and not even know what it is. So, watch this thread over the next few days. I'm going to post pics of common household appliances from back in the day, and see if anyone can tell me what is.

image.png

Blimey, I remember these but completely forgot about them until now. Amazing how much has changed, where electrical appliances were more hidden away and discrete. Now electrical appliances are in your face every corner you turn.

What a cool idea for a thread, so many things here jogging memories of different times now gone.

Poser scripts by Snarlygribbly

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 15 December 2020 at 8:30 PM

I figure everybody knows what this is, an stove and oven. Yes, youngsters, before the microwave, even before the toaster oven, there was the full size model. All electric. I didn't remember before I saw this pic. but the oven was Huge. You could literally climb inside if you were stupid and a child. There were four electric burners on the oven. Two large and two small. I don't remember why, I DO remember that I burned myself on one of those burners when I was small. I still have the burn mark on my wrist but I don't remember HOW I burned myself or when.

image.png

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 16 December 2020 at 4:46 PM

EClark1894 posted at 4:40PM Wed, 16 December 2020 - #4407667

I figure everybody knows what this is, an stove and oven. Yes, youngsters, before the microwave, even before the toaster oven, there was the full size model. All electric. I didn't remember before I saw this pic. but the oven was Huge. You could literally climb inside if you were stupid and a child. There were four electric burners on the oven. Two large and two small. I don't remember why, I DO remember that I burned myself on one of those burners when I was small. I still have the burn mark on my wrist but I don't remember HOW I burned myself or when.

image.png

Ha! That's nowt! When I were a lad, there were 150 of us in a cardboard box in t' middle o t' road.

But anyway, we moved into a place that still had an old Yorkshire range fitted. They were once the primary cooking appliance, particularly in the north of England, hence their name. Most people took them out - as did my dad - but they're fashionable again.

They were basically an oven and hob system built into and around a coal fireplace. Common in cottages, country houses and working class homes in the 19th and early 20th century. Many survived in poor areas until the 1960s.

My Store

My Gallery

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 18 December 2020 at 8:58 AM · edited Fri, 18 December 2020 at 9:00 AM

Okay, time to be truthful. I've never actually used one of these things, but I know about them because I saw them used on tv in some of my favorite tv shows and movies.

image.png

Here's a more modern one. Anyone over thirty may have actually used one in the last twenty or twenty five years.

image.png

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 18 December 2020 at 9:06 AM

Remember these? They may look a little different from the ones in your country.

image.png

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 18 December 2020 at 10:29 AM

EClark1894 posted at 10:28AM Fri, 18 December 2020 - #4407880

image.png

Can't even see what they are, other than teeny, tiny pictures. Some kind of ad for car stuff, but that's all.

My Store

My Gallery

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 18 December 2020 at 11:43 AM · edited Fri, 18 December 2020 at 11:49 AM

SamTherapy posted at 11:42AM Fri, 18 December 2020 - #4407890

EClark1894 posted at 10:28AM Fri, 18 December 2020 - #4407880

image.png

Can't even see what they are, other than teeny, tiny pictures. Some kind of ad for car stuff, but that's all.

It's the inside of a certain book. I didn't want to show the outside because you'd get it for sure. I don't know if you had them in the UK. You probably did, though. Hint: It might be inside a fake TARDIS. :)

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 18 December 2020 at 12:28 PM
Online Now!

It's either a Sears & Robuck Catalogue or a phone book.

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 18 December 2020 at 2:01 PM

EClark1894 posted at 1:59PM Fri, 18 December 2020 - #4407877

Here's a more modern one. Anyone over thirty may have actually used one in the last twenty or twenty five years.

image.png

Geeze, does that bring back memories, especially the ones in the outdoor phone booths. The phone booths went out of style when everyone started getting cellphones, and didn't need them anymore.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 18 December 2020 at 4:26 PM · edited Fri, 18 December 2020 at 4:28 PM

Miss B posted at 4:25PM Fri, 18 December 2020 - #4407900

EClark1894 posted at 1:59PM Fri, 18 December 2020 - #4407877

image.png

Geeze, does that bring back memories, especially the ones in the outdoor phone booths. The phone booths went out of style when everyone started getting cellphones, and didn't need them anymore.

Speaking of phone booths. This one's on sale for $3,800. I'm nostalgic, not rich or crazy. :)

image.png

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 18 December 2020 at 6:40 PM

I liked the look of our old red phone boxes. The handsets inside were cool, until they changed to a really drab utilitarian design in the 1970s.

I'd show one but for some reason, uploads are misbehaving.

My Store

My Gallery

EClark1894 ( ) posted Fri, 18 December 2020 at 7:27 PM

I tried to find one like this before. Our console had an eight track cassette tape player in it..

{{image.png}}

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 19 December 2020 at 9:55 AM

EClark1894 posted at 9:55AM Sat, 19 December 2020 - #4407927

I tried to find one like this before. Our console had an eight track cassette tape player in it..

{{image.png}}

Looks like pic uploads are broken for you, too.

My Store

My Gallery

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 19 December 2020 at 11:15 AM

How many have seen one of these...

0620191513.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 19 December 2020 at 4:00 PM

Ah, Steampunk Karaoke.

My Store

My Gallery

mrsparky ( ) posted Sun, 20 December 2020 at 1:36 PM

Hard to tell from pic, but could be the US equivalent of a Hayne's "manual". Which for those less blessed was "officially" a book that showed you how to dissemble/reassamble your vehicle. such as by year, model number etc. Reality? despite owning several an oil and blood stained copies you'd never manage to get all the bits back into the gearbox.

In the 21st century they do versions for anything from the USS Enterprise to Tardis's. Which probably explains why my Tardis never works :)

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 20 December 2020 at 2:50 PM

It was the interior of a phone book. Those were white, but I've always known them to be Yellow pages.

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 22 December 2020 at 9:31 AM

The picture I posted above I took in The Dalles, Oregon last summer. It is a Sears Silvertone wire recorder from around 1948. Wire recorders were the predecessor to tape recorders...

http://www.antiqueradio.com/May10_Curiale_Silvertone.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 22 December 2020 at 6:35 PM

Our B&W tv set from the 60s.

image.png

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 22 December 2020 at 6:42 PM · edited Tue, 22 December 2020 at 6:42 PM

Pic reminds me of my Christmases in Walnut Terrace when I was around 5 to 8. We had the tree until we moved to the house I'm living in now. It stayed with us until I was around 15 or so. No, that's not me.

image.png

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 22 December 2020 at 6:46 PM · edited Tue, 22 December 2020 at 6:46 PM

We used to have our Christmas Parades at night. Then they moved them to the daytime and I stopped going. Wasn't as fun as before.

image.png

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.