Mon, Sep 9, 8:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 12:17 am)

Subject: Genesis 8.1 compatability rumblings

ashley9803 ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2021 at 2:07 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 8:24 AM

Over at the Daz forums a user has discovered the reason why Genesis 8 expressions don't work with Genesis 8.1. Apparently placeholders were slotted in the 8.1 morph files that disable expression cross-functionality with Genesis 8. When these placeholders are removed G8 expressions will work with 8.1. Speculation on the forums is that they serve no other purpose other than to disable G8 expressions being used on G8.1, so as to sell G8.1 expressions some say. Note that G8.1 is just an update to an existing model and not a new generation. Daz Corp better come up with as acceptable explanation because ill-feeling and speculation is growing on their forums.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2021 at 9:47 AM

Speculation by a few is that.... Others have pointed out various issues with this speculation, including that Genesis 8 still works, that it's trivial to circumvent, that there are a few issues (which may well be part of the reason for blocking the old morphs), and that it adds mode data (with an impact on load time) which is in part redundant.

PendraiaFaeCreations ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2021 at 6:54 PM

Hi Richard, I haven't downloaded the most recent version of DS yet and I assume that's when you get 8.1. That said if the expressions don't work with an update surely that is a reasonable issue for people to raise? I know if that was going to happen to me I would want to know before downloading the update. Was it made clear that this would happen and why?

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 30 January 2021 at 9:06 PM

Genesis 8.1 is a separate figure included with an updated Genesis 8 Starter Essentials (and there is a new PBRSkin sahder in an updated Default resources). DS 4.15 is required to take full advantage.

Genesis 8.1 will pick up most things for Genesis 8 (that's one of the reasons you need an updated DS), but expressions have been reworked - the basic bones are still there, and custom morphs will work, but the old Daz Genesis 8 Expressions (the companion product to the head and body morphs) won't load without fiddling, and that of course breaks add-ons which depend on the product. Said fiddling does introduce issues of its own, and having both the new and old expressions does slow loading, so it's not an unmixed blessing (which may well be why the product is set up the way it is).

The original Genesis 8 is still there and still works as before.

PendraiaFaeCreations ( ) posted Sun, 31 January 2021 at 4:04 PM

Thanks Richard for the info. That makes more sense if they have provided the original as well as the updated.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 31 January 2021 at 4:29 PM

pendraia posted at 4:27PM Sun, 31 January 2021 - #4411572

Thanks Richard for the info. That makes more sense if they have provided the original as well as the updated.

The originals, if owned, can be made available - it's just a question of removing a folder of placeholders. Genesis 8.1 is designed to, by default, pick up the Genesis 8 morphs (etc.) with no action required. But as I said, there are some minor issues (conflicts) if the base expressions are made available, as well as some functional redundancy.

PendraiaFaeCreations ( ) posted Sun, 31 January 2021 at 8:13 PM

Fair enough.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sun, 07 February 2021 at 3:34 PM

Well i have installed the G8.1F but the new pbr mats are not there, i was told to download Daz Central and install "How to update Update your Daz Studio Default Resources package (DIM or DazCentral) to 4.15+" but its not on my list of plugins in daz central or in studio, i have no idea how to even find this plugin let alone find the update... anyone know of any ideas?

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

Bejaymac ( ) posted Mon, 08 February 2021 at 6:37 AM

The new shader is in the "Default Resources for DAZStudio 4.15" pack, which replaces the previous "Default Resources for DAZStudio 4.9" pack.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 08 February 2021 at 9:11 AM

But where do i find the "Default Resources for DAZStudio 4.15 pack" ? its not in my daz central, i cannot find it in any part of their site, or my install files....

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 08 February 2021 at 9:27 AM

It's part of the DS footprint, so Daz Central would usually have done it along with the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials update. The base Genesis 8.1s do not use the new shader, but there should be a new preset for applying it if you wish to experiment.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 09 February 2021 at 9:00 PM

Thanks RHaseltine, my daz studios is a bit messed up, and doesnt like the preset shaders anymore, i have to apply them from the content library and not from the surfaces as if i select a surface preset it wants me to close the work im doing... sigh.... just will have to deal without out it.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 10 February 2021 at 2:56 PM

That sounds like an issue with the Content Management System, treating everything as a scene file rather than the correct type of file.

manleystanley ( ) posted Thu, 18 February 2021 at 3:17 PM

I can't use G8 at all. Hell can't use G3 ether lol Both insta crash carrara. :D

cymbidium ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2021 at 1:26 PM

RHaseltine posted at 1:25PM Fri, 19 February 2021 - #4412467

That sounds like an issue with the Content Management System, treating everything as a scene file rather than the correct type of file.

I've had that same thing happen with older files also. How on earth do you actually solve that problem, Richard?

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2021 at 2:17 PM

I'm not sure - the first thing to do is check whether it is only certain files that are causing the issue, and if so whether they are your own files or third party content

cymbidium ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2021 at 2:27 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Richard! Without checking, I already know that they are third party content, and only certain files, but it would be difficult for me to check which ones because I noticed this some time ago, so have forgotten by now. Reading the end of this thread reminded me. :)

RHaseltine ( ) posted Fri, 19 February 2021 at 2:42 PM

If they came with metadata you could try deleting the products (right-click on the container in the Products list in the Content Library pane), then reimport their metadata (Content Library option menu, the lined/hamburger button in the top corner or right-click the tab)>Content DB Maintenance, check Reimport Metadata, then in the next dialogue select just the products you are reimporting. Of course I'd try this with just the one product to see if it helped rather than doing the whole lot in one go and possibly make things worse..

cymbidium ( ) posted Sat, 20 February 2021 at 4:07 AM

Ok, I'll try that when I next encounter this problem. Thanks for the advice Richard! :)

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2021 at 1:04 PM

Strand based hair on the Torso/Body surface does not seem to be compatible between G8 and G8.1 as far as I can tell, does anyone know of a reasonable workaround for this? The material surface group for Torso was renamed to Body, I'm pretty sure this is what's causing the incompatibility.

My Freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.