Fri, Oct 4, 12:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 4:44 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: I have to ask this every time I reinstall Poser.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 3:01 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 12:19 PM

When you reinstall Poser, it always opens with the grid showing. I just installed the update. And I didn't keep my settings because I wanted to start over.
I can't remember how to get it to open without the grid showing, because I can never remember how you shut off the grid.

And I can't find a way to view my old posts on this forum either. How do I turn it off?

Thanks again for the help!

So how do I shut off the grid, I just want it to load a blank window when I click on New?

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 3:40 PM

The grid?

If want, you may setup your own default scene, the one when the program opens, or when you ask for a new scene.

1. setup the scene you want
  2. enter the parameters dialog (Edit > preferences or Ctrl-K)
  3. Clic on the button "Set Preferred Scene" and check that "Launch to preferred scene" is selected

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

MikeMoss ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 4:15 PM

The problem is that when you ask for a new scene it loads with the grid showing, I need to remember how to turn it off. Once I do that, I can set it as Preferred State. But I can't stop it from loading grid to start with.

Like I said, I have this every time I reinstall, and I can't remember how to turn it off, I know there's a simple way to do it, but I'm blank about it.

bwldrd ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 4:59 PM

By grid I'm supposing you mean the ground plane. Several ways to turn it off, the quickest is ctrl-g which sets it as not visible.. I don't believe the ground can be deleted from a scene as I have tried and poser always puts it back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider me insane if you wish, but is your reality any better?

MikeMoss ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 5:10 PM

I want the ground plane flat with no Grid or the up sweep in the back, just the plain flat ground pane that you can make the color you want. What I see is like a photographers' studio with a grid pattern on it, that's what I'm trying to get rid of, I should have gone into more detail to start with. Poser always starts out like this in the newer versions and I can never remember how you get rid of it, I think you turn it off someplace, but I can't remember how, and I can't find it.

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 5:45 PM · edited Thu, 05 August 2021 at 5:46 PM

OK, I believe you're referring to the Construct that started with Poser 11. I don't like it either, so what I did was go to Runtime > Libraries > Scene > Poser 11 Environments and chose Poser 10 Workspace.

Then follow Y-Phil's 3 step method of setting up your "preferred scene". Be sure to close Poser, and then open it again. What you should see when you open Poser is the plain flat Ground Plane that older versions of Poser always had. If you follow Y-Phil's instructions, that's also what you'll see if you start a "new" scene. It's also how I initially set it up for Poser 11, as I much prefer it to the Construct.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

MikeMoss ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 6:08 PM

Thanks, I know how to set it up once I get rid of it. But getting rid of it is a pain.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 6:18 PM · edited Thu, 05 August 2021 at 6:19 PM

Thanks again, that worked, it now opens with a blank screen. Like I said, I go through this every time I install since I got poser 11, and now 12. Much better!!!

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 7:02 PM
Site Admin

since you say you often forget how to get back to the flat ground plane, once you get your preferred scene set up, you might save an extra copy of it somewhere where it won't get erased by a clean install, and then all you have to do is load it and it will have everything set up the way you want it quick and easy.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 8:24 PM

RedPhantom posted at 8:23PM Thu, 05 August 2021 - #4424657

since you say you often forget how to get back to the flat ground plane, once you get your preferred scene set up, you might save an extra copy of it somewhere where it won't get erased by a clean install, and then all you have to do is load it and it will have everything set up the way you want it quick and easy.

Good point RedPhantom, as I have several startup scenes, depending on what I'm going to be working on, and I have them saved on my external hard drive.

Butterfly Dezignz

HartyBart ( ) posted Fri, 06 August 2021 at 3:21 AM · edited Fri, 06 August 2021 at 3:22 AM

Not sure about Poser 12, but Poser 11 ships with what you want. An old-school Poser 10 default scene. It's found under: Library | Scene | Poser 11 Environments | Poser 10 Workspace.

Here's a script to load it, and select Ground ready for coloring. I guess in Poser 12 you just change "Poser 11" to "Poser 12":

import poser

scene = poser.Scene()

# Close current document.
poser.CloseDocument(0)

# Open the old-school Poser 10 default scene.
poser.OpenDocument(r"C:|Users|Public|Documents|Poser 11 Content|Runtime|Libraries|Scene|Poser 11 Environments|Poser 10 Workspace.pzz")

# Select the GROUND
scene.SelectActor(scene.Actor("GROUND"))

scene.DrawAll()

Change | to backslashes.

alt.jpg

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Fri, 06 August 2021 at 10:30 AM

Thanks, I've got it set up, and I'll do as suggested and save a backup of my load profile so that I can get to it easy if I need to. I didn't even think of using my Poser 11 start page, which I still have installed along with 12.

I'm 83, my memory isn't what it used to be. I've been using Poser off and on since version 3 which I picked up at Best Buy just out of curiosity.

I used it to make and save little characters of people that I could add to architectural illustrations and restaurant interiors, it saved a lot of time. Now I just use it to do experimental animation, for the most part, since I retired nearly 20 years ago.

I now have a 34" UHD monitor, the only problem with it is that you can't get one that supports 3D stereo. I was really into making stereo videos, and I can't do that anymore. I suppose I could do it if I got a VR headset. I'll have to look into that. I figured out how to do really effective stereo movies in Poser or from video games.

I could only show it to people on my computer because no one had the equipment to view them, so I moved on to high definition.

Thanks again for the help, Poser 12 is kind of like starting over because I had my own way of doing things, and they don't work with 12! I especially miss the Simple Texture feature. I don't know why they removed that, it saved a lot of time.

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 06 August 2021 at 10:45 AM

HartyBart posted at 10:44AM Fri, 06 August 2021 - #4424687

Not sure about Poser 12, but Poser 11 ships with what you want. An old-school Poser 10 default scene. It's found under: Library | Scene | Poser 11 Environments | Poser 10 Workspace.

Yes, Poser 12 has the same 3 scenes in the same Library folder, so just as easy to find.

Butterfly Dezignz

McGrandpa ( ) posted Tue, 05 October 2021 at 11:03 PM

Good Job Miss B!   *THERE'S* your chocolate!   ;o)

My 66th Birthday PC Build (July 1, 2020) :  named BadMoonRYZEN!, W10Pro x64, Octal Core RYZEN7 X3700 4.05 GHz, 64GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce RTX 3060 - 12GB GDDR6, PP2014, PP 11, P12, PS-CS4 Extended & Vue 2024.

McG.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 06 October 2021 at 9:47 AM
McGrandpa posted at 11:03 PM Tue, 5 October 2021 - #4428582

Beware old men handing out candy, girlie! :)

Y-Phil ( ) posted Wed, 06 October 2021 at 1:43 PM
EClark1894 posted at 9:47 AM Wed, 6 October 2021 - #4428587

McGrandpa posted at 11:03 PM Tue, 5 October 2021 - #4428582

Beware old men handing out candy, girlie! :)

JeRRmomawUWReWIe7ECEum63kx5waUZll1JNfKL7.gif

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.