Thu, Oct 3, 2:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 4:44 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: why Poser 12 sometimes requires internet to launch?

maur_2005 ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2021 at 8:27 AM · edited Sat, 28 September 2024 at 2:39 AM

I have been using Poser 12 for a while with no problems, but today I had no internet connection and when I ran Poser 12 I got a message saying "No internet connection, unable check the license" or something like that. Because of that problem I could not use Poser all day, until my internet connection came back Poser 12 worked normally again.

But I'm afraid this will happen again, because I often travel to places where I don't have internet connection.

If Poser 12 requires an internet connection to get started it's really a problem for me.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2021 at 8:47 AM

Poser phones home periodically, and if it's blocked for some reason, it will eventually stop working. This is supposedly an anti-piracy measure. I suspect they want you to have Poser connected to the web so they can sell you stuff from RMP through Poser.

A lot of people are very unhappy with this "feature." If you contact support, they may be able to extend the period between check-ins, but so far as I know, there is no longer any way to suspend this license check.

adp001 ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2021 at 12:13 PM

I have a vacation home here in Germany. In an area where there was a violent storm with enormous flooding the other day. My apartment is thankfully well away from the directly affected area. Nevertheless, we have almost no Internet here at the moment. And not reliable at all. For weeks now. The telephone company is doing its best, but that doesn't really help the people affected when they are dependent on Internet access.

Here in Germany, a permanent Internet outage is actually very rare. At any rate, I can't remember it ever happening in this way before.

Actually, I had almost decided to buy Poser 12 after all and run it on its own machine (despite security concerns regarding the network). The flooding and the Internet situation that went along with it set my decision back to zero.

I don't let a software I paid good money for tell me when I can use it.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2021 at 2:10 PM
Online Now!

Bondware should do the same as a few other companies: upon customer's demand: a dongle

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2021 at 2:23 PM

A dongle would be sweet if you have the physical space for it on your computer and would not require replacement if a new Poser version is released.

adp001 ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2021 at 2:44 PM · edited Wed, 04 August 2021 at 2:45 PM

A dongle would be sweet! I would buy Poser 12 the same day the dongle would be announced. I would also be happy if the dongle had to be connected to the Internet every few months.

And if a replacement would be required for new versions (but not with each update), this would be fine for me.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2021 at 8:19 PM

randym77 posted at 8:17PM Tue, 10 August 2021 - #4424506

Poser phones home periodically, and if it's blocked for some reason, it will eventually stop working. This is supposedly an anti-piracy measure. I suspect they want you to have Poser connected to the web so they can sell you stuff from RMP through Poser.

A lot of people are very unhappy with this "feature." If you contact support, they may be able to extend the period between check-ins, but so far as I know, there is no longer any way to suspend this license check.

They will. I contacted Support because I was on the edge of losing my internet a awhile back. Poser extended it for me for about three or six months.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2021 at 8:43 AM

randym77 posted at 8:42AM Fri, 20 August 2021 - #4424506

Thanks for warning me about this.

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2021 at 1:27 PM

Anthony Appleyard posted at 1:26PM Fri, 20 August 2021 - #4425713

I think the same is now true of Poser 11. Something to keep in mind if you have an older version of Poser. Might want to keep it around, just in case, even if you upgrade.

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 20 August 2021 at 8:31 PM

randym77 posted at 8:29PM Fri, 20 August 2021 - #4425723

Anthony Appleyard posted at 1:26PM Fri, 20 August 2021 - #4425713

I think the same is now true of Poser 11. Something to keep in mind if you have an older version of Poser. Might want to keep it around, just in case, even if you upgrade.

The same is true for all versions after, and including, Game Dev anything before will not phone home and thus should not be blocked.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.