Thu, Oct 3, 2:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: A long-term fault with rendering scuba set corrugated breathing tubes

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2021 at 11:15 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 12:21 PM

03QN3tbPbKisev9R88Te97RE2aPueh9edw4NndHP.jpg

In his aqualung's breathing tubes, there are 8 equal corrugations in each Poser jointed part, and all joints between polygons are welded. Each breathing tube is an IK-chain set to ON, and has the curve property. As easily seen, the corrugation valleys which are at the boundaries between jointed parts, render wrongly. This fault has plagued my scuba diving rendering from Poser 3 times all the way up to my current Poser 11. The same fault happens with displaying.I suspect that this fault happens by Poser unwelding the polygon faces at all joints between Poser jointed parts, and then rewelding them, even where they were not welded before. Has this fault been cured in Poser 12? If not, will it be cured in Poser 13? Other users have complained about Poser rendering faults at the lines where two jointed parts meet..

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2021 at 11:24 AM

UAIoXA68DCC91K91DRq2kIg1oVJ3uSa36BXiP1Lg.jpg

Same image but showing polygon boundaries.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2021 at 11:32 AM · edited Sat, 04 December 2021 at 11:33 AM

Correction to the message above:-

In his aqualung's breathing tubes, there are 8 equal corrugations in each Poser jointed part, and all joints between polygons are welded. Each breathing tube is an IK-chain set to ON, and has the curve property. As easily seen, the corrugation valleys which are at the boundaries between jointed parts, render wrongly. This fault has plagued my scuba diving rendering from Poser 3 times all the way up to my current Poser 11. The same fault happens with displaying. I suspect that this fault happens by Poser unwelding the polygon faces at all joints between Poser jointed parts, and then working out how to smooth the polygon faces for rendering, and then rewelding the polygon faces at the joints (even where they were not welded before). Has this fault been cured in Poser 12? If not, will it be cured in Poser 13? Other users have complained about Poser rendering faults at the lines where two jointed parts meet..

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2021 at 3:16 PM · edited Sat, 04 December 2021 at 3:17 PM
Have you tried adding edge loops?

JoePublic ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2021 at 4:23 PM · edited Sat, 04 December 2021 at 4:23 PM

Hi Anthony, I did a little test whipping up a corrugated tube in Wings3D:

ba6b3VzZ200mR5miYzb0lc3uJEgGvFFDyd9tC4sP.JPG

The tube has four parts/bones.

Did a very simple rig in PP-2014, but I can see no rendering errors where the bones connect:

ttTpYhUP2uKBfXqHAL8KuKRAxJjDkGntS60Ej5ky.JPG

No problems in preview, either.

LLJtJ8p76Z0la1hiM6SxBcycY7jnAavRIwfoqQBc.JPG

Could it be you didn't delete the "cap" facets where the bodyparts connect when you modelled the tube?

This usually gives a welding error where two bones / bodyparts connect:

Cu19BqPEspNDocCFd8ZKpH3SZKd6I8OOEUjFMRoC.JPG

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 2021 at 8:40 PM

That's a good point JoePublic. Is Poser respecting those edges set to hard? OT but just curious.

JoePublic ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 2021 at 5:52 AM

primorge posted at 8:40 PM Sat, 4 December 2021 - #4431268

That's a good point JoePublic. Is Poser respecting those edges set to hard? OT but just curious.

At least in Wings3D, yes, Poser does respect the hard edges.

I try to be as "minimalistic" as possible with my modelling, so I use them all the time.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 2021 at 8:29 AM · edited Sun, 05 December 2021 at 8:33 AM

primorge posted at 3:16 PM Sat, 4 December 2021 - #4431258

> Have you tried adding edge loops?
Sorry, but please what are edge loops?

To JoePublic :: There are no cap facets on the ends of the jointed segments of the breathing tube.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 2021 at 9:06 AM

primorge posted at 3:16 PM Sat, 4 December 2021 - #4431258

> Have you tried adding edge loops?
Sorry, but please what are edge loops?

To JoePublic :: There are no cap facets on the ends of the jointed segments of the breathing tube.

Poser seems to render each jointed segment of the breathing tube as if that segment was unwelded ftom the segments that it is jointed to.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 2021 at 9:09 AM · edited Sun, 05 December 2021 at 9:09 AM

Note that in this render, the breathing tube is an IK-chain, and all its parts have the Curve property.

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 2021 at 7:47 PM

I've seen that sort of problem when a morph has pulled the weld-seam geometries of two actors apart.  I would guess that the Curve setting is creating the problem somehow, effectively pulling the edges apart as it applies the curving effect.

I assume you've tested this with Curve deactivated and/or IK turned off.  Does the problem continue when those settings are changed?

What happens if you switch the figure skinning method from Traditional to Unimesh?  What if you apply subdivision?

The order of channels in the cr2 can sometimes create odd joint effects.  If you try moving the Curve channel listings around in the Channels section, that might have some effect.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.