Sun, Oct 6, 6:53 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Major bug-Parameter Dials

T_the_T ( ) posted Sat, 03 December 2022 at 11:53 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 4:44 AM

Hi,

I have approached this subject several times over the  years. Have communicated with SM, and posersoftware support many times. I won't bother with them any more -it's a waste of my time.

However the bug just seems to get worse and more frequent.

The parameter dials, freeze in the pose room (and usually the rest as well) -the issue seems to be in the UI, which randomly changes from my selected object/parameter into another object/parameter, often tweaking the parameter I was adjusting into warped extremes. (the mouse seems to get stuck, and won't 'let go' so if I move it the parameters go whacko)

But the thing that seems to be related, is after just a moment of working on the parameter, the dials switch to main camera and then freeze. Even if I have an object or parameter selected - as you can see in the screenshot. Sometimes  can go into the material room, fiddle around, and the dials come back, but usually I have to shut down poser and restart.1nXFus0fi9d4hvub0ofhb2t665nnUIMqXsvTv0oi.pngI am at a loss. Any ideas folks? Thanks

T_the_T ( ) posted Sat, 03 December 2022 at 11:55 AM

I use poser 11 and mac os High Sierra (do not offer an OS 'upgrade' as a solution, that is not an option for me right now)

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 03 December 2022 at 1:18 PM
Site Admin

Have you tried a different mouse? I don't mean to sound flippant but I haven't had problems like those except when my last mouse was failing

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

T_the_T ( ) posted Sat, 03 December 2022 at 1:44 PM
RedPhantom posted at 1:18 PM Sat, 3 December 2022 - #4450860

Have you tried a different mouse? I don't mean to sound flippant but I haven't had problems like those except when my last mouse was failing

I expect many of this. I recognize this as a viable first step. But its not the mouse. I have had several since this problem began. I had thought it my machine at one point, but since replaced that and still same problems. It seems (after years of guessing and attempting to diagnose) to be some kind of memory glitch - it's like poser can't find the memory or something. 
Thanks.

Richard60 ( ) posted Sat, 03 December 2022 at 8:50 PM

There is the possibility that you may have another layer in your scene.  If you have another layer (such as if you used walk designer) then the dials can skyrocket if the dial is on both layers.  

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

willyb53 ( ) posted Sat, 03 December 2022 at 10:00 PM

The only time I have had random freezes is when I had auto-save on.  Otherwise have never experienced this in any version of Poser 11

Bill

People that know everything by definition can not learn anything

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 04 December 2022 at 4:30 AM

Windows user here and I learned long ago that if you want precise control over parameters, click on the dial to activate, then type in the value.  Using the mouse to turn the dials is an exercise in frustration at best.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

T_the_T ( ) posted Sun, 04 December 2022 at 4:13 PM
Richard60 posted at 8:50 PM Sat, 3 December 2022 - #4450887

There is the possibility that you may have another layer in your scene.  If you have another layer (such as if you used walk designer) then the dials can skyrocket if the dial is on both layers.  

This idea has been explored, for other reasons, but the parameter problem (and in the case of animation layers, the animation palette) remains.
Tnanks.

T_the_T ( ) posted Sun, 04 December 2022 at 4:17 PM

willyb53 posted at 10:00 PM Sat, 3 December 2022 - #4450891

The only time I have had random freezes is when I had auto-save on.  Otherwise have never experienced this in any version of Poser 11

Bill

I recently discovered that feature, and did not use it very long. lol. But the parameter dials freeze with no particular consistency, no matter what. Turning the auto save  off saved memory, and removed sluggish behavior, but no effect on the dials freeze.

T_the_T ( ) posted Sun, 04 December 2022 at 4:19 PM
SamTherapy posted at 4:30 AM Sun, 4 December 2022 - #4450903

Windows user here and I learned long ago that if you want precise control over parameters, click on the dial to activate, then type in the value.  Using the mouse to turn the dials is an exercise in frustration at best.

When the dials freeze, the dial values are also frozen. Can you access the values with a keystroke?

emjay247 ( ) posted Sun, 04 December 2022 at 4:38 PM

I have experienced the same thing many times over the past two years on Mac OS, usually when working on a large file for a long time. Saving the file and quit/reopen Poser sorts it out. What I have been experiencing effects the whole parameters palette were a user can not select different parts of a figure or actor. I have had a similar experience with the memory dots and work spaces. They become unresponsive and a user needs to quit and reopen Poser. The issue has been present on 11.3 and 11.2 for Mac. 

T_the_T ( ) posted Sun, 04 December 2022 at 6:44 PM · edited Sun, 04 December 2022 at 6:45 PM

emjay247 posted at 4:38 PM Sun, 4 December 2022 - #4450943

I have experienced the same thing many times over the past two years on Mac OS, usually when working on a large file for a long time. Saving the file and quit/reopen Poser sorts it out. What I have been experiencing effects the whole parameters palette were a user can not select different parts of a figure or actor. I have had a similar experience with the memory dots and work spaces. They become unresponsive and a user needs to quit and reopen Poser. The issue has been present on 11.3 and 11.2 for Mac. 

This is getting close to my issue. But the size of scene/file doesn't seem to matter, and the timing of it is very random. Like I can work on a scene for some time, with no problems, but then the same scene freezes after opening within a handful of actions. I also had this problem -but not as bad- with Poser 2014 game dev.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2022 at 4:57 AM
T_the_T posted at 4:19 PM Sun, 4 December 2022 - #4450942
SamTherapy posted at 4:30 AM Sun, 4 December 2022 - #4450903

When the dials freeze, the dial values are also frozen. Can you access the values with a keystroke?
Never experienced a total freeze, sorry.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2022 at 9:23 AM · edited Mon, 05 December 2022 at 9:24 AM

Windows user here, former mac user. I've never encountered the problem you describe. If you want to force refresh a parm palette, click the properties tab and then switch back to the parameters tab. You can also set numeric values for a parameter by accessing that dial's settings dialogue, double clicking the dial or clicking the white arrow to the right of the parm will let you access the settings...

QmuKKCrCeL8ybbkECDrTlIBVnOyTFXSuc9dAt8cY.png

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2022 at 9:34 AM

That response may be fine but the OP is experiencing a total, inaccessible lockdown of the Parameter panel.  As mentioned, it may "unfreeze" when changing rooms but inevitably Poser needs to be forcibly rebooted.

T_the_T ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2022 at 10:41 AM · edited Mon, 05 December 2022 at 10:44 AM
primorge posted at 9:23 AM Mon, 5 December 2022 - #4450977

Windows user here, former mac user. I've never encountered the problem you describe. If you want to force refresh a parm palette, click the properties tab and then switch back to the parameters tab. You can also set numeric values for a parameter by accessing that dial's settings dialogue, double clicking the dial or clicking the white arrow to the right of the parm will let you access the settings...

The only solution has ever been to reboot. Changing model/parameter selection in the properties tab, will change that, but, using my first screenshot for example, what often happens to my UI is that the parameters object menu switches to main camera (dials and settings still frozen) and even if I change to another selection, the camera dials remain. Still frozen. And as I previously posted, when the freeze happens, the settings pane will not open. It's like I am clicking on a static image rather than a user interface. Rebooting every minute or so gets a bit frustrating. It's a good thing I do this as a hobby and not for work. 
Thanks

T_the_T ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2022 at 11:18 AM
hborre posted at 9:34 AM Mon, 5 December 2022 - #4450978

That response may be fine but the OP is experiencing a total, inaccessible lockdown of the Parameter panel.  As mentioned, it may "unfreeze" when changing rooms but inevitably Poser needs to be forcibly rebooted.

Yes. The properties and parameters tabs can be changed back and forth, but the dials and settings once frozen (except the 'sometimes' room switch) stay frozen.

T_the_T ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2022 at 11:26 AM

SamTherapy caused an intriguing thought; Is there a keystroke that can access the parameter dial without using the mouse? You know like the tab key can navigate tabs/fields/menus?

FYI - I stopped trying to use the mouse to move (click and drag) parameters and objects around, back when I was using Poser 4. Up until very recently I kept an old Poser 7 app, because it didn't ever have these problems. In fact, it occurs to me that this may be a 64 bit related issue, as opposed to 32 bit.

primorge ( ) posted Mon, 05 December 2022 at 12:18 PM

T_the_T posted at 11:26 AM Mon, 5 December 2022 - #4450988

SamTherapy caused an intriguing thought; Is there a keystroke that can access the parameter dial without using the mouse? You know like the tab key can navigate tabs/fields/menus?

FYI - I stopped trying to use the mouse to move (click and drag) parameters and objects around, back when I was using Poser 4. Up until very recently I kept an old Poser 7 app, because it didn't ever have these problems. In fact, it occurs to me that this may be a 64 bit related issue, as opposed to 32 bit.

No keystrokes for this AFAIK, perhaps a small python script can do such a thing but I suppose it would need a simple input interface. I'm not very versed in python scripting so it might be a more complex script than I'm hinting at, but there are functions to access parm values, it might be child's play for someone on the Poser python forum... in any case sounds like a crippling bug that I'd never be able to tolerate, it would make Poser basically unusable.

dadt ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2022 at 4:14 AM

I've had this problem for a while and found that if I minimise Poser then bring it back it works normally.

T_the_T ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2022 at 10:42 AM · edited Tue, 06 December 2022 at 10:43 AM

primorge posted at 12:18 PM Mon, 5 December 2022 - #4450991

T_the_T posted at 11:26 AM Mon, 5 December 2022 - #4450988

\

No keystrokes for this AFAIK, perhaps a small python script can do such a thing but I suppose it would need a simple input interface. I'm not very versed in python scripting so it might be a more complex script than I'm hinting at, but there are functions to access parm values, it might be child's play for someone on the Poser python forum... in any case sounds like a crippling bug that I'd never be able to tolerate, it would make Poser basically unusable.

Pretty much. For me this has been happening since I first upgraded to P Pro 2014. Because of it, I did a major upgrade on my OS and some hardware, thinking that was the problem, but the problem only got worse. And poser 11 is the worst of all. I have been trying to find an alternative that is similar enough to the UI that I don't have to the equivalent of a college course learning curve to use it. But nothing out there comes close except D_z studio, and that has it's own set of problems. (why bother upgrading to P 12 if the older issues are not acknowledged or addressed by 'support'?)

I have content that has been generated over a decade, that becomes practically useless (not to mention what I have learned over the years) without it. We won't get into my opinions of forced obsolescence, backwards incompatibility, and the scam of upgrades.... sigh.

So this probably represents the brick wall of this effort to fix the problem.

Thanks everyone. I will keep monitoring just in case someone has a solution,

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2022 at 11:57 AM
Site Admin

Where Poser 12 did upgrade the python version and it seems like there might be some of that in the program ( I may be wrong. I don't know squat about programing) you might look into the trial of it. If that doesn't have the problems, it might be worth the cost, depending on the size of your pocketbook.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

phil_lawson ( ) posted Tue, 06 December 2022 at 4:30 PM

I know it may not help and its only a thought because I'm still on P10. I'm on Windows 11 now, a move I made when Apple moved to 64 bit only. When I was using my Mac I did have a similar problem with Poser dials freezing when I tried to move them with the mouse and I traced it back to the Magic Mouse I was trying to use. I think it was something to do with the Bluetooth connection. I had no problems at all once I went to a wired mouse. If memory serves I got myself a Razer Taipan and installed the Razer Synapse software. I never tried a wireless mouse. 

Maybe its something to try. 

T_the_T ( ) posted Wed, 07 December 2022 at 12:21 PM
phil_lawson posted at 4:30 PM Tue, 6 December 2022 - #4451055

I know it may not help and its only a thought because I'm still on P10. I'm on Windows 11 now, a move I made when Apple moved to 64 bit only. When I was using my Mac I did have a similar problem with Poser dials freezing when I tried to move them with the mouse and I traced it back to the Magic Mouse I was trying to use. I think it was something to do with the Bluetooth connection. I had no problems at all once I went to a wired mouse. If memory serves I got myself a Razer Taipan and installed the Razer Synapse software. I never tried a wireless mouse. 

Maybe its something to try. 

I haven't used a wired mouse in years. I will make a note to try that if I can find one laying around.... Thanks.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Wed, 07 December 2022 at 1:41 PM · edited Wed, 07 December 2022 at 1:44 PM

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/magnify-the-mouse-pointer-mchlp2920/10.13/mac/10.13

"To make the pointer larger temporarily, quickly move your finger on the trackpad or quickly move the mouse. To turn this feature off, deselect “Shake mouse pointer to locate” in the Display pane of Accessibility preferences."

Try to disable that feature, you can find your pointer, you don't need it to become larger just so you can see it lol... also see if you can restore your system fonts to default size 100%. Disable all the cool and useless animated theme features in your OS. Make it as basic as possible.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Wed, 07 December 2022 at 2:05 PM · edited Wed, 07 December 2022 at 2:09 PM

Don't change too many settings at once, change one setting... try your Poser... go to the next setting you want to change... try your Poser again... and so on... make note of everything you changed so you can set them back the way they were if you need to do so later. I usually just snap a photo of the settings panel with my phone before I start changing anything.

T_the_T ( ) posted Wed, 07 December 2022 at 2:26 PM
dadt posted at 4:14 AM Tue, 6 December 2022 - #4451026

I've had this problem for a while and found that if I minimise Poser then bring it back it works normally.

No effect. Apparently not the same. Thanks

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Wed, 07 December 2022 at 2:47 PM · edited Wed, 07 December 2022 at 2:49 PM
T_the_T posted at 2:26 PM Wed, 7 December 2022 - #4451154
dadt posted at 4:14 AM Tue, 6 December 2022 - #4451026

No effect. Apparently not the same. Thanks
See... that might be your problem, animated menus when you minimize and restore apps.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Wed, 07 December 2022 at 2:52 PM · edited Wed, 07 December 2022 at 2:53 PM

I don't even have a Mac lol I bet you'll find out what the issue is today, do you feel lucky? Yeah, me neither 😄

T_the_T ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2022 at 12:05 PM
TwiztidKidd posted at 2:52 PM Wed, 7 December 2022 - #4451157

I don't even have a Mac lol I bet you'll find out what the issue is today, do you feel lucky? Yeah, me neither 😄

actually, maybe too soon to tell, but after all this time I may have found a fix... as I also have an issue with the the renderer (as in unless I can do an area render first, it just fails) I found that when the dials freeze, if I do a render, they come back. Tried several times. If it continues to work, I will post it.

T_the_T ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2022 at 12:07 PM

TwiztidKidd posted at 2:05 PM Wed, 7 December 2022 - #4451148

Don't change too many settings at once, change one setting... try your Poser... go to the next setting you want to change... try your Poser again... and so on... make note of everything you changed so you can set them back the way they were if you need to do so later. I usually just snap a photo of the settings panel with my phone before I start changing anything.

I like screenshots, they have helped me with settings a lot.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Thu, 08 December 2022 at 2:18 PM · edited Thu, 08 December 2022 at 2:25 PM

Glad to hear your making progress... have you tried to dock, undock, resize the window with the dials, it could be because it's not wide enough (not tall enough?)... make it a bit wider... make it super extra wide lol... does it overlap another window? Change the layout a bit. You will eventually figure out what's causing this... it's inevitable lol

phil_lawson ( ) posted Fri, 09 December 2022 at 4:12 AM

I think you've probably already looked into these options but just in case you've missed them have you checked them out? Mine's P10 so it may look different but I find that if I've got a large file open the dials can become very sluggish. I've changed from Full to Fast and it looks awful when moving things but it does respond much quicker.

CDc2Rkmk6g5f8MNcrKOn3xZl41yTIAWvQIeUYG1S.jpg

Might give you some more things to tick off that you've tried.

T_the_T ( ) posted Fri, 09 December 2022 at 5:38 PM

Eureka!

After literally years of frustration, I finally found a fix! I have confirmed with 100% consistency (so far) that if I do a very small 'area render' it resets the UI -not values, but function. The only drawback are the renders that I have to then delete (or empty the cache). But it's still a whole lot better than having to restart every minute or so.

Well, OK, It doesn't actually 'fix' the problem, but it's a majorly useful workaround.

However, if anyone reading this thread can deduce the culprit in the glitch, I'm still down for a solution. (other than upgrade. I have upgrade fatigue)

Thanks all.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.