Tue, Oct 1, 5:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / New Poser Users Help

Welcome to the New Poser Users Help Forum

Forum Moderators: Anim8dtoon, RedPhantom, Staff

New Poser Users Help F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 9:30 am)

New to Poser? Ask questions here for expert help!

Subject: Not New But Senile

Rhyull ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2023 at 5:27 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 5:44 PM

Hi

Coming back to Poser after maybe 5 years and trying to install. I have various versions up to V12 but I also have V14 service releases. What I can't find is the actual V14 program. I installed V12 but the V14 SRs don't find it to upgrade.

Ideas?

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2023 at 7:02 PM · edited Tue, 10 January 2023 at 7:03 PM

There isn't a Poser 14.  They are currently working on Poser 13, which they're expecting to be released some time during the first quarter of 2023.

Does the service releases you have happen to mention PoserPro 2014?  That's an old version of Poser from a number of years ago, before Bondware became the owners of Poser.  I believe, but could be wrong, that would be the equivalent to Poser 10.  They named the versions differently back then, because there were two versions, the PP 2014 being the Pro version, and Poser 10, the non-Pro version of Poser.

Hope that helps.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Y-Phil ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2023 at 7:17 AM

Not new and... not senile 15pSeUwiclrcgi1oKCWCVcN4ApvbxswxcjnVh3Bx.png

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

Rhyull ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2023 at 7:38 AM

Thanks and yes it's poser pro so I'll go ahead and assume 2012 is the latest version

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2023 at 9:54 AM · edited Wed, 11 January 2023 at 9:57 AM

Poser Pro 2012 is from the year 2011.

Let's clear this up: There are several different "lines" of Poser software. There's plain old "Poser", there's the enhanced series called "Poser Pro", and there's the stripped-down "Poser Debut".

Updates to Poser and Poser Pro usually appeared together with similar software at the core of both.

In "modern" times the Poser versions were simple sequential numbers, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.

In those same times the Poser Pro versions were years, 2010, 2012, 2014.

When we see you say "V14" we realize you are confusing the two products. They are named differently. The only thing with a "14" in it is Poser Pro 2014. Poser Pro 2012 is before that. Poser Pro 2012 corresponds with Poser 9.

The current version of regular Poser is 12. Not 2012.

Note there are other complications like 11.1, 11.2. And also "Game Dev" which nobody ever needs to remember.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2023 at 9:54 AM

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Rhyull ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2023 at 10:59 AM

bagginsbill posted at 9:54 AM Wed, 11 January 2023 - #4453642

Let's clear this up: There are several different "lines" of Poser software. There's plain old "Poser", there's the enhanced series called "Poser Pro", and there's the stripped-down "Poser Debut".

Updates to Poser and Poser Pro usually appeared together with similar software at the core of both.

In "modern" times the Poser versions were simple sequential numbers, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.

In those same times the Poser Pro versions were years, 2010, 2012, 2014.

When we see you say "V14" we realize you are confusing the two products. They are named differently. The only thing with a "14" in it is Poser Pro 2014. Poser Pro 2012 is before that. Poser Pro 2012 corresponds with Poser 9.

The current version of regular Poser is 12. Not 2012.

Note there are other complications like 11.1, 11.2. And also "Game Dev" which nobody ever needs to remember.

Getting confused again.

I have Poser 7, 8 and something called 9ESD

Also Poser Pro 2010, 2012, 2014 but I don't have an install for 2014, just SRs

So what shuld I install or do I need a download? And thanks for the replies.

Rhyull ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2023 at 11:03 AM
bagginsbill posted at 9:54 AM Wed, 11 January 2023 - #4453643

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poser_(software)

Seems like there should be an actual pro 2014 release somewhere?

Rhyull ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2023 at 11:10 AM

Just thinking I should buy Poser 11 if that's the latest version?

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2023 at 11:29 AM
Online Now!

The latest version is Poser 12, not 11.

Poser 13 will come out this year.

If you don't have an actual install for Poser 2014, you may not have the software unless you find your proof of purchase email or hard disks?

I would suggest to get the latest version to take advantage of the new features:

Posersoftware dot com should have them, or the store on this site.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2023 at 11:35 AM
Site Admin

Poser 12 is the latest version. If you bought Poser 2014 game dev, you should be eligible for a free upgrade to Poser 11.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

HartyBart ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2023 at 6:08 PM · edited Wed, 11 January 2023 at 6:10 PM

Poser 11 can currently be had for $52 on Renderosity. There is no longer a 'Pro' and 'Standard' version, just one version. If you don't especially need something that was in Poser Pro 2014 (e.g. integration with Smith Micro's Motionartist motion-comics production software, or some older Python script) then Poser 11 will be best and cheapest and probably save you a lot of hassle. Unlike Poser 12, Poser 11 will enable you to use nearly all your old Python scripts (with a little help from the free AVfix) and can also do easy DSON imports of Genesis 1 and 2 from Daz Studio (if you can get the DSON installers).

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2023 at 9:06 PM
Online Now!

DSON is completely unavailable and done with as far as DAZ is concerned.  It was capable of getting up to Genesis 8 into Poser 11 with a little manipulation.  But this is not the topic at hand.

Rhyull ( ) posted Thu, 12 January 2023 at 6:30 PM

Thanks for all the help and advice. Sorry to be slow replying.

I do have the serials for PP2012-2014 upgrade but currently PP 2012 is crashing all the time so I uninstalled it and don't want to put the time into messing about with it.

At the time I went for the pro version because it was 64 bit, not for any whizzy extra features. I'm a simple user so I don't need much. Poser 12 is a bit expensive for my current available free time but poser 11 sounds like a goer as long as it handles my runtimes since I have almost 300 gig of them.

Any problems in that area and is Poser 11 64 bit?

Thanks in advance

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 12 January 2023 at 6:50 PM
Online Now!

P11 is 64-bits, not a problem there.  You can link your existing runtime folders to P11, no problems there either.  If you do venture into Superfly rendering, some of the older models may not render as you would expect.  You will need to sharpen your Material Room skills if any.  

Rhyull ( ) posted Fri, 13 January 2023 at 10:48 AM

Thanks once again. I think the time has come to move from theory to action so I'll get hold of P11 and see what I can do with it.

HartyBart ( ) posted Fri, 13 January 2023 at 8:42 PM

Poser 11 has no problem with large multi-decade content runtimes (known to handle 335Gb). Though it may take a while to fully index and thumbnail, after a fresh install. You'll see the library's yellow disc icon pulsing, which means it's still indexing.

If you still have the third-party PZDB library installer and an old licence, you should also be able to get that registered - the licence server is still active though there are no longer any new sales. Another good library option would be the Adobe AIR External Library from Poser 2014 (this still works to drag-drop to Poser 11). To get that, just install Poser 2014 alongside Poser 11. They co-exist happily.

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

Rhyull ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2023 at 6:19 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll see how I get on :)

Joe@HFG ( ) posted Sun, 15 January 2023 at 11:26 AM · edited Sun, 15 January 2023 at 11:27 AM

Applause

Had to applaud this title.
I resemble this remark. LOL!!!

mo·nop·o·ly  [muh-nop-uh-lee]
noun, plural mo·nop·o·lies.
1. exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market,
or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices

terry0 ( ) posted Sat, 11 March 2023 at 1:17 AM
bagginsbill posted at 9:54 AM Wed, 11 January 2023 - #4453642

lol

Thanks for clearing that up. I was twixt and between and I know I lost a drive somewhere too.

But, got my serial from an old email, lost that too and it only lives on an old iPhone very tenuously at that.

So, after a quick upgrade I am now at Poser 12 (actual) and ready for 13 when it shows.

Yay me.

Then off to my account orders, thank you Renderosity, 5.7 gigs of content, remember that lost drive, last purchase 2018. Oh, dear. 

I can barely get Andy in the setting much less make that the default for practice. 

I've already made peace with the loss of nifty stuff done and the stuff from that other program that free one. Senile, no, just sometimes lose words.

One question, got a dir of downloaded zip files now, don't have the utilities that I used to use (poorly) and never could figure out how to manipulate the runtimes and such much less how to get them where I could call them from the file thing, sometimes I had thumbnails and sometimes not. So square pegs went into round holes. Also 4 year hiatus.

Is that something doable or is there a new third party loader?

Thanks in advance.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sun, 12 March 2023 at 9:26 AM · edited Sun, 12 March 2023 at 9:28 AM
terry0 posted at 1:17 AM Sat, 11 March 2023 - #4458098

One question, got a dir of downloaded zip files now, don't have the utilities that I used to use (poorly) and never could figure out how to manipulate the runtimes and such much less how to get them where I could call them from the file thing, sometimes I had thumbnails and sometimes not. So square pegs went into round holes. Also 4 year hiatus.

Is that something doable or is there a new third party loader?

Thanks in advance.

You have quite a few options to install from zip:

* items bought on Rendo, for exemple, can installed directly:

V48KeLoLO3HNX0AQShnUm0Y4vcTV2hNX69uadSaN.png

* other zips can be installed from the function lying under "File > Install from Zip"

But, and it's my personal preference, I prefer to install manually, e.g. all purchased materials are stored in a sub-folder depending on the vendor of the concerned product 

Exemple with clothes:

a3s7RZBBpof4JIqSHtdmqmpxhxlcvKMmBZwiK79R.png

That way, I can keep my items organized. I used to use the default folders up to poser7, resulting in a poser7 runtime that became a nightmare to navigate through H5A3xiTl1d4gaLaE2LMW6QuM4WQDyzpfYxQ9ehzH.gif
The principle is easy: just respect poser's runtime structure:

cHeCAbz6aOZVLuYsq4Jfl4sORd1XwiDNGKgXnt5j.png

That way, you may keep your items organized by runtimes, each devoted to a specific domain.
As you may know, ZIP exists since such a long time that all operating systems can open them, but if you're looking for a cool tool under windows, there's the free 7zip

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

SpaceDuke ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2023 at 8:20 PM

Hi, so am I .. not new but senile ;-) .. I don't even remember which Poser Version it was over 20 years ago when I used Poser for the last time. It could have been Curios Labs Poser v.5 maybe. Now I have plenty of time and fresh ideas. I think of buying Poser13 and want to use some of the wonderful content again that I bought from DAZ3D at that time. Do these old Installation Exe files still work with Poser13? Does the runtime folder still have the same structure? Since the program has grown up a lot, I have to learn Poser all over again. I will handle that but I want to make sure that I can still use the good old stuff. Thank you ... and it is absolutely fantastic that the Renderosity Community has survived all these years and changes :-)

Rhia474 ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2023 at 9:57 PM
Online Now!

DAZ exes don't work any more but you can re-download them in a zip from same site; that's what I did with a few. Old runtimes work fine with connecting to P13 (I have a few from back Poser 7 and up). Gen 3 and 4 DAZ figures and their content work just fine, matierals need adjusting heavily. Luckily there are some scripts around that make that easier.

P13 comes with wonderful new content supplied that will get you started, actually.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 11 May 2023 at 11:06 PM
Online Now!

The DAZ exes do work, you need to set their compatibility to an earlier Window version.  

NikKelly ( ) posted Fri, 12 May 2023 at 8:48 AM

May I suggest you keep your core Poser run-time 'sparse', use the external library facility to link in whatever unique stuff you need for a specific project ??

Link to folders *holding* those external runtime, lest Poser be utterly confuddled. To sanitise really classic stuff, I load empty runtime folder tree into new 'holding' folder, move whatever where...

Also simplifies porting / organising 'other' mesh / model formats, as easy to keep Zip/Rar, thumbnails / comments / scaling info / renders etc together...

I've 3~~5 TB of 'stuff', spread across three data-drives. Ranges from low-poly, static, clad-mannequin 3DS figures, mostly 'Medieval-ish', from my 'Classic FloorPlan' days via a zoo of rDNA etc freebies for P3+P4, many XPS etc figures ported via FBX, sundry XPS and PMX props / stages / scenes exported to OBJ+MTL, to the latest 'Salt Lake' freebies...

May your back-ups be current...

SpaceDuke ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2023 at 8:33 PM

Setting the compatibility for the exe files to an older Windows version does work. Me happy. Thank you all for help.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.