Sun, Oct 6, 9:01 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 3:07 pm)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Let There Be Light

PeterPixyHarrison ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2023 at 2:27 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 3:14 PM

So the recent discussions in the forums got me thinking, partly about exposure and just how many people just like myself are wary to post anything as it is just going to get buried beneath a tidal wave of nothingness, which is really quite sad.

Ironically enough that little debate helped me find a few people to follow and a few people who now follow me and that's what got me thinking.

I had been a member of Renderosity for almost two years before I discovered we have a dedicated forum and gallery section dedicated to writing, which given that most of the work I share generally is story-driven, this is kind of a bizarre achievement in itself but in truth this section barely really seems to get any posts bar the odd one about contests.

Now follow me a little while I write how I thought, which is possibly a really bad idea?

Whether we admit it or not we are attention seeking whores who lust for people to look at our work?

However we don't want that kind of attention where someone is just like "Nice" oh no we lust for something far deeper than that what we lust for is the right audience who actually read our stories? No?

We lust for a niche audience who desire something more than just a mere image, they lust for dreams, content and context as in truth do we?

So if we are looking for the right audience and a way to make sure our works are seen then why not use the forum as a means to post a link to our stories? 

But not only one link, oh no, multiple links to each component so that our stories can be put in an album and then read sequentially (like a deviantart folder)

My plan is to share my upcoming work "The Promise" in this exact way,

This way I guess I can put my money where my mouth is and potentially eat my own failed idea :)

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2023 at 4:26 PM
Site Admin

I think it's an excellent idea - at the very least, the links you place in the forum might bring you a few more views, and more views increases the chances of finding another of those niche readers.

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

PeterPixyHarrison ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2023 at 11:14 PM

Wolfenshire posted at 4:26 PM Sun, 29 January 2023 - #4454888

I think it's an excellent idea - at the very least, the links you place in the forum might bring you a few more views, and more views increases the chances of finding another of those niche readers.

Truthfully for me it's more about having it in a folder where it can be read in order without any other images interrupting the flow.

Though I'm keen to see if it will actually work

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2023 at 7:30 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

I think this is an interesting idea. 

As far as having things in order, separate from the rest of your images, the gallery does have albums. I’ve started using them for my stories. They aren’t perfect. There’s no way to add existing images all at once. If you want to add older stuff you have to add them one at a time. And you can’t change the order. So assuming you uploaded the first chapter first and the last one last, because who wants to upload a story backwards, you’ll have to go to the end of the album and work backwards. 

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

PeterPixyHarrison ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2023 at 1:10 PM

RedPhantom posted at 7:30 AM Mon, 30 January 2023 - #4454924

I think this is an interesting idea. 

As far as having things in order, separate from the rest of your images, the gallery does have albums. I’ve started using them for my stories. They aren’t perfect. There’s no way to add existing images all at once. If you want to add older stuff you have to add them one at a time. And you can’t change the order. So assuming you uploaded the first chapter first and the last one last, because who wants to upload a story backwards, you’ll have to go to the end of the album and work backwards. 

Ironically enough this is where the idea came from, I use albums in here but if say I write or post a piece out of sync then I can't change the order where in the forums I can delete a post and then rework the thread to suit, so even if the pieces are out of sync they can still be read and viewed in flow.

Moreover it's a way for the idea of something that takes vastly longer than just a render or a few ai images to actually gain an audience, not just for myself but for other writers who disclosed the same reason for not posting their work as it gets buried far too quickly.

Hopefully it works and others follow suit? Maybe it fails and I look an arse? but either way it's worth trying and I'm pretty happy to be my own guinea pig.

Giana ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2023 at 3:08 PM

in terms of an album type idea, couldn't something be worked out/coded where the OP has a backroom type control that allows him/her to maybe tick radio buttons to designate the order/flow of something?

for example, i have two chapters of something. Chapter 1 is set as priority 1 via the radio button assignment for sorting; Chapter 2 is assigned the number 2 slot.

but now i've reworked, or added something to my Chapter 1 separately.  so i upload, assign it the number 2 slot, and move/assign my Chaper 2 to my 3 slot...

PeterPixyHarrison ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2023 at 3:49 PM · edited Mon, 30 January 2023 at 3:50 PM

Giana posted at 3:08 PM Mon, 30 January 2023 - #4454975

in terms of an album type idea, couldn't something be worked out/coded where the OP has a backroom type control that allows him/her to maybe tick radio buttons to designate the order/flow of something?

for example, i have two chapters of something. Chapter 1 is set as priority 1 via the radio button assignment for sorting; Chapter 2 is assigned the number 2 slot.

but now i've reworked, or added something to my Chapter 1 separately.  so i upload, assign it the number 2 slot, and move/assign my Chaper 2 to my 3 slot...

In truth I tried a few different things with various albums but as Red said above for the most part to get an album to work or flow properly in Rendo you have to post it backwards (Where on Deviantart you can just shuffle the order of parts)

In truth it's more of a test of a theory, I get that Rendo doesn't want to reduce the number of posts people can make, that is kind of a logical stance on their part, so my theory is to work around that being a fixed point and find a way to make a limited view post visible and to make a workable means rather than laying down or waiting for a break that may and probably will never come, it's finding a way to exploit a different way of thinking around a problem.

Personally it's to make Rendo work for me but beyond my own vanity it's a hope to encourage people hiding their work away to share their work knowing it will be seen by people that will appreciate it in kind.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2023 at 5:33 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

I have to admit, I am intrigued by this and look forward to seeing how it works

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2023 at 5:39 PM
Site Admin Online Now!
I also wonder if it will lend to better, more frank discussions of the writing and images. I know you can make comments in the gallery, and even make multiple ones, but it still feels more like it's for quick messages rather than full discussions. Or maybe that's just me.

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2023 at 5:42 PM
Site Admin

I've never looked at using the albums, and have no idea how to even get something in there. And mostly because, the word 'album' turns me off. I think it's a poor choice of what to call them. Words matter. Portfolio would be a better word.

PeterPixyHarrison ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2023 at 1:57 AM

RedPhantom posted at 5:33 PM Mon, 30 January 2023 - #4455005

I have to admit, I am intrigued by this and look forward to seeing how it works

I'm curious to see if it works too,

Thing is the first post within a thread is always the first post and as such if that is say the start of a short story then that first post is always the first part of said story, allowing me to put pieces into a dedicated album but also allowing me to have them run completely in order and if someone uses the thread also uninterrupted in flow.

Part of me hopes it leads to more involved conversations as I know you can post multiple comments but people seldom do that where a thread is slightly more open but at a deeper level, should it work then I hope it encourages other people to share their work, yes it will likely still get lost in the gallery but by being in here it will only get lost if someone deletes the thread.

This didn't go into the suggestion thread as it's not really a suggestion, more of a statement of intent but either way I'm going to just do it and see if it works.

PeterPixyHarrison ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2023 at 1:58 AM
Wolfenshire posted at 5:42 PM Mon, 30 January 2023 - #4455007

I've never looked at using the albums, and have no idea how to even get something in there. And mostly because, the word 'album' turns me off. I think it's a poor choice of what to call them. Words matter. Portfolio would be a better word.

Agree with you but I like the mental concept behind an album as it makes me think of sitting down beside a fire and thumbing through the past with a softened smile

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2023 at 7:23 AM · edited Tue, 31 January 2023 at 7:25 AM
Site Admin

Just had a thought. There was someone that was really into the albums. Her gallery and albums look nice. Maybe taking a look would give some ideas. I went and looked through her albums and noticed you can sort inside the album. The default is newest to oldest, but you can also sort oldest to newest, so the story chapters would show up in the correct order. So, my thought is, when you provide a link to a particular album, provide the link sorted oldest to newest. If someone follows the link, you'll be giving them your story in the correct order.

A link to her gallery: https://www.renderosity.com/users/auntietk/gallery/albums

and a sorted link to one of her albums: https://www.renderosity.com/users/auntietk/gallery/albums/1244?sort=oldest

PeterPixyHarrison ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2023 at 8:26 AM
Wolfenshire posted at 7:23 AM Tue, 31 January 2023 - #4455071

Just had a thought. There was someone that was really into the albums. Her gallery and albums look nice. Maybe taking a look would give some ideas. I went and looked through her albums and noticed you can sort inside the album. The default is newest to oldest, but you can also sort oldest to newest, so the story chapters would show up in the correct order. So, my thought is, when you provide a link to a particular album, provide the link sorted oldest to newest. If someone follows the link, you'll be giving them your story in the correct order.

A link to her gallery: https://www.renderosity.com/users/auntietk/gallery/albums

and a sorted link to one of her albums: https://www.renderosity.com/users/auntietk/gallery/albums/1244?sort=oldest

You can but if you come out of that album and then go back into it that resets to the default 'newest to oldest' and you can't save albums to appear in that way either

NikKelly ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2023 at 12:28 PM

I did not realise there was a 'literature' gallery, thought it was just about the 'art' of writing...

Rottenham ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2023 at 6:55 PM

Hmm... a writer forum. Interesting.

vikinglady ( ) posted Thu, 09 March 2023 at 1:05 AM

It's good to see a few people discovered this forum. I can remember when this was a lively section of R'sity. 

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 19 March 2023 at 7:03 PM

"...for almost two years" before...

D'uh, I didn't realise the Gallery took tales until recently, and I've been on Rendo since ~2002...

{ Is there an emoji for 'Face Palm' ?? }

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Sun, 19 March 2023 at 8:35 PM
Site Admin

The Writers Gallery is different, with a greater character count available. I believe it's 50k character count now, as well as the Writers Forum. You can post extended stories in both.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.