Mon, Sep 9, 6:48 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 12:17 am)

Subject: Thoughts on Genesis 9

bdpease ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2023 at 10:11 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 6:46 AM

I was just curious to get peoples thoughts on the new Genesis 9 character. Full disclosure - I'm rather irritated at yet another Gen change without a fully viable conversion mechanism. Thanks.

nakamuram ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2023 at 12:39 PM

I will not use G9F until DAZ fixes the bend parameters of the knee, thigh, and elbow.  In these areas G9F is a large step backwards from G8F and G3F.  Also, DAZ is trying to milk more $$$ out of us by selling things like expressions and makeup separately.

DocPhoton ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2023 at 8:57 PM

I export all figures out of DS as it is, so the Gen 9 series really is a step backwards for me as well. It adds a whole lot of extra work, doable, but so far I've not seen any really exceptional characters in 9 series to entice me frankly to go through the effort.

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2023 at 12:34 AM

I do like her, but then, I always loved the first Genesis.

I still use G8 / G8.1 too as I have so much invested in that Generation.

What I do not like with G9 is, that DAZ is selling the Makeup separately and the Core Characters come with no extra eye colours or Makeup.

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Sat, 11 February 2023 at 6:42 AM · edited Sat, 11 February 2023 at 6:43 AM

I had high hopes on G9 and been brutally disappointed. 
The only good thing I see on G9 are expressions, which are finally acceptable.
Expressions used to be just horrible on DAZ figures from V4 up to G8.

Stargazey ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2023 at 4:30 AM

I really don't want, and can't afford, to invest in yet another "generation" of characters, along with all the "extras" that are needed to get the best from the figures.

nakamuram ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2023 at 12:15 PM
Stargazey posted at 4:30 AM Sun, 12 February 2023 - #4455720

I really don't want, and can't afford, to invest in yet another "generation" of characters, along with all the "extras" that are needed to get the best from the figures.

Do not worry, Stargazey.  G9 in its present state is definitely not worth it. 

bdpease ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2023 at 10:24 AM

It seems unconscionable that Daz would expect their user community to switch to another generation without any viable conversion or compatibility. I also feel bad for the content creators as this likely will affect their sales.

nakamuram ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2023 at 12:18 PM
Clothing and "flat" footwear for older generations can be used with G9 via autofit.  It works pretty well.  "Heeled" footwear is problematic.  D-Force hair can be autofit or "smart propped" to G9.  Character materials from previous generations will not work.  But why bother with G9 at all if the base character is inferior in bending at the joints to previous generations?

Timberoo ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2023 at 8:27 AM · edited Fri, 24 February 2023 at 8:27 AM

I've bought some content for G9 and tried to work with it, but I pretty much only do male characters. G9's breasts have an odd effect that occurs when the are reshaped to look like pec muscles or when flattened out to appear like an undeveloped chest. They look too sharply defined compared to the rest of the musculature in the cleavage and underbreast area, sometimes with a beveled effect. It can be compounded by the texture and normal maps, but the effect can carry through to clothes so it's definitely a shaping issue.  

I don't expect any fixes for it, female characters sell a lot more and I think G9 was made with that in mind. 

nakamuram ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2023 at 12:25 PM
Timberoo posted at 8:27 AM Fri, 24 February 2023 - #4456779

I've bought some content for G9 and tried to work with it, but I pretty much only do male characters. G9's breasts have an odd effect that occurs when the are reshaped to look like pec muscles or when flattened out to appear like an undeveloped chest. They look too sharply defined compared to the rest of the musculature in the cleavage and underbreast area, sometimes with a beveled effect. It can be compounded by the texture and normal maps, but the effect can carry through to clothes so it's definitely a shaping issue.  

I don't expect any fixes for it, female characters sell a lot more and I think G9 was made with that in mind. 

I think DAZ should have kept male and female G9 as separate characters.  I think that G9 is having joint bend problems partially due to G9's unisex design.

Timberoo ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2023 at 1:11 PM
nakamuram posted at 12:25 PM Fri, 24 February 2023 - #4456790
Timberoo posted at 8:27 AM Fri, 24 February 2023 - #4456779

I think DAZ should have kept male and female G9 as separate characters.  I think that G9 is having joint bend problems partially due to G9's unisex design.
Agreed. I don't think it was the best move. 

shedofjoy ( ) posted Fri, 24 February 2023 at 3:20 PM

A definite step backwards, shame they could have done so much with this, Soft body dynamics for one, and what was the point of push 8k textures as a selling point???? if you buy a character for G9 it wont use those textures anyway, and its up to content creators what size maps they use. to me a waste of time.

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 25 February 2023 at 9:43 AM

Soft body dynamics would be an application feature (dWobble) rather than a figure feature, the 8K maps are the detail normals which can be used with other characters too since they are very fine detail on top of the more character-specific stuff in the regular normal maps.

dbwalton ( ) posted Wed, 01 March 2023 at 8:35 PM
Timberoo posted at 1:11 PM Fri, 24 February 2023 - #4456792

nakamuram posted at 12:25 PM Fri, 24 February 2023 - #4456790

Agreed. I don't think it was the best move. 

I'm in agreement too.   Putting aside from the politics of the "gender fluid" movement, the male and female anatomy are vastly different.  Plus, it only adds to the confusion for assets meant for a male or female character.

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 4:33 AM

To get a full idea of G9, I just purchased the flagship V9 HD, in order to see if G9 is still somehow useful to me.
In fact male G9s might still be useful, but since V9 I would brand G9 for female characters a total fail.
Sausage limbs, joint bend creases resulting from a mindless mesh topology, PBR shaders that force you to crank up your exposure values. 
My DAZ wishlist has shrunk to 4 items, since everything is for G9 now. and I was still hoping for useful hair for G8. Most likeley not happening anymore.
All that's left will be for environments and tools.

nakamuram ( ) posted Thu, 02 March 2023 at 12:44 PM
Nevertrumper posted at 4:33 AM Thu, 2 March 2023 - #4457374

To get a full idea of G9, I just purchased the flagship V9 HD, in order to see if G9 is still somehow useful to me.
In fact male G9s might still be useful, but since V9 I would brand G9 for female characters a total fail.
Sausage limbs, joint bend creases resulting from a mindless mesh topology, PBR shaders that force you to crank up your exposure values. 
My DAZ wishlist has shrunk to 4 items, since everything is for G9 now. and I was still hoping for useful hair for G8. Most likeley not happening anymore.
All that's left will be for environments and tools.

Not to mention more $$$!!

prinzeugen12 ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2023 at 8:25 AM

I purchase quite a bit of G9 ...I'm sorry that I did.. G9 female does not make a very good pin-up subject .. Problems in the chest/Breast and underarms due to her being a binary figure.. I do not see any work a rounds for these problem..  Sticking with G8 for the foreseeable future.

Stargazey ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2023 at 11:10 AM

I remember the hype when Genesis (1) was first released, it never really came off, and Genesis 2 came quite soon after. I suspect that Genesis 9 will also be a bit of a "damp squib" and Genesis 10, when it comes, will go back to separate male and female figures!

Anyway, I've decided enough is enough. I'm sticking with Genesis 8 (and occasionally older figures!) for the foreseeable future, and not investing in Genesis 9 at all. I actually prefer having different male and female base figures and just don't think there are enough advantages of G9 to justify the expense of buying into another "generation"! 

nakamuram ( ) posted Thu, 16 March 2023 at 2:09 PM
Stargazey posted at 11:10 AM Thu, 16 March 2023 - #4458701

I remember the hype when Genesis (1) was first released, it never really came off, and Genesis 2 came quite soon after. I suspect that Genesis 9 will also be a bit of a "damp squib" and Genesis 10, when it comes, will go back to separate male and female figures!

Anyway, I've decided enough is enough. I'm sticking with Genesis 8 (and occasionally older figures!) for the foreseeable future, and not investing in Genesis 9 at all. I actually prefer having different male and female base figures and just don't think there are enough advantages of G9 to justify the expense of buying into another "generation"!

Suggestion for DAZ - Split Genesis 9 into Genesis 9.1F and 9.1M and fix all of the joint bend problems.  Then the product might be successful.

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Mon, 20 March 2023 at 2:47 AM
nakamuram posted at 2:09 PM Thu, 16 March 2023 - #4458727

Suggestion for DAZ - Split Genesis 9 into Genesis 9.1F and 9.1M and fix all of the joint bend problems.  Then the product might be successful.

I'd aggree on the split, but the joint bending problems cannot be fixed on G9.
The mesh just doesn't support it, because of the lack of edge loops. G9 is mostly modeled of plain quads, which is pretty much a beginner's mistake.
I have no idea, why DAZ is making such a mistake.
My guess is, they just wanted to save time and ran an automatic re-mesher over their draft shape of Genesis 9.

nakamuram ( ) posted Mon, 20 March 2023 at 1:47 PM
Nevertrumper posted at 2:47 AM Mon, 20 March 2023 - #4459089

The mesh just doesn't support it, because of the lack of edge loops. G9 is mostly modeled of plain quads, which is pretty much a beginner's mistake.
My guess is, they just wanted to save time and ran an automatic re-mesher over their draft shape of Genesis 9.
That is bad news.  I was hoping that DAZ could make the necessary corrections to fix G9's joints, thus creating a worthwhile product.  In light of Nevertrumper's comments, I am considering changing my name to NeverG9er!!

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2023 at 6:39 AM
nakamuram posted at 1:47 PM Mon, 20 March 2023 - #4459113
Nevertrumper posted at 2:47 AM Mon, 20 March 2023 - #4459089

That is bad news.  I was hoping that DAZ could make the necessary corrections to fix G9's joints, thus creating a worthwhile product.  In light of Nevertrumper's comments, I am considering changing my name to NeverG9er!!
;-) To be fair, I have to admit, that I am really picky with those things. Some don't even see a problem with G9 at all.

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2023 at 1:57 AM

Everything about the new figure is completely baffling and feels like a giant step backwards in usability and content creation. G8 is in a pretty great place technically and they just scrapped everything that was a technical advantage in favor of an androgynous default morph that's harder to develop clothing for, and "subdivide 5x to get nipples". They even went with a completely different nomenclature for the joints, and yeah as already noted the knee and elbow bend deformations are really bad! WTF is up with this:

udNfipi.png

the head anatomy is not very great either (the back of the skull is too shallow, compare it to any normal person's head. on top of that it takes ages to load even without any morphs or textures installed. don't think I'll ever use this figure for anything!

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2023 at 6:31 AM · edited Fri, 24 March 2023 at 6:39 AM

Ok I guess they had done an update since the first release to address the elbow thing. Still a lot of other things I don't like about the new figure but at least there's that.

M8GZqJ0.png

knees still look bad!

L5rNpuM.png

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2023 at 6:43 AM

thigh buttock bends are pretty bad as well!

My Freebies

contedesfees ( ) posted Sun, 09 April 2023 at 2:37 PM

My.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.