Tue, Oct 22, 5:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Suggestion Box

Welcome to the Suggestion Box Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic, msansing

Suggestion Box F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:01 am)

This forum is designed for suggestions from the community on how you feel we can improve Renderosity.

Subject: Gallery filters on nudity, profanity, violence tags - why not an AI tag ?

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 3:27 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 3:42 AM

I saw a post/topic somewhere recently where somebody asked for a way to avoid seeing AI pictures in the New Art - a very reasonable request. After all AI seems to be a rather divisive issue in the same way that nudity, profanity, and violence are - some people abhor them, others have no problem.

To me the most obvious solution is to add an AI tag. That way every member can choose whether or not to see it in their gallery settings:

8y5OcxUNoPJoj1UbvOPFIvlPfsjNGPKtlIWLSJ0H.JPG

How to apply the tag ? Obviously anything in the AI Generated section of the gallery automatically gets the tag. That applies retrospectively too. I'm sure your gallery software can do that. If not one of your prgogrammers can write a script to do it. If not then I'm sure there are community members who could help.

The only* other section I can think of that might legitimately contain images needing an AI tag is Mixed Medium. First step there, just ask everybody to retrospectively add an AI tag to any of their Mixed Media pictures that use AI. Some will, some won't.

Final step - let the community weed out any AI stuff in places it shouldn't be - you already have the 'Report This Image' button in place.

*Except perhaps the Writers section. But with ChatGPT et al in their present state I'm sure that frequenters of that gallery will spot AI generated 'literature' a mile away, so they can easily weed out anything there.

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

Amaranth ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 4:54 AM · edited Wed, 03 May 2023 at 9:08 AM
You have my vote on this 

Amaranth3D

SpookieLilOne ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 7:58 AM · edited Wed, 03 May 2023 at 9:08 AM

My vote as well. I already snooze people on FB that AI "art" is all they post anymore.

*~*Jamie*~*

SpookieLilOne's Store 

SpookieLilOne's FreeStuff 

SpookieLilOne's Gallery 

"Life is just a dream on the way to death." ~The Crow: City of Angels

CHMedia ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 9:08 AM
CHMedia has moved this thread from the Community Center forum to the Suggestion Box forum as of Wednesday, May 3, 2023 9:08 am

CHMedia ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 9:11 AM

The existing tags are for Content Advisory. I will let the team know your suggestion.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 9:40 AM

Thanks.

And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2023 at 3:06 AM · edited Thu, 04 May 2023 at 3:08 AM

The main reason I suggested a tag is that they're already built into the gallery as filters, and thus it may be very easy to implement.

However, a better way would be to allow users to filter out the AI Generated gallery. More work probably as filtering by section isn't built in. And then if you allow users to filter out one particular section why not give them ability to filter out all sections they're not interested in ?

nacchi ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2023 at 10:53 AM

There should be a separate gallery for AI if it is posted here at all. Renderhub doesn't allow it, since it is not 3d rendering.

Killebrew ( ) posted Mon, 22 May 2023 at 3:10 PM

I vote for this as well. This A.I. art spamming in the galleries is really obnoxious. Big turn off.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2023 at 4:02 AM

nacchi posted at 10:53 AM Thu, 18 May 2023 - #4465681

There should be a separate gallery for AI if it is posted here at all. Renderhub doesn't allow it, since it is not 3d rendering.

Agreed, and there are already two AI specific gallery sections - AI Generated and Deep Dream Generator.

P.S. Photography isn't 3D rendering, and neither is Writing,  but Renderosity has always (as far back as I can remember anyway) had gallery sections for them. I guess Renderphotographwriterosity just wasn't such a catchy site name ? ;)

EVargas ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2023 at 8:01 AM
"filter out the AI", you have my vote! Not that I'm so radical about it but most of what we see is total trash anyway!

EVargas.Art

RAGraphicDesign ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2023 at 7:16 AM

The idea of adding a TAG in the gallery choices seems good to me. Just today scrolling through the galleries, I noticed that on a page of images, half were AI. Being able to see 3D images has become a feat... Even the number of uploads by the authors is sometimes unsustainable - the same theme repeated several times and in sequence.

My Store

My Freestuff

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2023 at 12:15 PM

Been thinking about this, not sure how it's going to work now that Photoshop has built-in AI by means of the new Generative Fill tool. Except for the absolute purists who refuse to post work -- even when their photos, renders, etc. would benefit from it -- I'm pretty certain that thing's gonna get used same as the healing brush, clone brush, filters and every other PS tool. And with exception of certain contest rules, those don't require any declaration of use when posting. Which means "I know it when I see it" probably won't fly as a means of judging whether or not something should be tagged with an AI content warning.

Also, how much of an image must be -- or not be -- AI enhanced, assisted or generated to the point where such tags apply? For instance, mixed media is exactly that: mixed. More than one medium and/or method involved. Not 100% photograph, or painting, or 3D render or whatever. Could be any and all combinations involved to achieve the desired results. And Other Apps or whatever it's called covers a lot of territory, not all of which is 100% AI-free. I'm thinking it's going to take a genius of King Solomon's level to come up with a solution that's both effective and fair. 

FalconWings ( ) posted Sun, 04 June 2023 at 3:09 PM

Hi everyone,

I believe an AI tag could be a practical way to address the varied reactions towards AI-generated art. This approach allows users to filter content based on their personal preferences. However artists would need to to tag their own mixed creations as moderators have no way of really knowing for sure!

DAZ 3D and Poser Lookalike Database

neo-the-chosen ( ) posted Sat, 01 July 2023 at 7:44 AM

AI images are not art. I am of the opinion that these images have no place on Renderosity!

But being able to block out these images would be a start.

Byrdie ( ) posted Sat, 01 July 2023 at 10:57 AM

There are as many definitions of art as there are individuals on this planet. It keeps changing with every newly discovered/invented means of creation and I do not foresee anyone arriving at or agreeing upon the One True Meaning of what constitutes "Art". Personally I don't think duct taping fruit to walls and the like is art, but that's just my opinion. When some Big Name Artist starts -- or admits to, because no doubt some of them are experimenting already -- using AI as part of their workflow, will those images suddenly become art in the eyes of all the naysayers? If we are judging the worthiness of a thing by the tool used to make it, we are not judging the work on its own merit or any lack thereof, we are simply judging the tool. Me, I prefer to judge the overall image, not the means by which it was arrived at, before deciding if it's Capital-A-Art or just another bit of "content". Your mileage may vary.

And yes, that does mean there might yet come a time when somebody will use duct tape and fruit to make something worthy in my opinion of the "Real Art" label. If so, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.  :-)

RAGraphicDesign ( ) posted Sat, 01 July 2023 at 11:15 AM

However going just a little "off topic", but not too much: I'm a bit tired of seeing AI images inserted in the Poser Gallery....But why ????? They have a tired finger when they have to choose the type of used software from the drop-down menu. I honestly don't understand.

My Store

My Freestuff

Byrdie ( ) posted Sat, 01 July 2023 at 12:41 PM · edited Sat, 01 July 2023 at 12:44 PM

Now that, as I've said before, is not cool. There's an AI gallery for the pure AI stuff, a Mixed Medium gallery for anything that uses more than one tool or method -- say, Poser and AI together in the one image, and various individual galleries. I'd no more put a pure AI work in the Poser gallery than I'd stick a Daz Studio or Poser work in the Photography section. It's just not done. Accidents may happen and newbies make mistakes but deliberately miscategorizing is plain bad manners. I don't understand either.

Unless maybe these particular AI works are supposed to be of or in the style of Poser models? That might explain it somewhat. Doesn't make it right but then it would be a case of not knowing as opposed to not caring. When in doubt, ask. Someone's bound to point you in the right direction. ;-)

fireangel ( ) posted Mon, 10 July 2023 at 7:09 AM

Oh, please!  Yes!

I'd love to be able to filter out AI generated images as they rarely have much to offer in a 3D oriented gallery.  I use AI myself to generate images but I don't post them here and I don't foresee myself doing so.

Also posting stuff in the Poser gallery that isn't made with Poser — or any other software gallery doing the same trick — is indeed very rude and should get people warned, suspended or if they persist, banned from posting in the galleries.  Categorise your stuff honestly, please!

Amaranth ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2023 at 4:36 AM

be brave and post your poser/ds images in the ai gallery *chuckle* 

Amaranth3D

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2023 at 12:19 PM

If your images used an AI app along with Poser or Daz in the making, it'd probably be just fine having them in the AI gallery. Like a dancing Christmas elf render I made years ago in Poser but updated with AI-generated knickers to bring him into TOS compliance. Though I ended up putting him in Mixed Media, not the Poser gallery, he probably could have gone there too since it was at least 95% Poser work with the other part being Stable Diffusion made undies and Photoshop. I think AI can be a legitimate post work tool for Poser and other 3d art but since others disagree, often vehemently, I'd rather avoid the whole hassle and stick to places where I know I'm welcome. Or at least tolerated. 

Then again, the making of pretty pictures is my hobby nowadays, not my occupation. Also cheaper than any other habits/vices I might otherwise have indulged in and certainly cheaper that therapy. Folks that are building their portfolios and careers will have other concerns, as they say your mileage may vary.

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 12 July 2023 at 1:03 PM

Trying and failing to edit mis-typed word. Should read "cheaper than therapy". But forum software or whatever threw an error and when it did let me post, accidentally double posted the whole comment instead of my correction. :sigh: Between bad eyes and arthritis, I am very fumble fingered these days.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.