Wed, Sep 18, 6:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Archives? FAQ Tuts for Making Ground Planes from Grayscale?

Tynkere ( ) posted Thu, 07 September 2023 at 5:59 PM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 3:23 AM

Title says it all I guess.  My notes from years ago don't say much.  'Dart.  Tut.  World Creator.  Import grayscale.'

Carrara can use grayscale to make 100m to 1000m ground plane, or was that Bryce?   

PS: Not seeing any topics other than an announcement & Wendy's sharing an animation.  "Browse archives" doesn't seem to do anything.  Normal or got wiped when forum was closed?   

Tynkere ( ) posted Thu, 07 September 2023 at 6:07 PM

Thanks.  Lot of content to scroll through.   Bound to be something.  ; )

ProPose001 ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2023 at 3:14 AM

Not aware of any tutorials on the subject, but.....

Yes, Carrara can use Grayscale images to create terrains.  Start with an empty scene, then drag in a Terrain object via the tool icons or front the Insert Menu drop-down.

That will get you into the terrain editor, from where you have lots of options in creating a terrain using the tools in the editor.  If you're not comfortable with the painting tools of the editor the you can Clear the canvas using the 'Clear' button and 'Import'  a height map  or displacement map available from numerous sources on the Web to generate a terrain, real world or otherwise.  First thing I would do though, is READ the MANUAL.  I know the documentation sucks, but even the Carrara 6 Manual that comes with Carrara 8 has a wealth of info that will help

Tynkere ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2023 at 4:31 PM · edited Sat, 09 September 2023 at 5:18 PM

Hmmm...  Feels like an empty tavern.  Where is everyone?  I guess they've moved to social media, or...  More about that later.

Anyway, after plowing dozens of different ways to phrase search terms, Google did have the link I remembered.   Many thanks to "Dartenbeck."

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/37867/building-carrara-terrains-intro

Thanks for reply & enjoy weekend!

----

PS:  On an iPad using DDG, Rendo has this annoying "accept cookies" notice at the bottom of the screen.  The notice is sized perfectly to hide the reply button.  Was fun posting here while it lasted.  

Third party requests loaded as part of accepting:

Facebook

Google Ads

Amazon

jquery

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2023 at 6:40 PM · edited Sat, 09 September 2023 at 6:48 PM

yeah DAZ forum the better place to ask questions 

Map Editor is where you can import a greyscale map

also http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/artzone/pub/software/carrara/carrara7_user_guide.pdf 

which weirdly doesn't mention this

so ignore RTFM comments in this case at least

YouTube Channel

Dreaming Kitty Channel

Tom R. Toe

My ArtyFarty AI channel

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.