Fri, Jul 12, 3:04 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 11 7:41 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: upcoming halloween contest announcement

maneki_neko ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2023 at 12:52 PM · edited Fri, 12 July 2024 at 1:14 AM

i just read the rules for this upcoming halloween contest starting on oct 3rd, and unless i missed the info despite having read the rules thrice, i think before misunderstandings happen, someone should define explicitly if/how AI will/will not be accepted (in a previous contest it was clearly mentioned "no AI entries allowed", and this was even before the ban.
like: absolutely no AI at all not even in the workflow / or only as mixed-medium when part of the workflow but with pre/postwork / or no problem with AI even straight from the prompt... etc.

i love halloween - the only holiday i celebrate - and i'm excited and looking forward to this contest ^^

IN THE END, MERITOCRACY HAS NOT ONLY PERMEATED OUR DAILY LIVES AND WORK, BUT ALSO OUR HEARTS, OUR MINDS AND OUR PERCEPTION OF ART...

CHMedia ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2023 at 1:13 PM
Renderosity allows " Workflow AI" thus it is welcome in our Contests. Keyword generated AI imagery that scrapes copyrighted material from the world wide web is not allowed. Thank you for asking. I look forward to your entries in this year's halloween contest!

maneki_neko ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2023 at 2:31 PM

CHMedia posted at 1:13 PM Sun, 1 October 2023 - #4475632

Renderosity allows " Workflow AI" thus it is welcome in our Contests. Keyword generated AI imagery that scrapes copyrighted material from the world wide web is not allowed. Thank you for asking. I look forward to your entries in this year's halloween contest!
i'm not trying to annoy anyone, least of all you CHMedia.. but it's still not clear, after i read your comment. i've seen people using AI in their workflow in the gallery as allowed in the new general rukes, but i'm not sure the AI part of their work hasn't been using what you mention... and obviously for a contest the scrutiny will be way higher.

let's say i put one of my AI images (classic prompt generated) on a canvas as a poster/painting in a 3D scene, and add a 3D character, and maybe props etc. this image coming from a public site (for me nightcafé, wombo, maybe clipdrop) WILL BE (very probably) coming from scraped copyrighted material etc as you mentioned. all models are based on that. however, it's only part of a mixed workflow AI+3D. so what now?

same if i take one of my own 3D renders and "enhance it" on a public AI site - while the base is clearly mine, the new version will be built up with scraped stuff left and right, since it's the essence of the models... so what then?

the only form of "workflow AI" that might not be using any copyrighted materials might be AI integrated in a photocamera, or as a tool/plugin in PS/gimp or another 2D app, and maybe even 3D since apparently blender has/will have some integrated AI too.

IN THE END, MERITOCRACY HAS NOT ONLY PERMEATED OUR DAILY LIVES AND WORK, BUT ALSO OUR HEARTS, OUR MINDS AND OUR PERCEPTION OF ART...

Byrdie ( ) posted Mon, 02 October 2023 at 2:50 PM

Halloween? Where? I'm only seeing Swimsuit and Animation contest announcements. 

Giana ( ) posted Mon, 02 October 2023 at 3:38 PM
Byrdie ( ) posted Mon, 02 October 2023 at 5:24 PM

Looks interesting. Might enter something just for fun, depending on the rules regarding workflow AI.  Like the OP said, there are still some things not quite clear. For instance, pure keyword generated images are not allowed due to the possibility of material "scraped from copyright sources". But what about pure or mostly-pure text generated images made with Adobe Firefly? Because that one is not trained on random stuff off the internet but on Adobe licensed stock. Should be legit to use, right? Things like that need to be sorted to (hopefully) avoid confusion. 

shvrdavid ( ) posted Mon, 02 October 2023 at 11:09 PM · edited Mon, 02 October 2023 at 11:11 PM

Adobe has already publicly stated that they can not 100% guarantee the AI model was taught without using copyrighted material. And if they can not 100% guarantee that it doesn't contain copyrighted information, does it?. That came from one of the VP's own mouth in an interview. Which is only part of the problem.

The images you or I generate from AI models, are not ours either. Which is an odd place to be legally. Ultimately that means you could violate the TOS here, when posting it here and clicking on the box claiming you own it to do so... Because if it contains AI content, we don't own it, and it is no longer copyrightable....  It is a slippery slop..... 

CHMedia stated "Keyword generated AI imagery that scrapes copyrighted material from the world wide web is not allowed"

And that basically sums it up with a resounding no, it is not allowed. Because even Adobe said they can not guarntee the claim of 100% trained on things they legally were allowed to use.

Why are only Adobe Enterprise customers are eligible for the legal protection??? They have basically said nothing since about it since. Other than say it is 100% Abode images or images that there is no copyright, after stating they could not guarantee that prior.... So which is it? Do your copyrights have ip addresses attached to them? Probably not.....

“When we control it against stock [images], it’s as good or better in terms of field compliance and IP checks,”   “We feel very good this is totally and completely commercially safe. I mean, risk is never zero, hence why we offer indemnification.”

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

antony1 ( ) posted Tue, 03 October 2023 at 4:56 AM

The whole "Adobe can not guarantee 100 %..." was a farce right from the beginning.

The Adobe Ai generator is trained with Adobe stock footage and where comes this stock footage from?

There are thousands of privat artists who are selling their art to Adobe.

It is a business model.

Since about a year  these sales to the Adobe stock footage market are coming mainly

from the big AI Generators which are trained with pictures in the web without permission.

Why should someone spend hours for creating art to sale to the Adobe Marketplace when he can create 

hundreds in the same time.

The only thing Adobe is doing before accepting a picture for their market, 

is a quality check and the use of some algorythm to filter out some obvious copyright claims.

We speak about thousands of pictures every day.

It's like the pandorra's box, there is no way back.

At least in art contests and some artist based web communities there is no other way than not allowing AI generated art at all

and that's what happens in the moment everywhere.

In the buiseness world where counts just the money (time is money) there is allready a big change visible

and I am quiet shure that AI generated Art will dominate sooner or later the whole business of grafic design.

It's sad but that's the reality now.

And to all the AI enthusiasts here in the forum I would like to say: calm down, leave some space for artists who 

still like to use their own brain and experience to create art.

You will win the "war". If it will be a better world for artists and creative people in general, we will see.

tparo ( ) posted Tue, 03 October 2023 at 10:14 AM
Online Now!
Giana posted at 3:38 PM Mon, 2 October 2023 - #4475681

Announcement

I just get a Sorry page.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 03 October 2023 at 10:33 AM
Site Admin

tparo posted at 10:14 AM Tue, 3 October 2023 - #4475742

Giana posted at 3:38 PM Mon, 2 October 2023 - #4475681

Announcement

I just get a Sorry page.
https://www.renderosity.com/contests/1610/2023-halloween-contest

You can find the contest here

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

tparo ( ) posted Tue, 03 October 2023 at 10:40 AM
Online Now!

Well I found the thread and maybe I'm missing it but couldn't see any mention of AI usage in the rules at all.

Byrdie ( ) posted Tue, 03 October 2023 at 10:43 AM

I'm seeing "Sorry!" page too now. Guess they're working on sorting out those details. Best to make sure everything is in proper order before officially announcing. 

Byrdie ( ) posted Tue, 03 October 2023 at 10:57 AM · edited Tue, 03 October 2023 at 11:01 AM

Found it. You are correct, there is no mention of AI anywhere in the rules. Which leads me to infer that whatever the current policy is regarding such usage on site also applies to this contest. But to be safe perhaps one should check with a mod before submitting one's entry, if one has doubts.

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2023 at 8:19 AM · edited Wed, 04 October 2023 at 9:01 AM
Site Admin

They uploaded the wrong set of rules. I'll get that switched out, also with the new a.i. rule. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Note this rule:

• Any entry containing violence, blood, brutality or gore that is implied or explicit will be removed.

We are being very lenient with it. After-all, it is Halloween and some gore is expected.

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

tparo ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2023 at 10:13 AM
Online Now!

I see its no longer anonymous - I'm out.

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2023 at 1:20 PM

How does:

• The contest will not be anonymous.
  • You are permitted to repost your entries online, such as on FB or the Renderosity Galleries, and talk about your entries, and to encourage others to come view or enter the contest.

match up with:

• You cannot sign your real name, Renderosity username, or use any logos on your image or thumbnail, but you can sign your real name or Renderosity username in the description box.

That seems just a wee bit contradictory, at least to me. I mean, if it's NOT anonymous, why the part about no signatures?

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2023 at 1:31 PM
Site Admin

@Byrdie Images may be used in Renderosity promotions at a later time, but can not have names or logos on them to do so. Hence, no signing your name on the image.

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2023 at 1:53 PM

'kay, that makes sense. Thanks.

Teufelseinhorn ( ) posted Thu, 12 October 2023 at 6:53 AM

How about other galleries like DeviantArt, is it allowed to post the picture there?

• You are permitted to repost your entries online, such as on FB or the Renderosity Galleries, and talk about your entries, and to encourage others to come view or enter the contest.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 12 October 2023 at 7:24 AM
Site Admin

Deviant art is fine.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.