Tue, Oct 1, 5:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 2:29 pm)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Intersecting Cubes (and other things too) cancel each other when overlapped

OberonRex ( ) posted Sun, 08 October 2023 at 3:00 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 5:30 PM

Starting with two cubes, side by side.

G6Nt9BU7pMANeoTNAjFY4ejEPAPpUEv1KCDCReMK.png

Overlapped:

tNc6A4Q8R4SAwZjuTxpH8Can46wnr44LLat4fyTx.png

Rendered with SuperFly (FireFly doesn't do this, but I want to use SuperFly):
c2kp8F7PddRFf7aPIJjCjbCRJh6rkKM28ADMkgwt.png

There are other objects that cancel each other when overlapping, but this is the one that's driving me crazy right now. Trying to create wall primitives, and want to overlap the patterns (brick) to line them up properly. It isn't really a cancellation, in that you can't see through the black space:
MFg93Bmib5bA6f4DF2sKx0sZNX4n2Voe2cE8zSUl.png

Doesn't seem to matter what materials are used.

Any clues, tips, suggestions?

OberonRex ( ) posted Sun, 08 October 2023 at 3:22 PM

Further experimenting indicates that it's the overlapping surfaces that are the problem. If you move one cube a skinch down and back, it sort of works. Anyway, it's not so much a cancellation as it is that the overlapped surfaces render as black.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 08 October 2023 at 4:06 PM
Online Now!

Try subdividing the cubes to 2 and rerender.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 08 October 2023 at 4:12 PM · edited Sun, 08 October 2023 at 4:12 PM
Online Now!

Superfly render

wtUHyW2MtahUWT7SPnReg9xjYlNdFAEzu9Wa2Sip.png

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 08 October 2023 at 4:19 PM · edited Sun, 08 October 2023 at 4:19 PM
Online Now!

Firefly Render:

it is apparent that subdivision does not work in Firefly  m8dVjD4yyEIygJwmlBqt5fzpos46rKkuI7vdDzFc.png

OberonRex ( ) posted Sun, 08 October 2023 at 4:28 PM

AWESOME!!! Thank you so much.

I still had some "noise" using subdivision = 2, but it worked perfectly at 4. Very, very, nice.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 08 October 2023 at 4:43 PM
Online Now!

The subdivision will render longer.  Increasing the pixel number will get rid of the noise.

OberonRex ( ) posted Sun, 08 October 2023 at 5:39 PM

Hmm. How do I increase the pixel number? Is that one of the renderer setting?

OberonRex ( ) posted Sun, 08 October 2023 at 5:53 PM · edited Sun, 08 October 2023 at 5:53 PM

Ah. Is this the setting you mean?

rSroYFWCSHovKDBVaC2Dn4tyUQKrp8H1rTcgRmnk.png

The "Render" setting?
This combination seemed to work well for me

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 08 October 2023 at 6:01 PM
Online Now!

That would be in your render settings in Superfly.

OberonRex ( ) posted Sun, 08 October 2023 at 6:34 PM

This is what I see on my system:
ZYAf7S25rNU0izMFz3ZEg1aQ0tsxpcmBW05831qs.png

These are my normal settings. Do I have the setting you're referring to? Pixel samples? Although I do have that already cranked up a bit, so I'm guessing that isn't it. Sigh. I do hope this isn't somehow because my video card doesn't support something.

Another questiion: When I set the subdivisions to 2, the edges and corners of the cubes become rounded. Is there someway to keep them crisp?

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 08 October 2023 at 8:37 PM
Online Now!

Not much you can do with rounded edges from subdivision on a single plane mesh.  You will get distortions to varying degrees.  You would need to create the object in a modeling program where you can physically determine the amount of subdivision.  Poser's subdivision is more adaptive to organic models like figures.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 09 October 2023 at 9:23 AM

It's a "feature".

https://projects.blender.org/blender/blender/issues/96475

Yet another example of programmer arrogance.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

OberonRex ( ) posted Mon, 09 October 2023 at 10:49 AM · edited Mon, 09 October 2023 at 10:49 AM

Can someone recommend an adequate modeling program?

Sometime long ago, like maybe 20 years ago, I built some articulated props which I cannot, for the life of me, remember how I created. They're complex enough that I don't think I built them in Poser. This is one, fully articulated. The chain bends, the lock unlocks, the cuffs open.

mkXWzyeZNlEUOE6zBuDWWdqJBVYSp3dc2gWrK3ON.png

Somehow I don't think I built it in Poser (4, btw). I have this vague thought that maybe it was Dazd (Daz3d?) but I really don't know. Effectively, after a 20 year haitus, I'm pretty much a newbie again. So any suggestions about what app to use would be greatly appreciated.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 09 October 2023 at 1:13 PM
Site Admin

A large portion of that could be built in Poser today. I like Blender for my modeling. With the new interface, it's a lot easier to use.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

OberonRex ( ) posted Mon, 09 October 2023 at 2:03 PM

Hmm. Thanks for the tips. I am finding, with a little exploration, that I do seem to be able to do a lot more in Poser than I remember, so that's good. And I will go google Blender and read up on it. Thanks again!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.