Sat, Aug 3, 7:51 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 7:14 am)

Subject: Texture creation with cut out areas fill with a mesh instead of solid color

MeInOhio ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2023 at 9:43 PM ยท edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 6:48 AM

I'm trying to create a texture for the bodysuit that has places on the legs where it is suppose to be a mesh. I tried creating by putting a mesh under the texture with the cutouts in Photoshop. I save it out as a png file and loaded it into Poser 13 but I'm not getting the mesh effect. So then I left out the mesh and tried it with just the texture with the holes cut out. Once I got that to work, I figured I would try to figure out how to get the mesh added. But when I load that png file into poser, the cutout areas still don't work. If I load the same texture into UV Mapper Pro, it shows texture with the cutouts. So, does Poser not use the transparency of a png file? And if not, how can I do what I'm trying to do?

Thanks.

Sunfire ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2023 at 11:06 PM

If you do it as a true alpha png, no. Poser doesn't like them.

You have to make the background of your cut outs black, for the transparency map.

Sunfire's Creations

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2023 at 7:54 AM
Site Admin

If you are using Superfly, you can use the cycles>texture>image texture and plug the alpha into the transparency slot. If you're using the firefly engine or the image_map under 2d textures, it doesn't work.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2023 at 11:29 AM

Did you create a transparency mask?

MeInOhio ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2023 at 9:07 PM

Thanks for the replies. So do I fill the transparent places with black and then create an alpha channel for the transparent areas? Actually I to put a mesh like fabric in the holes. I have a black and white texture that would represent the mesh.

Is a transparency mask different than an alpha?

Thanks.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Fri, 15 December 2023 at 3:04 AM
Forum Coordinator

Alpha channels in .png do not work as intended, also not in Cycles node. Blender has, I understand, same issue.

One solution is to encode the transparency in your texture: let pure black (rgb=0,0,0) represent transparent and any other color opaque. Use a math.step node to filter. Signal will be white(=1) for transparent so for use in Posersurface root node you will need to invert it, by subtracting it from 1.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.