Tue, Oct 1, 12:41 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 1:56 am)

Subject: New hair shader color

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 1:54 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 12:41 PM
Site Admin

I'm working on updating my Superfly shaders for strand hair because, with the changes in Superfly, they don't look as good. Would people call this one blond or light brown?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 1:57 PM · edited Mon, 01 January 2024 at 1:57 PM
Site Admin

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for more colors, I'm open to them. So far I have these

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Sunfire ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 2:30 PM

What about a strawberry blonde?

Sunfire's Creations

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 2:47 PM
Site Admin

I'll see what I can do. I had thought about that one and then forgot again

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 5:28 PM

Are these colors generated with the PrincipledHair node?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 5:34 PM
Site Admin

Some of them are, some of them are just hairbsdf combos.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 6:55 PM

If you have one of OutofTouch's hairs, chances are that you may find a lot of standard hair colors, without any spec burned it:
Excerpt:

e0nMb1R7muXZiZpQopqamI2XELyj0zUKPtFp6Zp7.png

Currently, there's more than 160 items, scalps included.

Furthermore, one of the sets also contains alpha textures, that allows you to easily mix'n'match to bitmaps

ByJjJMv2v0ZmDthy9XWuXXeHycpYEnPsqwnR7JUx.png

Most of the time, I use a 0.5 X-scale when the direction of the hair is vertical.
Besides  this, Biscuits also has a really cool collection of hair bitmaps

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 7:40 PM

But RedPhantom is creating textures for strand hair, a different shader approach from Prop or figure hair pieces.

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 9:31 PM · edited Mon, 01 January 2024 at 9:32 PM
RedPhantom posted at 1:54 PM Mon, 1 January 2024 - #2985327

I'm working on updating my Superfly shaders for strand hair because, with the changes in Superfly, they don't look as good. Would people call this one blond or light brown?

Looking at it at the top of her hair, I'd call it a light dusty blond, but when looking at it as a whole, I'd call it light brown.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

shvrdavid ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2024 at 12:44 PM

Strand hair in Superfly is a bit odd. I still have not figured out how to reliably access the W axis across the length of it that works with multiple types of lighting. Which makes highlights a massive problem. 

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2024 at 1:47 PM

I recall that there was a YouTube video based on the Blender PrincipledHair node.  It might take some digging to find it.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2024 at 2:55 PM

Keep in mind that particle hair is done on the x axis in Blender to set a lot up. Dynamic hair in Poser is done on the w axis more often than not.

You can do it with generated and a separate xyz on the x in Poser as well, but it just isn't the same.

BB had a thread here somewhere about that years ago. But the search is terrible here and I can not find it.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2024 at 3:51 PM
Site Admin

What is the w axis? I'm only familiar with the x,y, and z.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2024 at 4:06 PM · edited Tue, 02 January 2024 at 4:15 PM

W axis is the along length of dynamic hair. BB did a post with an explanation of it years ago, but I can not find it with the search here.

Dynamic hair uses 4 axes. W,X,Y, and Z.... X and Y map where the hair comes out of the scalp. Which is why you could use a texture in firefly to make strands differing colors based on where they were on the scalp. I don't recall what Z does, and W is the along length of the hair. Basically if you want to change something (color, highlight, etc) along the length, you do it on W.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2024 at 6:28 AM

shvrdavid posted at 4:06 PM Tue, 2 January 2024 - #4479904

W axis is the along length of dynamic hair. BB did a post with an explanation of it years ago, but I can not find it with the search here.

Dynamic hair uses 4 axes. W,X,Y, and Z.... X and Y map where the hair comes out of the scalp. Which is why you could use a texture in firefly to make strands differing colors based on where they were on the scalp. I don't recall what Z does, and W is the along length of the hair. Basically if you want to change something (color, highlight, etc) along the length, you do it on W.

The first idea that comes to my mind is that Z "could be" a kind of altitude: z > 0 would allow to start the hair above the scalp, hence the expression "pulling out one's hair". 4HxWAgqVKktQwGb5RNSbwTCPjLNifVdVf9igc8NO.gif

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

shvrdavid ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2024 at 11:58 PM

I still don't remember what the Z axis does. I think BB's post was on Runtime as well, which would be why I cant find it here.....

I would have to play with it to remember.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2024 at 2:20 PM
Site Admin

Here's what I have so far. I've made extra glossy versions of them too as I've heard some say they prefer that. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2024 at 2:47 PM

Have you considered color-dyed hair like blues, greens, and reds to start?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2024 at 3:14 PM
Site Admin

I was thinking about doing a second set with those. I want to get creative with those, so it may take a little longer to test.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.