Mon, Oct 21, 11:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Not seeing wire frame preview

surveyman ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2001 at 11:33 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 9:34 PM

Yo people, Bit of a newby here. I've been trying to play with Vue4 for a while, but I lost the wire frame preview in my views. I can see my objects in in 'Flat-shaded' and 'Smooth shaded' previews, but when I switch to wireframe, I loose the visibility of the objects. This happens under both OpenGL and without OpenGL. FYI - I have a Matrox Millenium II - and have never had problems w/ graphics. Lots of RAM too (768mb). Am I missing activating something in Vue? Thanks... JoeK

Varian ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2001 at 12:19 AM

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum! I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you, but perhaps someone else will be along with some ideas. This is one I haven't heard about before, so I can't even make any guesses.

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2001 at 5:30 AM

Maybe your objects are just out of view ? Try the following: Click several times on the "-" icon until you see the whole "world" (a circle). Then click at the cam and click several times on the "+" icon. You should get into your scene and see again the objects. If this doesn't work, write to support.sbell@e-onsoftware.com and explain your problem.

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2001 at 5:32 AM

Another thing you must try before.Disable SHOW FOG in all 4 windows. If this is enabled, you may not see your objects.

MikeJ ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2001 at 5:42 AM

And your "background draw" should be set to at least 3/4. Is it possible you might have turned it down in the Options panel? That's under File>Options, and the "background draw" and "instant draw" sliders are at the upper right. background draw detrermines the quality and complexity of the wireframe preview, and instant draw determines the quality of it as it's being moved.

surveyman ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2001 at 8:24 AM

MY background draw is set to 3/4 & I do not have fog enabled. The model I am trying to 'vue' is a simple mesh approx. 8km long and about 50m wide - it is a dxf of a road in a mountainous terrain, from a Digital Terrain Modeling package, exported out of AutoCad. I've also converted the DXF to a 3DS file, but get the same result.

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2001 at 8:45 AM

Oh, DFX and OBJ and 3Ds sometimes shows up only as small points. Do you get an image when you render ? Try to add a tree or another Vue object. If you can see them in the windows, then it is a format fault, not a Vue fault :-)

surveyman ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2001 at 1:59 PM

Gebe, That is the perplexing part, I can SEE the image in the little render preview window. I can see the mesh in the shaded or box modes. The only mode that is not functioning is the wire frame. When I render, the mesh is there. And I am trying to use wireframe because it is accurate, but does not slow my system down the way Shaded views do. I'm running a Celeron 450, fast enough for wireframe but a definitive time lag on shaded previews. By the sounds of it, I'll have to re-install Vue, then try it out before applying each patch. I know I had wireframe, but I've been using Shaded displays. I might have lost it in one of the upgrades, and only noticed it on this large job when using shaded displays proved too slow Thanks Gebe...

MeInOhio ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2001 at 3:02 PM

There's something in the preferences that cause this. Something to do with clipping. I don't have Vue on this machine, or I'd look it up and see if I remember what I unchecked. I'll take a look later and see what I have unchecked. Kevin

Varian ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2001 at 3:38 PM

There is "clip objects below ground plane" but that usually applies only to the main view, so if that was the case, the wireframe should still display in the top and side views. Very perplexing.

MeInOhio ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2001 at 3:48 PM

Well, I'm no expert, but I wasn't seeing any of the wireframes in my top and side views, or even in that render window. Then when Mike told me what to uncheck so that I could see my models when I did an underwater scene, I noticed that I could then see everything above the horizon line??, but nothing below, I went back and looked the other options and I think I unchecked clip at ground plane or something like that. Anyway, I can see my wireframes now. I am running Vue 4.01 on windowsXP. Kevin

bloodsong ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2001 at 4:48 PM

heyas; it might be that your wireframe window views are not refreshing. do they show up if you click on the view 'title' bar, or if you click on something in the world browser? that's how mine behave.

surveyman ( ) posted Tue, 30 October 2001 at 10:35 PM

Thanks for the help tries, but it seems like I will have to re-install. No, it is not the clipping options and although my refreshes are slow (in Shaded mode), they do work. I'll let U know what the results are. Cheers, JoeK (Surveyman)

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2001 at 5:02 AM

It's strange, but yes, since you say it had been working before, it sounds like something in the program might have gotten corrupted. That's the only other thing I would guess, unless you've changed or updated your video card driver since then.

surveyman ( ) posted Wed, 31 October 2001 at 12:28 PM

Well, I deleted VUE4 and re-installed from scratch. Even with a virginal copy of VUE4 (no patches applied), I still am missing wireframe previews. Thanks for the suggestion Mike, but its not a driver problem. Had the same driver for the past 2 years (for Matrox Millenium II - the latest), and have had no problems with other apps. I also run AMAPI 4.15 for modeling, and that program relies on OpenGL a lot. I do remember having wireframe, so the only thing left to try is a small model. If that has wireframe, and this big one doesn't, it could be a file size/VUE problem. The file I'm trying to work with is large. DXF is 64mb, a 3DS version of it about 15mb. I'll post my results tonight after I try it. Cheers...

surveyman ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2001 at 12:03 AM

OK - did some messing around and found out what the problem is. Its the file size. When I create a small model, the wireframe displays normally. When I DXF in my 8km long model, I get the problem with displaying of the wireframes. In the 3DS model, the wireframe is also displayed, but is already missing some triangles. The DXF file is 17.3mb large, while the 3DS file is 0.95mb. Hmmmm.

Varian ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2001 at 1:23 PM

Sounds like some problem within Vue for memory handling, then.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.