Wed, Jul 3, 1:11 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 18 7:13 am)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: "Catch Lights" for eyes?

OberonRex ( ) posted Sun, 16 June 2024 at 8:34 AM · edited Tue, 02 July 2024 at 7:26 AM

I'm trying to get "catch lights" in the eyes. Trivial in a physical studio. Not seeming as easy in Poser.

Any suggestions?
Mc2vgh3I3EKXXsCiOh8WO6H2SJRD774rVlvvkaJZ.png

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 16 June 2024 at 10:10 AM
Site Admin

can you post a sample of what you are talking about? And also your shader for the Cornea and other possible surfaces that might cover the iris?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 16 June 2024 at 11:44 AM

Yes, post the Material Room shaders for the cornea, iris, and sclera, if those material zones exist.  Catching lights from existing studio lights is easy, provided that the eye shaders are reflective enough.  If you are intending to reflect bright images on the eyes, then you need a background, or backdrop, in the scene.  In past Poser versions, this was hacked into the material shaders by actually connecting a distorted, reflective image map to the root node.  However, upon close-up rendering, you could see that the reflected image never matched the actual surrounding environment.

OberonRex ( ) posted Sun, 16 June 2024 at 12:13 PM

Well, wow. More information than I know what to do with.

RedPhanton, what sorts of sample, other than the resulting image? What I've done for that image was to put a large Point Light behind the camera. Dim, but it shows up in the eyes. My shaders are standard, off the shelf, whatever came with the model Pauline. It never occurred to me to look in that area.

hborre, the only material room shaders for this model are cornea and eye. I shall play with reflectivity for those and see what I get.

My wish is to do this in a manner mimicing what happens in a Physical Studio, where catch lights are frequently just a small "catch light" placed behind the camera, more or less. And now I'm thinking of a "catch light" *plus* tweaking the cornea and/or eye reflectivity settings.

Thank you both!

I can post the shaders if needed, but I'm thinking that you guys have already given me everything I need on this one!

OberonRex ( ) posted Sun, 16 June 2024 at 12:19 PM · edited Sun, 16 June 2024 at 12:19 PM

Hmm. Upon looking at Cornea and Eyes, I'm unclear about how to tweak reflectivity.

Here's Cornea:
E7PNIeO8maBr1VBKWl0xOMFaH1Xj00PLsgON0P9l.png

And here's Eyes:

9wGDGIUEWW7hC6NAAbYmOpYux29WpW1wvXlX9pc5.png

It looks suspiciously to me like there's an attempt at built-in sparkle for the eyes.

Soooo -- I'm gonna try tweaking Specular, maybe Roughness too. Maybe even read the manual a bit?

Any suggestions from here?

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 16 June 2024 at 12:56 PM

Yep, the iris shader is horrible for Superfly.  Pauline's default texture that loads with the model is correct, no baked-in highlights.  So use the default eyes only.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sun, 16 June 2024 at 1:06 PM · edited Sun, 16 June 2024 at 1:06 PM

I don't know for the character you are using but as explained by Ghostship, last year I think, on Vic4's:

- the cornea is made invisible

- the reflection are handled on the "5_EyeSurface" material, using this trick:

vHqIeMKxbTx0GW40GZOyXs8XUGDxOT19ouWD16CO.png

The first time he showed us the trick, the GlossyBsdf was used, then he suggested the Blinn so that we could see the Point lights as well (if I remember correctly)
Example:

ivEi4oBfPmRQ2GfvI610XKAdnC5zt3fpfPZEdkct.png

Anf both LaFemme and LaFemme2 have the EyeSurface (not tested yet)

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sun, 16 June 2024 at 1:21 PM

That seems to do the trick on LaFemme 2: Afrodite Ohki's Anuli, using my skin setup and the trick on the Eye Surface

04IphJYX2WECcypbCeSz0onBGLhXKQF4jrmHwi5C.png

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 16 June 2024 at 1:52 PM

Pauline only has 2 eye shaders that present a problem with accurate realism with Superfly rendering.  There is no pupil, sclera, or iris layer for shader refinement.  I do agree that substituting the GlossyBsdf node for the Blinn node improves environmental reflectivity but I also notice that we lose that reflectiveness in the eye whites.  The screencap below illustrates what I came up with to correct that problem.

HDQo3DLu5xPRsNw2g5ZLEEi5nip0V0t5NZaTkHYc.png

Adjust the blend value lower on the Layerweight Node.

The render below is an extreme closeup of Pauline's eye and I am using an HDR image for lighting, no default Poser lights.

LBNxTlapUhU0KVoK5Flz8KYGxm5pA2wHbYLbtu0x.png

OberonRex ( ) posted Sun, 16 June 2024 at 2:14 PM

Wow, folks. I am overwhelmed. You guys are so incredibly ahead of me and my feeble knowledge of Poser materials that I'm stunned.

Thank you for the great information though. I shall have to read and reread and re-reread, and I will almost certainly have to ask additional questions.

Thank you again.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.