Mon, Sep 30, 5:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 10:28 am)

Subject: Delay between rendering and returning to Preview screen

ReggieKowalski ( ) posted Mon, 15 July 2024 at 3:45 AM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 12:20 AM

Is this normal?

I set the props, characters, pose, and the lighting etc. Then select Render which takes around 5 minutes to complete.
I can scroll around the finished render and save it to disc instantly, but when I try to go back to the Preview screen and start posing again, there's a 30-second delay before Poser lets me.

My scene is quite simple: 1 building with a set of props, 3 characters with clothing (quite often only 2 of them in the shot).
But honestly speaking, I get this delay regardless of scene complexity.

What is Poser doing during these 30 seconds? I just want to get back to the Preview screen and start posing for the next shot!

Any advice as to how I can prevent this would be great - even an explanation as to why it's happening would suffice :D
Many thanks,

Here are my render settings:

izxHScxC9X9h92DjbHzfQdcM8UFzBIBoZkGX8xlm.png

And here is my PC spec:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor
Base speed: 3.20 GHz
32MB RAM
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070 Super

Thanks,
RSK

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 15 July 2024 at 7:09 AM
Site Admin

Once the render is complete, Poser saves an exr file for the recent render pallet. Those files can be rather large. If your hard drive is slow, that might be part of the issue.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

ReggieKowalski ( ) posted Mon, 15 July 2024 at 11:42 AM
RedPhantom posted at 7:09 AM Mon, 15 July 2024 - #4487367

Once the render is complete, Poser saves an exr file for the recent render pallet. Those files can be rather large. If your hard drive is slow, that might be part of the issue.

Many thanks for replying. I've had a look at these files in the render cache, they're around 6-7 Mb. My C: drive is an SSD with around 70Gb free space so I'd be surprised if it needs 30 seconds to save the file...
I'll have a look at the Task Manager to see if I can spot what's being used during these 30 seconds...

ReggieKowalski ( ) posted Mon, 15 July 2024 at 11:57 AM

ReggieKowalski posted at 11:42 AM Mon, 15 July 2024 - #4487377

RedPhantom posted at 7:09 AM Mon, 15 July 2024 - #4487367

Many thanks for replying. I've had a look at these files in the render cache, they're around 6-7 Mb. My C: drive is an SSD with around 70Gb free space so I'd be surprised if it needs 30 seconds to save the file...
I'll have a look at the Task Manager to see if I can spot what's being used during these 30 seconds...
I've made a new render and watched the Task Manager Performance levels throughout:

During the render, the CPU is at 100% for the full 5 minutes
The GPU stays around 15% during this time also

After the render, when I select Preview the CPU hits 10% for 30 seconds whilst I'm waiting,
There is a tiny spike - for about 1 second - on the C: SSD - this must be when the Render Cache is being saved

So it doesn't look like a problem with a slow drive.

Do you (or does anyone else) have this wait after selecting Preview after a render?

Y-Phil ( ) posted Mon, 15 July 2024 at 12:47 PM · edited Mon, 15 July 2024 at 12:47 PM

One thing that I've remarked over time, whatever the version of Poser, when it comes to its use on any Windows platform. 
This platform has never been and will probably never be really cool with any interpreted language, and Python is one of them.
This nasty slowing-down effect, for no apparent reason, becomes more and more visible as long as days are passing along.
Probably the result of Micro$oft inefficiency at correctly managing the ressources (memory fragmentation for example).

Shutting down Win10 has no effect at this point: to restart faster, it kind of reloads itself in a more or less equivalent state. Not as precise and complete as hibernation but that's the case. To check this: start the task manager (right-click on any free space on the taskbar), change its interface to advanced, if needed activate the performance tab and look down:

6X1DrwE6a5Hc8dsPKoslKzSIoNAv6aR7gD7eXsTn.png

In my example: I've just restarted Windows 2 hours ago.
In order to re-init this, you must reboot it, which is different from off-on.
In my case, the processor is an old one, so that some heavy scenes are becoming a nightmare after 5 days.

eAHcUEph4Dw6Hj28id2h7Qnu1q9uJcsLgVGynhvA.png

Note that this does not affect only Poser. Even the browsers, especially on fully dynamic pages, may become totally unusable.
Funny case: when I was still employed, one of our biggest customers called me to explain that their web-based client application was running fine one all computers, except one. Upon checking its operating time: 157 days!!! wow, even if the lady was correctly shutting down her PC each days.

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

Offie56 ( ) posted Wed, 31 July 2024 at 6:25 AM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 6:26 AM

Hi 

I have the same problem and contacted the poser support. After a lot of suggestions with no results they closed the ticket. This problem tunes my nuts. It is defenitely a bug, because Poaser 11 pro does it not!! I believe it has to do with the texture cache. Poser 13 loads all textures again and again if you switch between rendering and working screen.

I hate it...sometimes more than 30 seconds:-(

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 31 July 2024 at 6:53 AM

OT but in OP's firefly render settings I'm seeing something peculiar there with the pixel sample settings. I don't think I've seen, in all my years, anyone use a setting above 10 for those settings, I myself have never gone past 8. Bagginsbill would typically use 6 or 7, IIRC, for final production render.

Perhaps the OP is also aware that setting the min shading rate to .10 in render settings will only show an improvement in detail if all actors are likewise set at .10 in their properties. The render settings value will only work if it matches each actors individual setting, it isn't an override. The actor properties value is what will be used during render. So you would have to go into every body part of your figure's properties and change from the default 0.20 to .10. This can get very tedious, I myself use a script to make the scene global changes in all actors if I want to use a value other than the default 0.20

You also will find that setting your Post Filter Type to Sinc and Post Filter Size to 2 will result in crisper more detailed renders.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.