Thu, Oct 3, 12:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 4:54 pm)

Subject: Well, I opened my laptop, as I started a four hour flight...

MoNeart ( ) posted Tue, 02 July 2024 at 1:10 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 12:23 PM

And was looking forward to digging into Poser 13. Except I guess I had not opened it in a while and saw this error. No internet on Avelo airlines...

I hate software that does this, for precisely this reason. I think I will stick with Blender.

6tLpFcM46mfUXeCFjTMYtHXFrYffgDH3NzLoK7B4.png

RFreise ( ) posted Tue, 02 July 2024 at 1:47 PM

Same here. They need to do away with that outdated call home function that does nothing but irritate users

ShaneNewville ( ) posted Wed, 31 July 2024 at 3:54 PM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 3:56 PM
MoNeart posted at 1:10 PM Tue, 2 July 2024 - #2988380

And was looking forward to digging into Poser 13. Except I guess I had not opened it in a while and saw this error. No internet on Avelo airlines...

I hate software that does this, for precisely this reason. I think I will stick with Blender.

Ahh.  yea.  Wish they'd do away with that method.  Ive had this happen in times of need too.   That's why I always keep a copy of Poser 2014 or Poser Pro 7 on hand

Previs Dummies 2

MoNeart ( ) posted Wed, 31 July 2024 at 10:06 PM

I opened a support ticket, they changed my offline duration to 1 year or something to help keep this from happening again.

ShaneNewville ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2024 at 4:45 PM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 4:49 PM

MoNeart posted at 10:06 PM Wed, 31 July 2024 - #4487926

I opened a support ticket, they changed my offline duration to 1 year or something to help keep this from happening again.

nice nice.  I wonder why its not this way from the get go.  I just got the popup again when I tried to work offline in Poser 12. haha.  Its only been a few days ( maybe about a week. )

Its kind of sad that legitimate users are the ones that have to deal with it.

Previs Dummies 2

nerd ( ) posted Mon, 05 August 2024 at 4:52 PM
Forum Moderator

"Its kind of sad that legitimate users are the ones that have to deal with it."

Me too. I wish I didn't have to carry a house key or keep my car locked sadly that's the world we live in.

And, yeah. Locks are for honest people.

bwldrd ( ) posted Mon, 05 August 2024 at 6:27 PM · edited Mon, 05 August 2024 at 6:28 PM
Online Now!

nerd posted at 4:52 PM Mon, 5 August 2024 - #4488081

Me too. I wish I didn't have to carry a house key or keep my car locked sadly that's the world we live in.

Umm sorry, to me that is a dumb point/argument.. As you said, you carry a key, you have usage access.  No need to call your insurance and ask them to unlock your car so you can drive today, or your mortgage company to unlock your doors to use your home (at least not yet anyhow). 

I can understand a need to have verification, once, for proof of purchase (like with ken1171's scripts), but after that, really?  If you can have poser download new splash screens (which I mentioned before I didn't approve of), I beleive you could have it download a token of proof of purchase if really wanted to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider me insane if you wish, but is your reality any better?

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Fri, 09 August 2024 at 7:26 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

MoNeart posted at 10:06 PM Wed, 31 July 2024 - #4487926

No, they need to dump this call home bs!!!
Poser's popularity is sinking like led.
expensive,
way behind modern standards in handling,
inferior render quality
and calling home issues.
Poser has become pure failure.

ShaneNewville ( ) posted Sat, 10 August 2024 at 9:56 AM · edited Sat, 10 August 2024 at 10:04 AM
"Umm sorry, to me that is a dumb point/argument"

Its fine to disagree and communicate that, but please do so respectfully.  The people running things have a lot on their shoulders and have to make big decisions.   We can discuss hot topics like scholars and philosophers right? 

Let me share an insane example of what I'm grateful Poser does not do:
Clip Studio Paint gives zero grace period.  No internet, no service. Instant loss of access for the perpetual license.  So even though its popular, think twice about making that your tool of choice for art or textures if you plan to get work done on vacation or while traveling.  You'll be out of luck.

But back to Poser I do have to wonder what the reason was for dropping the old activation method.   We used be able to login, see a list of machines Poser was activated on and it prevented too many activations if any attempts were made.  Did something happen?  Was it not enough?   But also if that's not something to discuss publicly for security reasons i understand.

If I had one request (while the current method is present), it would be for the default period be extended to 1 month
But additionally, if Poser has not been booting up at all within that period, may at least give 24 hours to find a spot to connect to before completely cutting it off.

Previs Dummies 2

nerd ( ) posted Sat, 10 August 2024 at 3:41 PM
Forum Moderator

The old activation system was run by Nalperion and we dropped it because it was expensive and getting more expensive every year. Yes it had cool features but I don't want Poser users paying more for features they really don't want. There's also the trust issue with 3rd parties having access to user data. The current system is simpler yes but it's also entirely in-house.

It does have a grace period but it's limited and it's also silent. We can probably add a warning that it's running out of time to refresh the activation.

ShaneNewville ( ) posted Sat, 10 August 2024 at 7:31 PM · edited Sat, 10 August 2024 at 7:33 PM
nerd posted at 3:41 PM Sat, 10 August 2024 - #4488284

The old activation system was run by Nalperion and we dropped it because it was expensive and getting more expensive every year. Yes it had cool features but I don't want Poser users paying more for features they really don't want. There's also the trust issue with 3rd parties having access to user data. The current system is simpler yes but it's also entirely in-house.

It does have a grace period but it's limited and it's also silent. We can probably add a warning that it's running out of time to refresh the activation.

Oh i see.  Yea having a 3rd party does raise some security concerns.  I think the biggest problem is the surprise when its at the worst time (no internet access). Some kind of warning would be nice, esp for newcomers who are not aware of it yet.

Previs Dummies 2

JimTS ( ) posted Thu, 22 August 2024 at 3:32 PM

Does that $39.95 usb stick do the license check w/o internet?

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

So is that TTFN or TANSTAAFL?

RFreise ( ) posted Thu, 22 August 2024 at 5:31 PM

Just do away with the call-home function as in reality, it's useless

ShaneNewville ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2024 at 1:56 AM
JimTS posted at 3:32 PM Thu, 22 August 2024 - #4488640

Does that $39.95 usb stick do the license check w/o internet?

I was just wondering about that myself,

Previs Dummies 2

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.