Tue, Oct 1, 2:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Spline or Vertex

benney ( ) posted Tue, 30 July 2024 at 7:44 AM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 11:39 PM

I know this may sound like a daft question, but if i want to create a simple model that can be created in either the Spline or vertex modeler. Which one of these would use the less CPU. The reason I ask is because I am creating a complex scene and need to keep the CPU usage down as low as I can. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

headwax. ( ) posted Tue, 30 July 2024 at 5:45 PM

Guessing spline. Maybe experiment. Model an example in spline, then copy and paste it ( not duplicate it) and convert one instance to mesh. Then compare the two sizes eg when you save them. That might shed some light, maybe not. Doesn't take into account eg uv texturing etc. 

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Thu, 01 August 2024 at 10:02 PM

sort of depends, spline is actually worse using the Octane render plugin as it converts it to triangulated mesh anyway and is often massive as very smoothed

not to mention you need to use a suitable UVW projection function to texture it

most people are not using Octane though to be fair

YouTube Channel

Dreaming Kitty Channel

Tom R. Toe

My ArtyFarty AI channel

benney ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2024 at 5:26 AM

I did try the earlier suggestion of converting it into a vertex model and then I checked out the result. A massive YUK! It had turned it into nothing but a triangulated mash of which there was no way I would model like that "I always use quads in my modeling" and so I knew the vertex model would show as a larger model than the spline. As far as rendering goes, have never heard of the "Octane plugin".. what is it and where do i get it from?

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2024 at 3:21 PM

Otoy but it's subscription only now

I bought it almost a decade ago, you need a Nvidia card and not sure what's supported now, I know my older version OR4 will not support cards much later than my 2080Ti

YouTube Channel

Dreaming Kitty Channel

Tom R. Toe

My ArtyFarty AI channel

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.