Thu, Oct 3, 12:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 4:54 pm)

Subject: Is there a way to get more than 8 lights in a poser preview scene?

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2024 at 10:27 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 12:16 PM

I am working on scenes using the Comic Book Preview, and as such I'm running up against a limitation of using 8 lights in a scene. Is there a way to go beyond that limitation?

Here's the source for the OpenGL limitation:

PoserSoftware.com/documentation

In case the link doesn't work, here's the text:

Lights add color to your scene, reveal cues in forms, enhance muscle contours, set moods, cast shadows, etc. Good lighting is a key element of getting your scene to look right when you render it. Lights work in renderings and in the Lit Wireframe and Flat Shaded preview modes (refer to The Display Controls and Menu for information about display styles). You can use as many lights as you need in your scene, with the only limitation being your system’s resources. Poser improves the OpenGL preview of lights in your scenes. It automatically selects the eight brightest lights to display in the real-time OpenGL preview. You can also manually select which eight lights to preview in the Light Properties palette (see Light Properties).

PS: I have absolutely ZERO interest in other types of renders (I'm working with line art illustrations), so please keep that in mind when you respond.

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 
Alienware m16 R2 Laptop | Windows 11 Home | 64GB RAM |  Intel Core Ultra 7 155H 1.40 GHz | Nvidia RTX 4070 Laptop GPU 8GB 4608 CUDA Cores
mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com   |   Poser Noir Comics Tutorial   |   Illustrations Honored by Renderosity

Richard60 ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2024 at 10:57 PM

The eight light limit is in opengl and as such is not possible to get around directly.  About the only thing you can do is render the first 8 lights and then select then next 8 lights and finally composite the images together.

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

mmitchell_houston ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2024 at 11:23 PM
Richard60 posted at 10:57 PM Sat, 24 August 2024 - #4488734

The eight light limit is in opengl and as such is not possible to get around directly.  About the only thing you can do is render the first 8 lights and then select then next 8 lights and finally composite the images together.

I thought as much, but it never hurts to ask. Thanks.

- - - - - - - - - -
System: 
Alienware m16 R2 Laptop | Windows 11 Home | 64GB RAM |  Intel Core Ultra 7 155H 1.40 GHz | Nvidia RTX 4070 Laptop GPU 8GB 4608 CUDA Cores
mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com   |   Poser Noir Comics Tutorial   |   Illustrations Honored by Renderosity

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2024 at 5:47 AM

But why would you want to use more than 8 lights in a scene?  

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2024 at 10:30 AM
Online Now!

That would be my question too.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.