Sat, Sep 28, 6:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 5:59 pm)

Subject: Difference between Poser 12 and 13?

Jade-dragen ( ) posted Tue, 06 August 2024 at 4:30 PM · edited Sat, 28 September 2024 at 6:30 PM

I was going to try and upgrade to a later version. I have used Poser since around version 8. Can anyone with some experience tell me the difference between Poser 12 and Poser 13?

Rhia474 ( ) posted Tue, 06 August 2024 at 8:20 PM · edited Tue, 06 August 2024 at 8:21 PM

Try this:

https://www.posersoftware.com/article/575/unleash-your-creativity-with-poser-13s-new-features-and-tools

For tl;dr:

New Features in Poser 13

• Updated SuperFly render engine utilizing the latest open source Cycles engine.  GPU renders of complex scenes benchmark at under half the time required for the same scene on Poser 12.
  • New Post FX options for rendered images including: denoise, exposure, saturation, gamma, brightness, contrast, bloom, blur and pixelate.
  • Updated animation rendering system for better productivity rendering movie sequences.
  • GPU rendering on remote nodes with Queue Manager allows creation of a powerful render farm on your local network
  • New app launcher with Recent and Start Up scene templates
  • Updated Walk Designer and Talk Designer for better compatibility with all figure types and support of imported libraries.
  • Improved adaptive sampling for faster renders.
  • Improved Intel Open Image Denoise (OIDN) that uses AI to denoise SuperFly renders.
  • HDRI environment rendering for SuperFly.
  • Enhanced shadow catcher and included HDRI environments enable realistic 360-degree VR-like environments inside Poser
  • Improved morph and weight map copying system makes creating clothing easier.
  • Streamlined installer, less than a 1/4 the size of previous version.
  • Improved included content delivery using Poser's content library. One click installation of included and store assets.  Over 25 GB of updated and re-organized content from Poser versions over the years.
  • Mac version coming soon as included update with Metal GPU support and M1/M2 support through Rosetta.
  • New online help system works in your web browser with translation & bookmarks.
  • Downloadable PDF version of the manual for off-line reading

Jade-dragen ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2024 at 2:46 PM

thanks so much; I was actually looking for feedback from folks who upgraded and their actual experiences with it..like known bugs or quirks;  you know ___ doesn't render as well as 13 or 12 or.. "has issues on windows 11" .. or "they moved, x__ fill in the blank".  So far I read one review where someone stated you must have internet for 13; things along those lines. Again thanks.  Sometimes older versions are more stable.. you know the old "if it ain't broke"; I typically stopped being an early adopter of many things for that reason.  Some of Corel's software comes to mind where I have found older versions better than newer, etc.  I have had nothing but issues from the version 11, at least where it comes to installation; at one point, I received a blue screen.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2024 at 11:08 PM

Okay. I upgraded from P12 to P13. It worked seamlessly. It renders a lot faster than P12 ever did. I had to of course relink my runtime, but apart from that, there were no issues on my new, powerful machine. I suggest you check minimum specifications and make sure especially your graphics card plus powerful enough and has PotiX capabilities. If it was already good for P12, you should be seamless.

Does that help?

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 08 August 2024 at 12:41 PM

If I remember correctly, between both version there's quite a bunch of nodes that have been corrected, which can lead to a few surprises, such as stronger glossiness, especially using Cycles.
Besides this, the PhysicalNode has been greatly enhanced

FsKJGo3ItOcSqYbPtvSHEHTDmoHLA5iiD5f1HMrL.png

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

Jade-dragen ( ) posted Sat, 10 August 2024 at 12:32 PM · edited Sat, 10 August 2024 at 12:39 PM

wow thanks y'all I so appreciate this!   I spent the better part of a month trying to get my 11 to work again and finally gave up! Humble Bundle has Version 12 for sale right now for 25$ but based upon your feedback it sounds like upgrading to 13 is where it is at.  I invested in an RTX 4070 i9 13900 intel laptop (I currently use a lot) and RTX 3060 Ryzen 9 5900x AMD desktop I am working on--I am not really sure how well Poser and AMD (new to AMD) will play together but we'll see.  It has been nearly 6 years since I actually rendered anything with Poser due to all of the blue screens, crashes and and now serial upgrade issues.  I am so glad to see Poser is receiving some love as I find it much more fun/user friendly to use than the "other" software out there.

Thanks again!!

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 10 August 2024 at 12:55 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

I have a Ryzen 7 and both 12 and 13 work fine. I use my RTX 2060 for rendering whenever I can though. It's so much faster. I'm sure either of your will be even faster if you use superfly.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 10 August 2024 at 1:09 PM

My AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D does perfectly fine with 13, though I use OptiX with this RTX4070 Ti. The rendering is fast and seamless.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sun, 18 August 2024 at 7:13 PM

My Ryzen 9 5900X also does great with P13. I also use Optix on my RTX 3070.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

Jade-dragen ( ) posted Sat, 07 September 2024 at 12:35 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 7:13 PM Sun, 18 August 2024 - #4488513

My Ryzen 9 5900X also does great with P13. I also use Optix on my RTX 3070.

This is good to know...

I wanted to stop by and thank y'all again folks, I ended up buying version 13 and am excited to fire this up!!

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Mon, 09 September 2024 at 5:47 PM

I got a new machine a month or so ago and had upgraded to Poser 13. Render preset OptiX High is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fast. I couldn't use it on my previous computer, so I can't compare, but my renders are faster than they've ever been (and I've used Poser since version 4).

W11,Intel i9-14900KF @ 3.20GHz, 64.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, GeForce GTX 4070 Ti SUPER, 16GB. 

Old lady hobbyist.

All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."

Rhia474 ( ) posted Mon, 09 September 2024 at 7:10 PM
VedaDalsette posted at 5:47 PM Mon, 9 September 2024 - #4489172

I got a new machine a month or so ago and had upgraded to Poser 13. Render preset OptiX High is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fast. I couldn't use it on my previous computer, so I can't compare, but my renders are faster than they've ever been (and I've used Poser since version 4).

I was shocked too. I threw scenes at this machine that took overnight with the old one, and it took like 15 minutes. New tech combined with new tech is magic indeed.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Tue, 10 September 2024 at 7:35 AM

VedaDalsette posted at 5:47 PM Mon, 9 September 2024 - #4489172

Same for me: my PC died, after having been used 16 hours a day during 4 years and a half (I was working at home at the time). During the week I waited and finished building up my new PC, I tried Poser on my Mac mini M2.

Lool: a single character, with clothes and hair: 2 minutes, and when my new monster was up and running with the 4070: less than 12 seconds....

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.