Mon, Sep 30, 5:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / MarketPlace Showcase

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

MarketPlace Showcase F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 4:44 am)

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum. The Showcase Forum and Gallery are intended for all commercial related postings by active Renderosity MarketPlace Vendors only. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review in greater detail the various art products, software and resource site subscriptions available for purchase in the Renderosity MarketPlace.

Subject: Blade Runner- 4 Sector Quadrant 3 in Process

state808 ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2024 at 12:43 PM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 5:20 AM
Hey everyone!
I am going to take you behind the scenes a bit into how I'm making the 4th Sector series.
This is a shot of everything so far- Quadrants 1-3

Forum Image
This gives you a good idea how everything fits so nicely together!
All that's left is Quadrant 4. I'm in the process of texturing Quadrant 3 right now.

One thing I have really enjoyed about this project is studying the designs of Syd Mead and looking at architecture. With Quad 3, there really aren't references that are very useful, so most of this I had to invent from what I've learned so far.

Here is an apartment building that I think of as influenced by the same designers that created Deckard's apartment. I didn't use the same tile motif- but created something more simple and utilitarian.

Forum Image

If you notice those pillars there- they are very iconic to Blade Runner! I had to make sure they were JUST RIGHT and that turned out to be a lot of fun, though I had to learn some new tricks to pull it off.

The main building, next to these apartments, I'm thinking of as a mall. This is because I translated the japanese signs you can see in the film and they say things like "pens, bags, golf shoes"
(this is from the film)
Forum Image

This photo is one of the primary references there is for this section of the "city"/ film set. Not much to go on!
So here's what I came up with. I decided to make the shape of the building be more unusual.

Forum Image

My thought was that most of the buildings we see are typical "older" buildings from the 1890s- 1940s with a lot of "retrofitting" done to them and that this building (and the apartments) would be more of an example of the contemporary architecture of that time. In that sense, there's kind of an echo of the lines of the pillars to the lines of the building structure.

I haven't added the garbage bags, traffic lights, parking meters etc yet....but this gives you an idea at least. 
Here are some shots that would show you a bit of what the sectors combined are looking like!

hS1ELgCC4Lwt1kO6EVxySHu2pRcGlJ2hlVtDJJO0.pngBQ9gdwk6ePURCxfqf55z9Va3u9FZ3EggNC7r1nmf.png

If you made it this far- thank you! I really appreciate your support and any feedback you have for me.

state808 ( ) posted Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:35 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:35 PM

I'm finishing up now and wanted to show you the texturing...

Here is an overall view of the quadrant

WeR6wFiK6Q6GdU6EjwUrazXhfUwZVp4ehMw6bkBv.jpg

The "holes" in the pavement are the location for the other quadrants

This time around, I decided to experiment with putting some of the neon behind glass and I really like the effect....so I plan to keep doing that for quadrant 4!

vUSqojZE6Bt349FFfJVqmnS4DqltcMgz8KiTM2bw.jpg

I created some japanese style vending machines that were a lot of fun to make!

0nxUt580h5aI4h4isIydAdZbJfDGS8xrtnTWM7yf.jpg039K4FIdR1DXo4voQXD09XsXVYMxNS8S2LjfiH2O.jpgkv5krEd3qtj1AVSLHkywkDNmW5K4nHupjL1WnUQp.jpgZESCn8dKI3kF8OPDyCS2tDyHQu7GTp2J17hC7rBE.jpg

state808 ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2024 at 9:12 AM · edited Sat, 28 September 2024 at 9:12 AM

Here are some promo shots I'm working on before release....

I'm trying to get better at making these, so if you have any advice or suggestions, I'd be grateful

OcGeQllVLjrD5UVZzjU31f43lKniyZQH17qinJyQ.jpg

DX2NAhUuWAdye5FKsjGk67Fsi4Kyu4NmzUDEL8do.jpg

k5cVlcqAeJd5M7LUtL9eo9vAMWlwsx3hz2vLPUCJ.jpg

M9ZX6WYWmGOjYw9A4XaF1zQCH76rgCIGunFJykBP.jpg

QWuPZcNujj1JIGFdidNvGTQMtGb8qCn5NwiGMo3v.jpg

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.