Sat, Sep 21, 6:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Modellers poll: What's your favorite 3D package?

nfredman ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 11:44 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 6:33 AM

Hi, folks! i wanted to check with our props, clothing, and hair makers to see what 3D package they use for modelling. Who favors 3DS Max? Who uses LightWave? And so on. And why do you like yours better?

soulhuntre ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 12:20 PM

I use Max for Polygon modelling and most of my quick stuff. I am starting to use Rhino to get a handle ont he Nurbs stuff though I might try the Nurbs surfaces built into Max. I like Rhino a lot... but I still go to Max when I need to get it done fast.

jamball77 ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 1:04 PM

Lightwave for everything. It's a very mature package Ver 7 just launched and I have to say you can tell it's a version 7. Very stable, very feature rich. As far as free modelers go I have to say I am very impressed with AMAPI 4.51, the free version. I just can't see shelling out even $100 for Rhino or other excellent packages if all you want to do is make models for Poser. If you want to render high end stuff again Lightwave. You get an unlimited number of render nodes and can even render over the internet (very dooable if you and fiends have cable or DSL) Max limits you to 3 nodes last I checked. Max doesn't even have a decent render engine of it's own. You really need to upgrade to the Mental Ray Plugin Renderer or Renderman (Pixar's renderer) Plugins? check out FLAY.com you can get a TON of free plugins for Lightwave. Not to mention that LW comes with features that others don't even offer. Not even Maya. A lot of people are even modeling in Maya and then rendering out in LW. I got the PPP so that I could render out my Poser animations in LW. I think it's a popular and well founded conception that if you want to develop games go with Max. If you want hi end special effects and photoreal renders go with LW. But what about the final product? How about Titanic? Good enough? Got a lot of Academy Awards for its special effects all done in LW.

dolly ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 1:30 PM

i use amapi 6 for all i make as its very easy to use and gives great results cheers dolly

thip ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 1:49 PM

Amapi and Truespace. Both great apps, both available free in earlier versions (mag cover disks).

Valandar ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 1:51 PM

I use straight Rhino. There is absolutely nothing I can do in any other package I cannot do faster and easier, and in many cases FAR more accurately, in Rhino.

Remember, kids! Napalm is Nature's Toothpaste!

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 4:20 PM

We use AutoCad, why, well we both have engineering background for architecture mostly and mechanical design, we are fanatical on precision and detail because we were both in the field. AutoCAD is mostly engineering software and we both love it. The acurracy is amazing. And we both learned AutoCAD around 16 years ago, once you learn a software it can be real hard to switch to other 3D modeling software, the difference in terminology can put you in a tale spin. We have breifly tried others and always return to AutoCAD. Sharen

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 4:44 PM

I use Max. I also don't do NURBs, but Max sould be able to make ugly NURB mesh just as good as other modelers. Max is a little pricey though, I've heard a lot of good things about Rhino. Alias isn't bad either, I have used that, if you have $50,000 to drop - maybe next year for me... ;-)

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 7:28 PM

Amapi 4.51 looks really nice...I have it from 3D World's cd. If I could figure out how to use it, I think I could do nice things with it. But the interface is a little, shall we say, different? LOL. I may have to pick your brain dolly ;). Laurie

Bill B ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 8:10 PM

I use Rhino and have been using for about 8 mo. It rocks I use it in my line of work as a toy sculptor and prototyper for the toy industry. Also I am learing Light wave 7 I am really liking it alot and will serve as my organic modeler and I will keep using Rhino for more mechnical desine.

Thorgrim ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 8:29 PM

I like Max for doing stuff from scratch. I'm more comfortable with its CAD like interface. I also find that the sphere of atraction tool in RayDream studio very handy for oraganic morph targets. (Of course magents do sort of the same thing and you don't have to leave Poser). The only other 3D package I own is Animation Master. I think you could do great things with this package but I seem to have a problem getting my head around spline based modeling. I don't really have any experience in any other packages so I can't really say if they are better than the ones I've mention or not. Thorgrim

Anzan ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 8:42 PM

Anyone know where someone could find one of those free earlier versions of Amapi?

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 9:10 PM

It was in an earlier issue of 3D World Magazine. I don't think you could find it anymore. Maybe you could go to www.3dworldmag.com and see if you can't get a back issue? Laurie

Papu ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 9:26 PM

Attached Link: http://bakhter.com/html/main/amapi4.html

I love Amapi (and it's free too ;) Amapi 4.15 can be downloaded for example from [bakhter.com](http://bakhter.com/html/main/amapi4.html).

brycetech ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 10:01 PM

amapi see: www.staigerland.com for tutorials www.critical-depth.com for a free 4.15 version and my site: www.brycetech.com (www.posertech.com) for examples of what you can do with it. amapi takes a bit to wrap your mind around its use, but it rocks. And the new version 6.1 will stand right next to lightwave's modeler. Theres a big difference between 2000 bucks and 200. BT

TMGraphics ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 11:08 PM

file_229233.jpg

I like Rhino, its easy to use with a fast learning curve. I like to render things in Poser with global lighting. Just finished this pic for the Rhino contest. Modeled in Rhino, texture in UVMapper and Photoshop, rendered in Poser. TMG

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 11:24 PM

Cool! Didn't know you could still download it. That's great :) Laurie

Photopium ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 11:28 PM

I can't resist the following smartass comment: "My favorite 3-D Package? Hmmm...I guess DAZ's Michael. He's got a great package!" Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week... -WTB

TMGraphics ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 11:30 PM

ROTFL TMG

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 11:33 PM

LOL :oD Laurie

7/8'sIrish ( ) posted Sun, 04 November 2001 at 2:33 AM

Amapi 6, Carrara studio, and Zbrush Patrick

Carmelo ( ) posted Mon, 05 November 2001 at 2:33 AM

I use Nendo and Cinema 4DXL. Carmelo Lopez

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.