Wed, Oct 9, 10:14 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:55 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Substituting Body Parts?/X-posted

MikeJ ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2001 at 7:35 AM · edited Tue, 13 August 2024 at 6:32 PM

How big of a deal is it to take the head from one character and put it on another? a head from one figure onto the body of a different one, specifically. I don't mean just in having a head from one invisible, and a visible one superimposed on it. I'd like to have a whole new character, in like the way that the Viki 2 PF is actually a V2 head on a P4 woman body. Would I need to do a reassembly in a modeling program, and then rebuild a hierarchy, or can it be done without new modeling, and only with the .cr2 files themselves? Are there any tutorials for doing it anywhere? Thanks to anyone who can help. :)

bloodsong ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2001 at 9:20 AM

heyas; you should try trav's tutorial for adding arms; i think that is similar to what you want to do. check the tutorials here too for head replacement. you could load your base (body) figure, make the head invisible (i know, i know, just keep following along), then bring in the head figure and position it so the head is on the body. then export the body/head combo you want. now, this will leave an unwelded seam between the head and neck. you can fix this in a modelling app by welding the head to the neck, then cutting them apart again. you may have to change the number of vertices in one or the other to get all the points welded. better not change the head, or none of the morphs will work. speaking of morphs.... if you had to move the head geometry, or scale it, etc, none of the old morphs will work any more. they'll all try to position/scale the head back where it used to be. you can export each morph as a new morph target from the head in the new location. do NOT use 'export as morph target,' as this will re-zero the head location as it exports. once you have one figure, you can use the base figure's cr2 for all the joints and such. theoretically, you could get away with just editing the cr2 of the base figure. first, you would have to figure out (via the invisible head and position second figure routine) the offset for the head you are adding. then you would have to do the ol' point piece of geometry to another obj file trick in the cr2, and include the storage offset. (people tell me that's what that does.) then you could throw the morphs from the head figure's head into the base figure's head, but you probably want to keep the base figure head's joint parameters. then there's always the question of which eyes youre going to use. ;) and the seam probably wouldnt weld in this case, too.

MikeJ ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2001 at 8:51 AM

O....K.... Clear as mud....I'll remember this. ;) Thanks!

pragask ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2001 at 4:06 AM

About substituting body parts ... ( Warning - may be technically a breach of the oem licensing agreement ) 1. a new head with matching vertices at the attachment has to be created . 2. the old head has to be deleted from the obj file . 3. the new head has to be stitched or welded to the decapitated figure . 4. Save the new obj file in the Runtime:Geometries folder under a new name . 5. Edit the 'figureRes' references in a cr2 file of the old figure ( located in the Runtime:Libraries:Character folder ) to point to the new obj file ; and save it under a new name . Voila - you've got a new working figure in the figures library in Poser . The old head morfs, if any, will not work anymore . nb - step 1 is particularly tedious . - steps 2 and 3 can be done with John Wind's - Composer - a Java based application available free somewhere on the net .

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.