Thu, Sep 19, 4:02 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:00 pm)

Subject: For Vendors of Those Who Post Free Stuff...Just a Suggestion...

Exotica ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 3:38 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:02 AM

When writing your readmes it's helpful if you give it a distinctive name besides just "readme" as it always overwrites whatever readme came before it. This is a problem if you happen to need that previous readme for something. Also, it helps the user find it easier if they need it for something such as giving the contributor credit or looking for instructions or what have you. Just a suggestion. Thanks.

PabloS ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 3:54 PM

Include a thumbnail. Usually I'll remember to save it from the web site but I find 'em useful to help me remember, and browse, the collection of downloads.

markdc ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 3:56 PM

It's also helpful if you put legal use info. Some people do, some don't. Then I don't have to bother you with my emails...

shadownet ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 4:50 PM

I agree. Also, since most times a rsr or png is included with the (Poser) item, why not put some text on it indicating who made it? Why? So I can remember a month from now whose item it is. It takes up too much space to give everyone there own folder in the libraries and finding the original zip or readme I have archived can be such a pain. Just a thought.

Ironbear ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 5:32 PM

I don't have a lot of freebies posted, but something I started with Dangerous Curves was to have the documents readme's etc go to a folder of their own named after the character or package. That way they can befound, and people like me that keep the origional zips can just find the folder and delete it if they want to. [Hey - I have the zip, I don't need this ;)] Is that a good solution? Or would people rather have just a named readme rather than all the doc's in a folder of their own?

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

Exotica ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 6:00 PM

As far as my readmes I give them a name similar to the freebie or package I'm selling. I also used to have them unzip to the desktop so people could delete them or move them to a folder of their choice. Now that Rosity requires all products sold at the Marketplace to have the readme unzip into Poser 4, we have the problem with overwriting if we don't have distinctive names for the readmes. As far as location, we know that for the most part anything we purchase from Rosity will have the readme unzip to Poser 4 but as far as freebies it may end up just about anywhere. I get a lot of readmes that unzip to a folder called "Readmes." That's pretty handy as long as they have distinctive names. Probably the safest thing for freestuff is just to not have it unzip to anywhere but to give it a distinctive name. That way the user can place it where they want. Good ideas about the thumb, legal info, etc. too.

shadownet ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 6:07 PM

I try to keep one folder for all my readmes and then rename the readmes and stick them there. It would help if I could skip the renaming part and just unzip it straight to the folder. Ofcourse, if the readme is not titled to that I know to what item it went, it can be a real pain trying to pair the item up with the right credit info a week, a month, a year later.

AprilYSH ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 7:06 PM

ok so rosity is making it so they go straight in the main folder c:program filesposer 4 ??? that would be so messy! i'd hate it!!! and i would also hate zips that create a folder just for the readme... sheesh... the only folder i let people create are geometries subfolders and only if that person is likely to supply a lot of obj files (eg poserworld) i place objs in their logical spots and edit the library files straight away to point to where i actually put them... i like readmes to go where the most important part of a package will end up, eg if it's a texture package i would place the readme in the texture folder where the jpgs end up, if it's a new mesh i place the readmes where the objs go, etc. if a package has many importan parts (eg a package that has objs and textures) then i save two copies of the readmes! and yes, name the readmes properly, preferrably with the creator's name in there as well, like April_P4LightSkin.jpg would have an accompanying readme named April_P4LightSkin_readme.txt saved in the same folder. i spend more time collecting freebies and then cleaning up poser folders than making scenes %)

[ Store | Freebies | Profile ]

a sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantoness,
do more bewitch me than when art is too precise in every part

bloodsong ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 7:24 PM

heyas; even if you make a new directory for your readme, still name it something besides readme.txt. i think daz started creating a readme directory under poser, for their stuff. i really dont care, as i usually throw the zip into winzip, read the txt, and then extract what i want, and leave the txt in the zip. then i know where to find it and what it goes with. but that's no excuse to keep naming them readme! i name mine the same as the zip file. ie: hatchie2.zip and hatchie2.txt.

MaxxArcher ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 8:04 PM

Ive got a few suggestions/requests that can be added to the list: - First one for Curious Labs: please change the installer scripts to let the user choose between entering the main destination folder themselves or have the installer do it for them as searching for "installed components" on multi volume 40/60+ Gbyte harddrives takes a lot of time. - If youre posting Pose or Facial Expression sets, only change parameters that refer to movement. Its quite "sad" to find a body/face completely changed after applying a pose/face, not to mention having to remove this info in mega pose sets yourself. - Always post the .RSR with library files. Non ProPack users have little to no use for .PNG files. - Please make sure to save library files with version info for stadard Poser, having to change 100+ pose files by hand because of ".. is a higher version, trying to load anyway" is quite tedious. - Try giving your poses unique names or use some kind of prefix instead of only 01, 02, ... etc. Combining set becomes much more easy, finding back poses too. - Keep names for tabs in the libary consistent, this way combined sets of CR2, PZ2... etc. can be found back much easier. - Try to give textures a unique and meaningful name; "BikiniBot.jpg" doesnt say much (there are a lot of those!), but for example "P4W_Red_Biker_Karen_MaxxA.jpg" tells me that Im dealing with a Red Bikershort texture for the P4 Woman character Karen by MaxxArcher. Add a sequence number if youve got more red textures for the Bikershort. With a list of 3000+ textures (and rapidly extending) this becomes a necessity. - Maybe Renderosity and her Vendors can agree to some naming convention as a standard quality issue. So far some practical suggestions, Maxx :-)

scifiguy ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 8:52 PM
  • Always post the .RSR with library files. Non ProPack users have little to no use for .PNG files. - Please make sure to save library files with version info for stadard Poser, having to change 100+ pose files by hand because of ".. is a higher version, trying to load anyway" is quite tedious. I don't have propack, but I don't think that's possible. If they have pro pack, it creates pngs not rsrs, and the file contains info that will give that stupid Poser "new version" message. Just don't extract the png at all...you'll have a shugging guy either way.

Ironbear ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 9:41 PM

A propack user can create an rsr with RSR converter from a 600x600 pict file render, and photoshop. It adds an extra step, but it's a little nicety to have both for us non pro pack owners.

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

Papu ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2001 at 11:24 PM

MaxxArcher, Daz installers have a cancel button in the "Searcing for installed components" thing, don't have to wait.

Bladesmith ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2001 at 1:00 AM

What bugs me is Cr2's pointing to the darnedest places.....geometries go in the geometries folder, not the libraries..... As for self installers, I detest them. My poser directory is not in C:Program Files, nor is anything else of importance. As of this moment, I have 8 different files named "sword1". We are artists, be creative. They are some really cool swords, though. PS, thanks for all the stuff anyway....8^)

Phantast ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2001 at 7:05 AM

... and don't try and muck about with the user's directory structure. I for one don't like having huge numbers of subdirectories each with one or two things in. Also, poses should not reference the hair (this almost always screws up).

Jim Burton ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2001 at 8:43 AM

Incidently, I almost always package my stuff with Zips inside Zips- Inside the base zip "french_maid_combined.zip will be a readme_first.zip that basicly says "read the other readme" and a "readme_frenchmaid.txt" with instructions (saidly lacking, I know) and finally a "French Maid.Zip" with all the embedded paths. The idea is the user can extract the first Zip to where ever, read the details, put the readme where they like and then extract the inside zip to Poser 4. It must work, I've never had any complaints! PS did anyone else with a custom Poser location have trouble with the Dina installer? It wants "Runtime" , not Poser 4 like all the rest, evidently.

Roy G ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2001 at 12:53 PM

One thing I like is when filing names are consistent with the exception of the extension. For example download a Neat thing and it?s in NeatThing.zip, Thumb is NeatThing.jpg, Readme is NeatThing.txt, Object file is NeatThing.obj, etc.

Ironbear ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2001 at 8:22 PM

I didn't Jim... and I tend to name my folders according to software category, rather than default paths.

• Monkeysmell

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.