Tue, Oct 22, 3:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: the Grouping Tool as a separate program...........

TheWolfWithin ( ) posted Fri, 30 November 2001 at 4:29 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:01 AM

as we're well aware of, the Grouping Tool in Poser leaves something to be desired......has anyone ever contemplated creating a (freeware.....hehehe) program that does the same thing?????? one that won't shut the lights off, drag like all hell, and generally annoy all involved?????? just a thought ;) perhaps Curious Labs would be kind enough to spit this one out for us.......... ;)

nyar1ath0tep ( ) posted Fri, 30 November 2001 at 4:50 PM

The group tool is like a vertex modeller, and there are already many vertex modellers available. But I would endorse the idea of a freebie, bare-bones, stand-alone group tool that was designed to work with Poser. As long as Poser doesn't become one of those plug-in programs, where it's necessary to buy one plug-in after another to stay up-to-speed.

jamball77 ( ) posted Fri, 30 November 2001 at 6:14 PM

Think about what you're saying a moment. Those plugins you so lovingly refer to. (You need a SDK to develop those by the way which poser will most likely never have) make it EASY for programmers to think about making companion programs. That's how programs like 3DMax became dominant and why others like Carerra became marginalized, orphaned. Pro Pack in essence makes Poser a PLUGIN for Lightwave and 3DMax and now Cinema4D. Otherwise programmers have to EAT all the development costs (their time, effort, sweat etc.) to give away freebies to people who think $20 is too much to pay for a tool that gives you hours of enjoyment, saves you a huge pain in the rump, and may even make you some money. I have bought nearly every tool that is available because I WANT to support it. I want more people to make Poser friendly tools. There are too few programmers in our community and we should be thankful for those we have. I think it is discouraging and somewhat insulting for someone to ask for a valuable tool and then say how about making it free. You know my toilets need scrubbing, why don't you come over to my house and scrub them. Oh yeah for your efforts why don't you do it FREE. Please think about what you are asking. Now, if you are offering 100s of hours of your time (that is what you are asking)for free, you're my hero. Otherwise I think that these kind of comments are demeaning and in poor taste.

ming ( ) posted Fri, 30 November 2001 at 7:59 PM

I don't think it's demeaning or in poor taste to ask, or even demand for a company to improve upon its product, especially when most improvements and support come from this community, and not Curious Labs.

jamball77 ( ) posted Fri, 30 November 2001 at 8:21 PM

ming the focus wasn't on CL it was on the independent programmers developing companion programs to replace Poser functionality. The group tool is notorious for poor performance. Sure go ahead and ding CL, they should improve. I just don't see the point in asking for someone to develop a real tool when you're unwilling to support it.

JeffH ( ) posted Fri, 30 November 2001 at 9:27 PM

You can do something very much like the grouping tool in UVmapper. Select a few polys and assign a material to them. -Jeff

Viomar ( ) posted Fri, 30 November 2001 at 9:41 PM

What?? The Grouping tool in Poser is perfect, easy to use,
and always gives the intended results on the first try! :-)

Yes, i'm kidding! But, after a while you get used to the
"hiccups" of it!

I actually sometimes find it easier & faster to use then
doing it in MAX...

I totally agree with you Jamball!! Been an Ex-Programmer myself, i understand what's involved in the creation of
any program, be it a tool or Full blown app! And they both
require lots of hours of coding, debugging, testing...

So Yes!! Support those Super programmers in this community!
For without the Steve Cox, David Wilmes, etc... Life in
PoserLand would be a lot "Grimmer"!! ;-)

Marco

neurocyber ( ) posted Fri, 30 November 2001 at 10:06 PM

If Lightwave 6.5 had a plug in to import and export OBJ files keeping all the naming scemes like RayDream 5.5(yuck) did then I'll pay for that plug in. I'd pay a lot for it. Right now Lw6.5 loses the names of the obj parts.:( Some one do that plug in and I'm first in line to get it. I've yet to find one at Flay or anywhere.

neurocyber ( ) posted Fri, 30 November 2001 at 10:11 PM

Yup programing is a lot of work. I tied PascalC back in the 80's and my brain still hurts from it. Guess it was not my cup of tea. Hats off the all code warriors. :)

thip ( ) posted Sat, 01 December 2001 at 3:51 AM

Steve Cox' UVmapper will work as a grouping tool. Dan Wilmes' CR2Edit is incorporating more and more OBJ handling tools, too, in addition to a ton of tools for all types of Poser files, so we have lots of "plug-ins" for Poser. Steve's UVmapper Pro is not going to be free, and Dan's CR2Edit's isn't either, but both are well worth the price. And, as jamball says, the essential reason for buying those things is to make sure the programmer can afford the time to make the product even better.

TheWolfWithin ( ) posted Sat, 01 December 2001 at 11:32 PM

just to clarify, before i become subject to who-knows-what........i was merely tossing the idea onto the table.......plenty of people here at R'osity have written and posted programs as freeware.......i thought that perhaps no one had yet given thought to this sort of application, so i brought it up.......i wasn't insinuating that anyone owes anyone, especially me, a freebie of any sort......just offering an idea, be it free or not.......and that's all i have to say about that.........

thip ( ) posted Sun, 02 December 2001 at 2:04 AM

No insinuations percieved, Wolfie! Personally, I'm just plugging two great programmers who actually don't need my plugging, as their tools speak for themselves. The non-pro version of UVmapper IS free, and you're right, there's plenty of freeware apps in freestuff. It's just that really good apps often seem to take really good time to do ;o) And BTW, the grouping tool works fine, if you "outflank" its weaknesses - I humbly invite you to have a look at http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=347959

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.