Fri, Oct 4, 5:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 4:27 pm)

Subject: Under Construction, and taking requests... (kinda long)

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 9:42 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 5:27 PM

Attached Link: http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~weaponsfactory/view_ss.pl?id=Mon%20Apr%2023%2016:44:26%202001

Hello; While I've been lurking in this forum for about a month, I figure that it's time to give back in exchange for all the free stuff I've been busy wearing out my ethernet card over.

I guess a bit of an intriduction is in order... Online, I've been building maps for Unreal Tournament for about two years ( examples at http://www.planetunreal.com/weaponsfactory ... one overall example image can be found at included link ), and before that for Quake2 ( http://www.captured.com/wfd/ ) Some maps have involved simple layouts, while others have been rather complex (like a 3/4-scale model of an RMS Titanic-like clone.) I've been dinking around with Bryce for awhile now, using it to make custom models for insertion into the maps...

However, I'd been getting a bit burned-out on the whole FPS gaming thing, and was frustrated by the limitations imposed by the game engines I'd been working in.

Now, I had only recently discovered, then purchased Poser (and it's the only reason I keep Windows on my laptop - I'm one of those Linux freaks you keep reading about), and even more recently found a decent and far less expensive (and Linux-usable) alternative to 3DS Max (ac3d, found at http://www.ac3d.org) -

So, if you've read this far, let me get to the meat of things. While I'm still learning the quirks of ac3d, I've found that between it and Bryce, I can do quite a bit in the way of rooms and structures, using Poser to apply the rather immense library of textures that I've collected over time (and suprisingly, very little of it is "industrial" in nature...)

Right now, I'm working on reproducing RMS Titanic's Grand Staircase, in Poser scale (however, due to lack of authentic artwork, I'll have to substitute the appropriate Maxfeld Parris prints instead.) ETA on this room should be two weeks or so, since I've already got most of the textures I'll need from the last rendition I did of it. Scale and curvature will be to scale. This will be more of a test run than anything else, and it'll go into the Free Stuff ocne I've tested it.

Once I get done with it, what else would you folks like to see in the way of scenery and settings? (esp. those who contribute heavily, since I owe you heavily :)

I know there's quite a few bedrooms out there (prolly too many IMHO, but understandable), and lots of castle/dungeon type settings. But what else would everyone like to really see?

Regd's,
/P

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 9:43 AM

Should be "introduction" heh - love this laptop, hate it's keyboard. /P

Kiera ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 9:48 AM

Well, I am always looking for sci-fi and gothic. =) Welcome to Poser!

PabloS ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 3:29 PM

There seems to be a shortage of sci-fi and hi-tech stuff (compared to the others)

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 5:10 PM

Sci-fi it is then (I'm practically overloaded with sci-fi textures, so this shouldn't be a problem.) While waiting for some stuff to come back from a few Titanic afficianadoes (photographs mostly... there's only a couple authentic ones of the staircase, so I'm looking to get more in the way of color and texture before I fire it all up), I've been goofing with an atrium-like setup (gotta make the curved stairway templates somehow :)... It wouldn't take much to spruce it up and make it futuristic. I should have a preliminary image either by late tonight or tomorrow (stuck at work 'til 9pm tonight, bored stiff, etc. ) /P

Kiera ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 5:19 PM

rubs her hands together I just love it when interiors modellers start playing with Poser scenes. ;) I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Gazukull ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 6:35 PM

Woot! Ship cockpits (of the space faring variety) and I'm with everyone else on any Sci-fi Settings in general. Like say "Street corner Ala Coruscant" that sort of thing. This is exciting, Woot! Har har.

Kiera ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 6:42 PM

I would kill for a nice cockput/bridge, with a captain's chair and computer displays. ;)

nikitacreed ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 7:02 PM

What I would kill for: (not necessarily to be taken as requests due to the complexity of some. LOL!)

1. A Palace. Not a medieval one. More like the palace of Czar Nicholas of old Russia.

2. Notre Dame. From the inside and outside. Or one or the other.

3. The Temple of Zeus. heh

4. A good old Southern Antebellum Home.

5. A Fremen Sietch or the Imperial Palace on Kaitain.

6. The inside of one of the Pyramids at Giza.

7. An old, abandoned house with holes in the walls and stuff. (Blair Witch ending style.)

8. A replication of any room or structure painted by John William Waterhouse. (For personal enjoyment. LOL!)

9. An old catherdral (not as old as Notre Dame), with arched and stained glass windows with exquisitely carved cherubim and seraphim in the molding.

10. And finally...an industrial kitchen. (I'm a woman..I have a thing for big kitchens.

Hey...you asked. LOL! ;o)

nikitacreed ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 7:04 PM

BTW: Thank you in advance for whatever you decide to create and give us rabid 3-Daholics. :O)

Lyrra ( ) posted Thu, 10 January 2002 at 7:13 PM

Some person here made the bow of the Titanic (about a year ago, maybe longer) Very detailed model. As far as rooms go - I'm looking for a sci-fi conferance room. You know kind of council of planets - with a central dias and four or five smaller areas for other emmisaries from other planets. Other rooms/architecture that I haven't seen: command center(fantasy, sci-fi and modern), theatre (movie, stage and concert), hydroponics on starship, ship engine room (space, steam nuclear, sailing), Good ship deck model (pleasure boat, freighter, cruise, clipper, frigate), alien buildings and ship interiors, interior of fairy/elf fantasy structures (plus furniture?), hallways!, a 'normal' american house, a trailer home, non-american normal housing, historical housing, a hut, teepee interior, tent interior Ok I'll stop now :) If you feel like making textures - I've found that full wall textures go over well, as do texture kits (with matching components) I've made a bunch, but there's always space for more! Lyrra

bknoh ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2002 at 2:08 AM

I would love to see a restaurant with patio (for those romantic Vicky/Mike dates) and an dirty old cobwebby attic. A nice toy store would be great, too. (hey, guys...you could make wee sci-fi figures to sell)

VirtualSite ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2002 at 2:35 AM

Have you seen the screenshots from TITANIC: ADVENTURE OUT OF TIME? The Grand Staircase, as well as a lot of the other architectural features, in there is damn close to the actual thing.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.