Sat, Sep 21, 6:17 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: making poser clothes-mac omputer

maxapple ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2002 at 6:27 AM ยท edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 1:03 PM

can someone tell me what programs i can use to make poser clothing? i have a mac.i have amapi4.15,pixels,strata3d.

Jim Burton ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2002 at 7:01 AM

Let me warn you, it is going to be tougher than on a PC, for a couple of reasons- Macs like to associate files with the program that saved them, so if you use a text editor to make a tiny change on a CR2 the Mac is going to think it is a Simple Text file, not a Poser one, the other problem is a lot of the nice little free utilities we all know and love and use are PC only. There are work arounds for both, it could be done, but it is sort of easier to get a cheap (and they are cheap!) PC. To work on the actual mesh you need to save or convert to OBJ format, I don't remember Strata being able to do that, never used the others.

gyusaku ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2002 at 9:53 AM

If the program can save an Wavefront OBJ file (.obj) you should be able to make clothes. For the details of the matter check out some of the great tutorials that are in the tutorials section. As for programs you will need to work with the files get BBEdit (BBEdit lite is a free and powerful text editing program - www.barebones.com), Macconverter 1.1.4(www.soft-rabbit.com),and UV Mapper (for textures -www.uvmapper.com). As far as making changes to a file and poser not recognizing it, anytime you make a change in a file just drag and drop it on macconverter...problem solved (if you are working in BBEdit it's even easier because you can save the changes and BBEdit does not change the kind of file that it is so Poser still recognizes it). I have found the Mac a wonderful platform for poser, so good luck and enjoy.

doozy ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2002 at 12:05 PM

I use a Mac mesh program called Meshwork

dave3 ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2002 at 12:58 PM

Amapi is great for modeling, but version 4 is very difficult to get to obj format. Version 6 can export directly. I'm not familiar with Strata 3D -- if you are comfortable with it and it exports obj, use it. If you're up to editing CR2s, I just use word, save as text only and drop it right on macconverter. Works like a charm! Any problems you encounter are more than made up for by the platform's ease of use.

bobhobz ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2002 at 2:32 PM

Okay, I'm very new at this and I'm trying to understand something... The basic mesh diagrams of the clothing upon which you place the various store-bought, default and freebie clothing textures is something that can not be manipulated or created in a drawing program? CR2 files are text? So if you want to create an original item of clothing for a Poser figure, it's a programming type thing right?

Jim Burton ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2002 at 3:21 PM

Those mesh diagrams you see are just templates that are used for creating and placing textures on the right spot, they are actually created from the mapping that is applied when the mesh is created in the modeling application. Yes, the CR2 files are just text files, but huge ones - 8000 pages or so, often, so it is helpful to use a utility to work on 'em. I also should add that this whole making clothing thing gets really complicted really quick, it is not something you pick up in a couple of days, or even a couple of weeks.

bobhobz ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2002 at 8:32 PM

I see, well the reason I ask is that I'm planning several projects that will require the creation of some original characters for a graphic novel and some digital paintings. Thing is, I'm nervous about the whole copyright thing. If I take a Victoria figure, add the Asia photo-realistic body texture, put some clothes on her from the CDs that they sell at DAZ and change the colors,etc....everything still belongs to the respective companies that created them right? Even if I morph the features to look like my wife, it still belongs to Poser, DAZ and whoever made the clothes? Somehow it doesn't seem logical because if I do a painting using a Fredrix canvas, Grambacher Paints and Badger airbrush colors, the painting is still MINE to sell. I should think the same sort of thing applies to our 3d creations. Or am I way out in left field here. Bob

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Tue, 15 January 2002 at 8:37 PM

Well as long as you are using those as artwork only and not selling/distributing the mesh or textures it should be fine for the most part. The Daz stuff is in the example you gave and I think the rest are. The picture is still yours to sell.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.