Fri, Sep 20, 10:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Meshes and booleans

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2002 at 7:32 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 7:53 AM

Since it's been a while since it was brought up, I'm wondering if there is anyone here who can successfully do boolean differences with Vue 4 when using an imported mesh. It works just fine with Vue 4's primitives, but not at all with an imported mesh, and I mean even with the simplest of simple, like a 14 polygon cube. Not in Vue 4.03, that is. It works perfectly in Vue 3.1.

kruzr ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2002 at 9:38 PM

Hi MikeJ . . . It's funny you've brought this up today, I was just trying it again this morning. No, it still doesn't work. I've tried several times, since owning Vue 4, & Vue 4.03, to do a Boolean difference with an imported object, ( even a very simple object ), but it just won't work. I end up with a very distorted final object. Maybe E-on will have a solution or fix ready for the next patch??? I hope. Heheheh. Have a good one . . . Mark. 8^)

MightyPete ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2002 at 9:39 PM

You'd think this would work but it don't. Make the boolean in 3.1 then import it into Vue 4 but that don't work. Vue 4 breakes the boolean. The point being all my art that I've done in 3.1 now will not work in 4.03 if there is booleans inside. Lots, more than 90% of my work is dead right now.

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2002 at 10:06 PM

Hmmm... interestingly enough, it doesn't seem to work so well with terrains either.

sittingblue ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2002 at 11:21 PM

MikeJ, I tried a boolean subtraction from a Vue 4.03 dead tree with no luck. I hope you've let E-on know about this over-sight.

Charles

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2002 at 11:33 PM

Yeah, it's on a very recent official bug list which originated in the Yahoo Groups Vue email list. Using boolean differences on the terrains in Vue 3.1 was unpredictable at best, but still better than what I've seen in Vue 4. However, it doesn't surprise me about the trees and plants, because they are very unusual "objects", really, and not much like meshes.

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2002 at 2:41 AM

Mike, If ever you need to "take off" a part of a dead tree, use alpha maps (and take off the part in your paint program). If you want to make completely invisible the trunk (and the branches)of any other tree, I have a tutorial for it. I use this when I apply vegetations to a wall, a roc or a terrain what should look like hanging plants. Guitta

MikeJ ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2002 at 4:48 AM

Actually Guitta, I don't use the booleans on anything in Vue, so it's not a problem, but I was mostly wondering if this was another user-specific problem, like the .BUM file one.

gebe ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2002 at 4:54 AM

No, Mike. Booleans on trees never were possible, not in Vue 3 and not in Vue 4. But effectively, the booleans with terrains were better in Vue 3.1. Guitta

MikeJ ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2002 at 5:04 AM

I thought so too, and after I wrote that last night I tried it and not only did a boolean experiment I did with a terrain end up looking better in Vue 3,but it rendered alot quicker, too.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.