Sat, Sep 21, 9:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Poser Gallery for pure Poser renders ???? Sure ?

LuckyLook ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2002 at 12:23 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:30 AM

Maybe this has been said yet, but... Did you notice that some of the most beautiful pics in the poser gallery are essentially Photoshop work ?

Micheleh ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2002 at 4:50 PM

Yeah, that's been one of the "hot topics" for some time. Postwork or purist? I think one of the difficulties with the "purist" position is that while Poser is an excellent human modeler, and a great scene creator (with effort), it has an extremely poor renderer. I would never use the native renderer for anything other thatn test runs. The alternatives? One, render in Poser, and enhance the image in Photoshop or similar. Two, use an alternative renderer. Unfortuntely, the available alternatives are often more expensive then Poser itself- Bryce, or Vue, for instance. And if you do use one of these for scenes and rendering, the respective "purists" here complain that you are cluttering their space with Poser output. A third alternative is to buy a more capable renderer, such as Mental Ray, but that's kind of like buying a gold box for copper jewelry. I couldn't afford it. I'm working on a fourth alternative now. (Not to be secretive, but as soon as I get a few more ducks in a row, I'll share. I'm in the just-an-idea stge right now.) As for the original question- I don't think the tools matter so much as the artist in this one. Beautiful work is beautiful work, no matter how it's done. We should encourage each other to do our best in any and every way, not waste time deriding others because our tools are better than theirs. The tool doesn't make the artist. (That was a general comment, btw. I'm sure you have been nothing but courteous with fellow artists, and are simply trying to help with a well-known point of contention.)

LuckyLook ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2002 at 1:50 AM

I agree with you, we have great artists in the galleries, no doubt. I'm admirative when I see what Voodoo or others are able to produce with Photoshop and Painter.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2002 at 12:41 PM

If you need a better renderer, POVRay is free, and works in nearly every OS out there. /P

LuckyLook ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2002 at 2:17 PM

I've made some tests with povray... free, yes, but not easy to learn and to use. Maybe I'll post some povray renders someday, but it's damn too slow to create something with it !

Micheleh ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2002 at 8:39 PM

That's where I'm going, actually- I want to work out the easiest and best way to import poser figures into Moray (likely Poseray), then to write a good basic tutorial on using Moray with POV for building scene elements, lighting, texturing and rendering.

LuckyLook ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2002 at 2:05 AM

Yes, maybe poseray is the solution, but it's not perfect. On the other hand, povray is a powerful tool. Superb procedural textures, atmospheric effects, radiosity, caustics...

Micheleh ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2002 at 2:18 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=133031&Start=1&Artist=Micheleh&ByArtist=Yes

Right. I've found it better to export a poser model as .obj and import it into Moray with the mesh import plugin. The only obstacle I'm having right now is that I need a way to increase the polycount of the .obj models. They export from poser too low count, and end up looking faceted. (I didn't see an option in Poser for high-poly exporting, either.) If you look at my "peg" pic, hte horse is a poser export. I hid the poly-osity with a bump map. *sigh* There has to be a way to fix that. (The rest of the scene was built in Moray. It took a day- just a fun little exercise.)

LuckyLook ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2002 at 4:48 AM

I don't know how it works with moray, but when you use Poseray, it converts to .pov files using smooth triangles that make the model look soft. Poseray can create Moray's .udo files, you should try this.

Micheleh ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2002 at 11:01 AM

I just downloaded it, so I'll be trying it today. :]

ronknights ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 9:10 AM

Maybe I'm ignorant, lazy or both. I don't want to try placing Poser stuff into another program for renders if it is too complicated. In my book, you should be able to save a Poser project, then open it "directly" into the other program. I mean the entire project without the need to fiddle with objects, grouping, whatever. There should be a way to do this. Ron

Micheleh ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 3:45 PM

Can you save an "entire" scene as a single .pz3 file? It should be possible, then. Let me look into it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.