Sat, Sep 21, 5:52 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: How to turn an .obj into a prop?

JDexter ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2002 at 2:16 PM ยท edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 8:56 AM

Newb again, Couldn't seem to find the answer to this. I am working heavily in learning Carrera and am starting to finally turn out some decent (to me at least) things that would make nice props in poser. I know I can import them in as objects, but it would be nice to turn them into actual props for poser so they can be used (and scaled) easier and also put some morph targets in there. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Right now I am mostly turning things in my house into 3d objects (started with 1 piece items, moved to multi-piece, etc) Thanks in advance, JDexter

dave3 ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2002 at 2:34 PM

Once you have the object imported into Poser, scale it, color it, apply maps, etc. Then just add it to your prop library. (Use the + button.) Name it what you want, and that's pretty much it, I think. (If it's parented to something else, it will prompt to make it a smart prop.)

geep ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2002 at 2:52 PM

JD, After you have created a prop in Carrara, and if you have used real world dimensions. (i.e., used feet and inches, or metric measure) I suggest that you: 1. save your object in .obj format 2. run Poser and ... 2. import your object into Poser as follows: ... UNcheck "Percent of Standard Figure Size:" ... Import the .obj ... the new object should be "selected" [i.e., it's name should appear above the parameter dials] (the new object may not be visible - don't worry, it will be) Set the "Scale" of the new object to 1.05%. You can easily do this by clicking on the "numerical value" just above the "dial." The number will change to a small text window that you can edit. Enter "1.05" and "click" outside the small text window, or just hit "Enter." Now go to [menu] "Figure" ---->"Drop Figure to Floor" You should now see your object on the "ground" and in the center of the Poser studio. Before you do anything else, "export" the object from Poser (make sure to UNcheck the ----> "export as morph target") and immediately re"import" the object. This causes the numerical value of the "Scale" of your object to be 100% instead of 1.05%. You now have your object in Poser and can save it to the prop library. Any questions, feel free to ask. cheers, dr geep <-----------------------(still in the "import" business) ;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

ARME ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2002 at 3:18 PM

Interesting, I just started with making props myself with Rhino.

Does anyone know how to make a prop conforming ?

geep ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2002 at 3:32 PM

You can not make a prop "conform." [per se] You can make a "smart prop" that will (if previously specified) load into a predefined position relative to the figure to which it was associated. The prop must have been saved in the library as a "smart prop" in order for this to work. In order to be "conforming," the object must be a "figure," and comply with the naming conventions required by Poser in order to work PROPerly. ;=] The (conforming) figure is loaded as a "New figure" and then "conformed" to the main figure. cheers, dg ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

ARME ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2002 at 3:48 PM

That's a real pity ! But "smart" props will do fine as well. Thanks for the quick reply Geep. - ARME -

geep ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2002 at 5:56 PM

MP ;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.