Fri, Sep 20, 9:58 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: HELP

L13RAF ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 10:44 AM Ā· edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:55 AM

Greetings from England, I was recently scanning through the pages when I came across a model wearing red indian squaw clothing and jewellry and guess what, I can no longer find it and would really like to buy it. Anybody out there help with this request. Steve

VirtualSite ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 11:10 AM

Take a look at http://poserworld.com/PWFWfree.asp -- the Indian girl there might be a solution, and I think she's still available.

VirtualSite ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 11:12 AM

And BTW -- please watch the term "squaw". Yeah, yeah, I know, the whole world is PC-happy - tell me something I don't know... but that's a really derogatory term, okay?

shadowcat ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 11:56 AM

i didn't know that "squaw" was a derogatory term, I thought it was a word from one of the indian languages that meant wife. if not, then what does squaw mean?

Puntomaus ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 12:00 PM

...watch the term "squaw"... ooops, I always thought that this is the normal term for an indian girl or woman. But I live in germany and I only know Indians from the movies where an indian girl is usually named Squaw. Ok, learned something :-).

Every organisation rests upon a mountain of secrets ~ Julian Assange

VirtualSite ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 12:09 PM

You're right, Shadow: it started that way. But since then, it's become as questionable a term as that n-word. It's just unfortunate when words change meanings in a negative way like that, but they do.

ronknights ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 12:44 PM

Well I'm surprised no one mentioned that in the US, the "Politically Correct" term for "Indian" is "Native American." After all the Native Americans were only called Indians because Columbus thought he'd landed in India!! I think Native American has been the proper term for a decade or so in the US. If you don't live in the US, I can see how you might not know. I don't know a lot of things about England (even if that is where my ancestors came from.) Ron

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 1:29 PM

Attached Link: http://woodenhorsestudio.com/chohole.htm

It could also be Mikona, she's in the store over at DAZ. She comes with a dress, but you have to buy her hair separately. I have done some Native american textures , which fit on the dresswith scarf that is on the costume shop cd from DAZ. they are free.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to developĀ  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

VirtualSite ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 1:32 PM

putting in plug for Chohole -- and the tipi texture ain't too bad either, ma'am! (BTW: have reworked those cowboy shirt textures and gotten them down to a manageable file size -- check yer e-mail tomorrow morning)

Hiram ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 1:47 PM

Until you ask them. I live in the Northwest, where there are a LOT of Indians around and most of them I've met self-refer as Indians. The only folks around here who insist on "Native American" are the PC-folk, both white and native, and most everybody else just giggles at them, both white and native. "American" is questionable as well, since America was named after an Italian, Amerigo Vespucci. "Turtle Islanders" won't work 'cause they don't all subscibe to the same tribal mythos. What to do? How about we worry more about their civil rights and less about what "we" should call "them"? I've been on both sides of the PC terminology argument (as a white man having spent a considerable amount of time married to a black woman) and have just come to the conclusion that there will always be something to be offended at if you want to put all your energy into being overly sensitive in meaningless ways. VERY few words carry the extremely negative conotation of the "n" word by the way. "Redskin" comes to mind, but even that has been manufactured into a non-PC term. It survived in a benign sense long after the negative attitudes about Indians died down, and was not entirely pejorative like n*. Sheesh. Sorry, I kind of went into a zone there. But I'm better now.

ronknights ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 1:51 PM

I lived in Minnesota for about 20 years. There is a large population of Native Americans there. That's what they wanted to be called, and I obliged. Ron

VirtualSite ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 2:20 PM

Sorry, I kind of went into a zone there. Here. Have some of Cin-'s cookies. Works every time.

Hiram ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 2:26 PM

MMmmm! munch I, rmphrch, mmbmgh, (excuse me) swallow much better. Less cranky. Must get the recipe.

Hiram ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 2:26 PM

Thanks!

ronknights ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 2:59 PM

file_276029.jpg

Oh, Please.

3-DArena ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 3:39 PM

lol someone asks for a squaw and we get a conversation on PC I love it here :-) Technically Squaw came about from the french and is only a deragatory term in some tribes.... My bio-family refers to themselves as Indians as well as native americans... they don't seem to care... Although why native american?? after all they didn't refer to the continent as America.... nor would they have liked to be bulked together as all one tribe... My sister-in-law is Bolivian and she has a fit if someone calls her indian, hispanic or Latino - the indians live in the ghetto she says (snobbish attitude from someone who milked the welfare system and dumped her kids on me) and she is a "true Spaniard" she says... I have friends who hate the terms Hispanic - what is a hispanic anyhow?? One friend proudly says he is Mexican the other is Spanish.... Interesting....

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 4:10 PM

Well, seeing as how I was born and raised in the US, I would prefer it if people stopped calling me a "white trailer trash ho" and started calling me what I really am - a Native American trailer trash ho. giggle Kate (no really, I'm just kidding you guys. I don't live in a trailer)

Hiram ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 4:12 PM

See? What'd I say? sigh Cookie?

ronknights ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 4:35 PM

My former home was a "trailer." So am I former white trailer trash?! '

Hiram ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 5:14 PM

I prefer "Re-cyclable Pre-Fabricated-Home European-American " thank you very much.

VirtualSite ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 5:32 PM

My paternal grandmother was Navaho, and trust me, she'd happily whack you upside the head if you even suggested she was a "squaw". I can still remember my grandfather saying that term once in jest when he thought she was out of earshot.... yikes!!!

3-DArena ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 5:40 PM

Navajo's and hopi's are among the tribes that find the term Squaw offensive... I believe it's the mid-west tribes that don't. I'm from Phx. AZ originally big deal there when I left about changing the name of the mountain Squaw Peak and then the schools Squaw Peak and Squaw roads and .... you get the picture...

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

littlefox ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 6:01 PM

Blink Blink? Squaw wasn't actually french language when last I heard it's origin.... more that it was a translation error of a local tribe when white man came to trade. In the corse of trying to learn the other's language, they were trying to find the native word for woman/wife. There were several failed attempts at communicating what they were trying to say and the one that finally stuck was something of a vulgar gesturing regarding sex and if I'm not loosing my mind, it was actually for the part of the male anatomy that was involved.... but the white man never seemed to figure it out. Though this could be a wives tale told to us by our instructor.... my east coast indian history is off a bit.... grew up on cherokee land, so we didn't cover much of the north east North Americas. Either way, generally a good idea not to use the word Squaw around someone who would take offense at being called a 'dyke' or a 'b*tch' or a 'ho''.... saves further upset from the PC and those who might actually be able to translate it ;) Lil'fox

cooler ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 6:27 PM

Attached Link: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/000317.html

read all about it

littlefox ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 6:31 PM

Chuckles, thanks Cooler ;)

VirtualSite ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 6:35 PM

Love the last line. LOL! Thanks, cooler.

chohole ( ) posted Thu, 21 February 2002 at 12:12 AM

Very instructional, and now are we all going to be PC on the PC

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to developĀ  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

Hiram ( ) posted Thu, 21 February 2002 at 1:11 PM

Hey!! Let's not just assume everybody's using a PC, okay? As a MacUser I find that very offensive. Just kidding. Great link, cooler. Context is everything. Example: Some women currently feel offended when referred to as "girls" (as well as many men). That doesn't mean the word is itself an insult.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.