Sun, Sep 22, 12:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 10:34 pm)

Subject: Roman soldier for Poser 4?

Teknoman ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2000 at 10:51 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 10:40 PM

Okay, this is my first time posting on these boards, so if anything's screwed up about it, I'm Sorry. I'm willing to trade with anyone who could provide me either a fully-built Roman soldier figure, or a link to one. I don't have a credit card, or else I would've just bought the one from CacheForce. Thanks.

wyrwulf ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2000 at 10:54 PM

Check baumgarten enterprises, link on the right, for free props to build your own roman soldier. There are many other sites that might have the props you need, this is just one off the top of my head.

Sprout ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2000 at 11:51 PM

If you dont find all you need E mail me I am currently in the process of that very figure. Snazzeroo@earthlink.com would be glad to help. also would be willing to do custom work no trade needed :O)

Teknoman ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2000 at 11:54 PM

Thanks a lot for the suggestion Wyrwulf. But I've known about that site for a long time (in fact, I think I knew about it before I knew about this site). True, they've got a lot of great stuff. But I didn't feel right about their helmet design (hey, if you're gonna build a model, might as well make it the way you want it to look, right?). Thanks much though. Anyone else?

Teknoman ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2000 at 12:02 AM

Whoa! When I came back here, Wyrwulf's post was the only answer. Then when I post, all the sudden I see Sprout's post! =) Okay I admit it, I'm lazy. That's why I'm asking for a fully assembled figure. Technically, I could assemble one myself if I just had the props, but that's where I suck. I'm really new to 3DSMax and all my attempts at making a helmet have failed. I wouldn't dream of just going up to a stranger all like "PLEEEEZE PLEEEEEEZE MAKE ME A MODEL!!!" LOL. If it floats your boat though, all I really need is a leather-ish upper-body armor thing and a helmet. If you told me "I'll only do ONE model for you and that's IT"...I'd choose the helmet. In any case, thanks! :)

Sprout ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2000 at 1:26 AM

sorry Teknoman its been a busy night :O) I will work on it tomarrow and post a pic here If I can get my "joint peramiter' idea straight then it will be a far better piece than I expect trying replicate something like the "Age of Empires " look, just in case you have the game. any ways I will do my best to respond by tomarrow. :O)

Teknoman ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2000 at 2:14 AM

Well, I've never seen the game (seeing as I tend to pay attention to more sci-fi, shoot-em-up type games). But sounds great so far! I'll be sure to check in tomorrow then! Thanks a lot! :) Later!

Teknoman ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2000 at 2:09 PM

I agree...A historically accurate figure would be nice. Which is why I asked for leather breast-plating. I notice most sites tend to go for a metallic look, but the encyclopedia I'm reading from says Roman soldiers wore leather (which kinda makes sense really). Yeah, I suppose CacheForce might take a money order if I asked 'em. But then that'd mean waiting for them to get it through snail mail, wouldn't it? I'd hate to go through all that for a file that could just as easily be downloaded in about five minutes or less. Judging from Sprout's very generous offer, I think I'd like to save CacheForce as a last resort anyways. :)

verg ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2000 at 6:33 PM

The armour I think you are trying to produce is called Lorica Segmentata and it was made of iron. In previous decades/centuries people look at various funerary stella, monuments, architectural decorations, etc and thought the stuff was made of leather. Not too long ago, two complete specimens (still intact!) were found in Britain. "Leather" scholars threw the towel in immediately and everyone now agrees the legionary armour was of iron. If you would like to see some outstanding examples of reproductions in use try: http://freehosting2.at.webjump.com/1fc9f4696/le/legioxx-webjump/images/atcrowd.JPG See if your local college library has Russell's Roman Armour book. This partucular group even has patterns available. . . hmmmm I wonder if the patterns would make modeling easier? Hope this helps. Verg

Sprout ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2000 at 6:39 PM

1: I have run into a snag on the helmet( seem to be getting some mysterious holes on the mesh) but I am working hard on getting it repaired so please, I will get this done asap I have put all other projects aside to finish this :O) 2: I would also like to see a more "historically" correct suit of armor and would do my best to create not just one but several types.(not to say the models available aren't superb) My only problem is good reference, so if you have stumbled across some good sites for me to use as reference, please email me a list of links or post them in this thread. 3 Teknoman, Are you looking for this for a project that has a deadline? I dont want to hold you up . But if your not the wait will be well worth it I promise. :O)

Sprout ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2000 at 6:40 PM

wow You type fast verg. Thankyou going there now Sprout :O)

Sprout ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2000 at 6:44 PM

hrmmm not getting the page just an error mssg?

verg ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2000 at 6:59 PM

Hmmm, try the home page first: http://legioxx.webjump.com I have noticed connection problems with webjump before Verg

verg ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2000 at 7:03 PM

Ooops, the authoritative source is not Russell's but rather R. Robinson's . . . . sorry . . . Also, the forementioned group also has excellent line drawings and explanations for most of their kit. Verg

Sprout ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2000 at 7:13 PM

Thankyou looking now lotsa info here :O)

Teknoman ( ) posted Fri, 14 January 2000 at 9:04 PM

Okay Verg, thanks for that info! :) Sprout, you think you can have it all done and stirdy in a week or so?

CEBrown ( ) posted Wed, 19 January 2000 at 2:55 PM

IIRC, Roman armor included a leather breastplate and a metal "skirt." Officers and such would have metal inlaid on the breastplate, and some lower ranking officers would enhance the armor with wooden slats (hence the "banded armor" of the Dungeons and Dragons game, for example). Wealthier soldiers would use iron but most could only afford bronze.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.