Mon, Oct 7, 2:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bad I/O when importing from Poser, please help. Thanks!

mumblebox ( ) posted Mon, 11 March 2002 at 8:02 PM ยท edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 12:24 AM

Greetings everyone! I am relatively new to Poser and Bryce but am very familiar working in 3d. (My dad has owned Truspace ever since its been around and I fooled around with it alot for text and such..) So please feel free to whap me if I am being too newbie-ish. Anyway, I was using this tutorial to export from poser into bryce. http://www.awakemm.com/poserarcana/tutorials/tb/tb01/index.html I followed it to the letter, but Bryce gives me an error message each time I try to import the object. I am exporting from Poser 4 as a Wavefront Object. Whenever I import, Bryce 5 gives me an error that reads "Could not open object: I/O error." Please advise me as to what I should do. I specifically bought Bryce to do landscaped for my poser characters, and I hope I didn't waste my money.. :-( Anyway, any and all adice is appreciated! (Running Poser 4 with service updates, and Bryce 5 with service updates... p3 600mhz with 512mb ram, Geforce 3) Thanks!

Debbie M. ( ) posted Mon, 11 March 2002 at 10:24 PM

Hi mumblebox, what a coincidence, I was just on my way here to find out the same answer :) I've tried everything I know possible, and on some things I still get the i/o error. A while back someone suggested the "Grouper" program, and while I've used it successfully many times, on some obj's I still get the error. Does anyone have the correct solution for this?? I too and running Poser Pro Pack with all updates, and Bryce 5 with all updates. 1.4ghz, 768mb ram, so I dont think our problem is our systems. Thanks for any assistance you brycers out there :) Deb

Debbie M.

rubycon ( ) posted Mon, 11 March 2002 at 10:26 PM

I used to get the same error message when importing from Ray Dream Studio. You need to load the object into a file translation program and resave it as an OBJ object. Crossroads and 3D Exploration are two popular ones. Rubycon

Debbie M. ( ) posted Mon, 11 March 2002 at 10:29 PM

Rubycon, would it be possible for you to give us the url to either or both of those popular ones? Being fairly new to the 3d world, I've never heard of them. Thanks so much! Deb

Debbie M.

rubycon ( ) posted Tue, 12 March 2002 at 12:56 AM

You can find them here...
http://home.europa.com/~keithr/Crossroads/index.html

http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/3dexplore/downloads/index.htm

Apparently 3D Exploration is now only a 30-day version.

Rubycon

jonwatso ( ) posted Tue, 12 March 2002 at 10:35 AM

Hi mumblebox.
I had the bad I/O with several Daz3d imports from Poser Pro into Bryce. There seem to be some errors in the original .OBJ files supplied with the models. If you can examine the final .OBJ listing in a good text editor (the files are quite large) you find many rows of vn ("vertex normals") figures. Each row should have vn followed by three numbers. Some rows can be corrupted i.e. they have a hash symbol # mixed up with the three values. Taking these out, e.g. by replacing the hash string with a space character seems to be O.K. and eliminates the I/O error.
I suspect that Daz, or the original model maker, has a dodgy compiler. BTW, Grouper does not help since the errors are in the model data and are just passed through.
Best regards, John

Bladesmith ( ) posted Fri, 15 March 2002 at 5:37 PM

I've had this problem quite often and figured out a work around for it... I export all figures and props seperatly. A bounding box with each export is a good idea. A few of my favorite poser props will not import into bryce as an obj but work fine as 3ds. A recent example...I exported everything, figure and all, as an obj from poser and bryce didn't like it one bit. So I exported the main figure and the hair, with a bounding box, as an obj. Bryce had no problem with this. So I exported the clothing and the bounding box only, as obj, and bryce coughed and said no. Ah ha! Exported it as a 3ds and bryce had no problem. Then the props and bounding box were exported as a 3ds because I was getting tired of bryce rejecting my obj's... Then to align them all in bryce, the obj's had to be turned -90* in the x axis, and the 3ds's had to be rotated -90x and 90 one way or the other in the Y... Man, ain't bryce fun... So try exporting it as a 3ds if you can't get the obj to work. What will really make your head hurt is when poser exports the clothes but for some reason looses the pose!?! I haven't figured that one out yet...If bryce wasn't bad enough, then you got poser to help complicate the matter! Also, poser export 3ds's need to be smoothed in bryce, and this can throw off the seams between objects (meaning an occasional big gaping hole). Poser exported obj's don't seem to need smoothing, usually. Dunno if this helped...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.