Tue, Sep 24, 2:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: How to extract PZ3 scene files into CR2

cylui ( ) posted Fri, 08 March 2002 at 3:22 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 2:27 AM

Anyone knows how to extract the pz3 file to cr2, prop, etc.? I heard there might be a utility to do it? I want to to able to load a pz3 file into poser4 and be able to save the character into the library. Thanks.

geep ( ) posted Fri, 08 March 2002 at 3:30 PM

Just load the pz3 file into poser4 and save the character into the library.

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Impudicus Rex ( ) posted Fri, 08 March 2002 at 3:36 PM

Or you could open the .pz3 in a text editor and remove all the extraneous information and save with the .cr2 suffix.

geep ( ) posted Fri, 08 March 2002 at 3:37 PM

After you have loaded the .pz3 file into Poser ...

Open the "Figures" library and select which one you want to put your character in.

Make sure that your character is selected.
(shown just under the studio window)

Adjust your camera (lights, etc.) because what you see in the document window is what will be displayed as the thumbnail picture when you save it to the library.

Now, just click the "+" (plus sign) at the bottom of the library window and your character will be saved in the library.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Jaager ( ) posted Fri, 08 March 2002 at 4:58 PM

Back in the Poser 3 days, CR2Edit in its early versions would do it. It could not handle Poser 4 pz3. I know of no utility that can. Geep's method is best if you are willing to accept someone else's stage setup, and the easiest way at any rate. If, like me, you hate even seeing the setup, you remove all the crap between actors and the second geometry call, just before Channels and also the documents stuff after Materials, then put it in a Library with the correct extension.

masha ( ) posted Sat, 09 March 2002 at 7:58 PM

Here's Schlabber's take on this in case you want to save 2 characters at once.

'A complete-scene-character file (or adding 2 figures at once)

Quite easy. Just take a *.pz3 (this is the Poser-Data-Format), rename it to *.cr2.
Copy it to the character folder, go back to Poser.
Open the scene. Save it in Poser under a new character-name (to have the preview-image).
Open a file editing-tool (Windows Explorer) delete the 'new-saved' *.cr2 and rename the 'new-saved' *.rsr with exactly the same name then your old *.pz3 (now it is called somewhat.cr2) - finished.
Now you can quickly add this scene without openning it!

Example 1:
Name of PZ3: scenea.pz3
Rename scenea.pz3 to scenea.cr2
Copy it to runtime/libraries/character
Go to poser and open this *.cr2 - you'll notice there's an image missing
Save the scene under another name (scenea2).
Go back to the windows-explorer (alt+tab) and refresh it (F5)
Now delete scene2.cr2 and rename scene2.rsr to scenea.rsr '

OOps, it just occured to me to wonder whether I'm allowed to copy this verbatim into a forum...?

At any rate Schlabber's site: www.schlabber.org

Great poses.
Cheers,
Masha

Havi ( ) posted Mon, 11 March 2002 at 9:05 AM

Hallo, there is a little program. "PZ3 to CR2" Copyright Mr.X. I think i found it under Freestuff in Renderosity. Havi

cylui ( ) posted Mon, 11 March 2002 at 9:14 AM

When I tried to open the PZ3 and tried to save the character into the character library, some of the props are missing. I believe I can see the eyeballL and eyeballR on the original scene but when I save the character, all eyeballs are missing. Any hints? Thanks. As to using the editor to edit the PZ3 file....where is the starting point and end point? Say if I just want to save the character or say if I want to save the Props (eyeballs)?

cylui ( ) posted Mon, 11 March 2002 at 9:27 AM

mmmm I couldn't find the pz3 to CR2 using search under the free stuff...did I do something wrong or it is not there?

Havi ( ) posted Mon, 11 March 2002 at 10:18 AM

This program is written by P. Mason aka Mr. X (mr1_x@hotmail.com) havi

cylui ( ) posted Tue, 12 March 2002 at 7:49 AM

Masha, I tried your method, when you say save the scene into another name, you mean save it to the character library with a new name, right? I did that, but strange thing happened, instead of having a rsr file I only get the obj file, which means I have one cr2 and one obj file instead of one cr2 and one rsr file. I have the Pro pack and it shouldn't be saving an obj file right? From the FAQ of this group only the older version will save obj info into the rsr file.....but I didn't have the rsr file created though.

cylui ( ) posted Tue, 12 March 2002 at 7:50 AM

Havi, I did a search and still couldn't find the file...guest they took it out from the free stuff?

dwilmes ( ) posted Tue, 12 March 2002 at 8:10 AM

Hi Jaager, "Back in the Poser 3 days, CR2Edit in its early versions would do it. It could not handle Poser 4 pz3." Version 3 was before P4 and wouldn't do P4 stuff, and the tool was dropped from some versions of CR2edit4, but is in ver5 and makes CR2's without the setup info. Some very early versions of 5 might leave the setup info in. regards, Dan http://www.zenwareonline.com for CR2Edit, ZenPaint, ZenTile, VueMaster and the complete line of Zenware graphics apps

Havi ( ) posted Tue, 12 March 2002 at 9:28 AM

Yes its gone. I dont know why. Havi

cylui ( ) posted Wed, 13 March 2002 at 7:40 AM

Does the CR2Edit allow you to save the props from the PZ3 file? i.e. the eyeball props....since I had problem saving the character with the eyes prop using the normal methods of saving into the character library.

dwilmes ( ) posted Wed, 13 March 2002 at 3:29 PM

Yes, embedded geom stays with the CR2. Dan http://www.zenwareonline.com for CR2Edit, ZenPaint, ZenTile, VueMaster and the complete line of Zenware graphics apps

masha ( ) posted Wed, 13 March 2002 at 8:21 PM

Hi Cylui,

A confession - I'm a newbie with Poser4, but collecting heaps of info and tutorials to try to come up to speed. Schlabber's tip for saving 2 figures was as yet untried by me when I passed on the tip. But I have just now given it a go.

Firstly you do the renaming of the .pz3 to .cr2 in Wind Explorer and it's there that you copy it to the Character library.

2 things happened. When I saved the original .pz3 of the 2 figures into the Character libarary it did not give me an .rsr file either (nor an .obj file for that matter) but the shrugging guy was in the library.

On opening it in Poser than pressing the + and using another name, the thumbnail of the 2 figures appeared in the library ok, and on returning to Wind Explorer this time there was an .rsr file. (The.rsr's being the shorthand version of an object file plus the thumbnail that appears in the library according to my info).

But... it now dawns on me that you are using the Pro Pack, and I am using Poser4 only, and according to what I've picked up here ProPack saves .png instead of .rsr files.
Did you get a .png with the renamed .cr2?

How it all works in Pro Pack I hope someone else can help with. But I also read that a freeware proggie called P3dOExplorer converts .png files to .rsr files, should you need it. You can find it here at Free downloads if you put it into the search window.

Hope this helps and good luck. :)
Masha

cylui ( ) posted Thu, 14 March 2002 at 7:29 AM

Thanks Masha, yes somehow the pro pack saved into .png and that is why I didn't see the rsr :-)

cylui ( ) posted Thu, 14 March 2002 at 7:30 AM

Thank You all for the valuable info :-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.