Tue, Oct 22, 10:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:16 am)

Subject: Crosstalk, has anyone suggested this and will it always work?

mabfairyqueen ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 8:49 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:24 AM

I've read a couple things written about cross talk and they go into renaming body parts and morphs, and figures, etc to avoid cross talk. The way I do it is, when I want more than one Victoria in a scene and I don't want them to share full body morphs through crosstalk, I spawn a new full body morph named after the character just for that given scene. I also do as the Daz tech tip suggested by Rob W. and rename the Victoria figure to match the name of the character. Then I turn off all the morphs and turn on the new full body one I just made. Then I pull in the next Victoria character and proceed to do the same for as many characters as I want based on Victoria. I never have a problem with cross talk this way. Now, I've never tried to spawn a full body morph from a bunch of full body morphs, because I usually create my figures body part by body part to get just the combination I want, so I don't know if you can spawn full body morphs from other full body morphs. Can you? I'll have to try it and see, but I know that I've never had a problem with crosstalk using this spawning a new full body morph from the individual parts method I just described. Anyone have more to share on this? I've never had a problem doing it this way, but that doesn't mean one couldn't occur that I don't know about. Are there any holes in my method?

bloodsong ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 9:52 AM

heyas; most people don't want to do that, because it would involve rebuilding a lot of full body morphs by setting each body part individually. well, that's why they invented full body morphs, cuz nobody wants to do all THAT! :) if you're tweaking everybody's individual body parts, you don't even need fbm's. no fbm's, no cross-talk. there's a solution. no, you can't spawn fbm's from fbms. or from magnets and stuff, it has to be from morphs that are turned on when you spawn the fbm. the problem really isn't working with the figures. you could load anything as figure one and solve cross talk for that session. the problem is saving and opening stuff. that's when poser gets confused and starts making figures point to the wrong blasted one. what i think actually happens is, poser goes flitting through the figures looking for the fbm that the dial supposedly belongs to. which i know is backwards, because you turn the fbm dial, and it should go find its pointers.... but it seems that if it goes to figure 1 and it can't find the fbm named in the slaved dials, it then looks in the other figures, and eventually finds its own dial. okay, that sounds stupid, but its the only explanation i can think of for why the slave dials point to "Figure 1" "BODY:1" and can still find their dial on a figure named "MyCustomMilleniumGit" "BODY:18". the slave dials STILL point to figure 1, even when they are loaded as a figure that has it's name changed to figure 2 or whatnot. (as far as i can tell; of course you can only look at a cr2/pz3 after poser saves it, not while it's working on it.) but i'm rambling. this is the make/break test, mab. load your first figure, and do all that, blah blah blah, load the second, etc etc, just like always. save everything as a pz3. open the pz3. if the figures are not confused as to which fbm points to which figure, then your method passes. :)

JeffH ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 10:05 AM

"MyCustomMilleniumGit"

LOL!

Okay. Sorry, I'll go back to being helpful :-)

Thanks for the tip. I don't mind doing a bit of work.

-Jeff

Gazukull ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 10:25 AM

Mab I do what you suggested and delete all the non used morphs. It speeds up Poser at the same time. - Gazzy

ronknights ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 11:00 AM

Attached Link: http://205.122.23.229/ronknights/tutor/crosstalk.zip

file_2635.jpg

I use a method taught to me by Gaz and Jaagar. This method permanently changes your characters so they're immune from crosstalk. This method is rather involved, but worked for my Marlin Fingle characters. Had you already investigated this? You can download the tutorial by clicking the link. Ron

mabfairyqueen ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 11:25 AM

Thanks everybody. This answers a lot of questions I had about cross talk. Now I have a new question that puzzles me to no end. In switching geometry, I've had the problem of pulling in a figure which switches geometry, like Anton's changing fantasy armour dooley dad for Mike and the second one I pull in will automatically go to the geometry switched settings of the first,when, for obvious reasons, I want it to be different. I like my people to have diversity. Does this have anything to do with a kind of cross talk or is this something else?

Jaager ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 11:35 AM

1)Spawn Morph Target is done at the level of each group.

2)Full Body Morphs are set from the master dials in BODY.

3)If you set several of the FBM at once, then go to each group and Spawn that new combo morph - it will be Spawned just as you see it. Spawn will use morph values set from FBM dials - no matter that no values show on the slave dials on the groups. Poser keeps those values in its RAM version of the file.

You are flirting with having a damaged, mismatched shape if you individually set the dials whose names begin with pbm-. IF you set them all to the same value, it is safe. But manipulating the shape by using different values for the same morph on different units of it usually causes deformities at the seams between the groups.

You do not have cross-talk using your method, because you set no FBM. But, you must not use any joint fixes either. If you set the elbow fix on the first figure, the shoulder part of the elbow fix on the second figure will take that same shape.

As Gazzy suggests, you should take this one more step. Make yourself a Vic (or any other Mil figure) cr2 with only those morphs that will be used by all figures: expression morphs, joint fixes, muscle flexes, gravity morphs, clothing fits. Delete all of the others. The Cr2 will be about 1/5 the size of the original for V2 (reduction less dramatic for the others.) = base cr2.
Once you have spawned your character morphs, save that cr2.
Open it in MM4 and open your base cr2 beside it. Copy just your character morphs over to the base and save this as your character cr2.

Poser seems to pull the whole cr2 into RAM when it is opened. The larger the cr2, the more resources it is using up. You can have five base figure Vic's and the same cost as one V2 cr2.

Poser - when it opens a cr2 - puts whatever the hell name it wants to in the master slot in the ERC script in every morph and channel in the file. It does not matter what you had entered there, it ignores it. The master slot cannot be changed by a JNT pose, it ignores it. You can change the rate in the ERC script, but not the master.

Butch ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 12:45 PM

Just out of curiousity, has CL actually thought about solving this problem? I read the stuff about the different solutions, but it seems that a fix in the basic code of the program would be better. I Know that CL is suppose to busy with P5, or at least I hope they are, but this seems to a real problem that should be fixed. Is this problem going to be inherited by P5? If so, maybe they should give people a discount for having to go through all the trouble of fixing characters so that they will work together. I don't recall this being a problem till they brought out Vickie. Perhaps an easy solution would be to change how she is put together and offer that as a patch. I don't know if that would work or not. Butch

Jaager ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 2:10 PM

It was a problem with P4, well before Victoria. Vic just has more FBM. As far as I know, CL has been silent on this issue. It may involve something very fundamental to how Poser works. Fixing it may be vey difficult. It seems to involve the way Poser defines a figure it is using.

nerd ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2002 at 3:51 PM
Forum Moderator

Attached Link: http://www.nerd3d.com/Tutorial/SuperMorph.htm#Shield

Using an integrated shield in your figure always works. Download the Cross Talk Fixer. Then visit the Nerd 3D EMC tutorial page and learn how to build a shield into your figure. Cross Talk no more. There are limitations, but it always works. [![ngsmall02.gif](http://www.nerd3d.com/Banners/ngsmall02.gif)](http://www.nerd3d.com)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.